Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,368 Members 52,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] kobo vox: install google market?

Tip us?

jakeopolis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] kobo vox: install google market?

hey all,

first post, apologies if this might be in the wrong place.

i've just picked up the kobo vox, and it's awesome, but i can't figure out how to get the android market running. i've got the apk installed, but the device doesn't give me the option to add a google account. the kobo vox explicitly says it supports the android marketplace, so i'm hoping i'm doing something wrong.

thanks!

FriendlyFire
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm in the same state. I've looked about and managed to use some of Cyanogen's packages to install a few core stuff like the framework and the market app itself, but trying to run the Market asks me to register a Google account, which always fails saying there was a connection issue. On a further reboot android.process.acore decided to crash every five seconds and I had to reset the device to factory settings.

This kinda sucks because the device is fairly solid, but the default "market" is a joke. I'm already annoyed by the fairly large amount of preinstalled apps (which can't be uninstalled, as usual), but not having proper Market access would probably be a deal killer.

lufc
Old
Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Thanks Meter 1485

DONATE TO ME
Please use the Q&A Forum for questions Thanks
Moving to Q&A
Pay attention and participate,Encourage,
not discourage, Listen to advice and accept instruction,
and in the end you will be wise.......... Prov. 19:20

Syncmaster700nf
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question What about Rooting?

I have run into the same problem. I think that before you can install the full android market we will have to Root the tablet. Has anyone tried the Gingerbreak.apk? Or is there some other way to Root the tablet?

BTallack
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncmaster700nf View Post
I have run into the same problem. I think that before you can install the full android market we will have to Root the tablet. Has anyone tried the Gingerbreak.apk? Or is there some other way to Root the tablet?
I've tried GingerBreak on my Kobo Vox and it seems to have installed, however I'm not certain the SU access is working properly. When I try repairing permissions in ROM Manager, I get the message "An Error occured trying to run priviledged commands!". It also fails when I try to backup my ROM.

This is honestly the first Android device I've ever owned so I'm not certain that I'm doing everything correctly. I did make sure to allow SuperUser permissions to ROM Manager, but I'm still getting errors. Any help from a Veteran Android user would be appreciated.

Syncmaster700nf
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Can't get past the Android Login

After rooting and installing Busybox I was able to install the Android Market but every time I try to login the app will not connect to the Market to confirm my ID, it seems to time out. Any Ideas on what I can try?

BTallack
Old
(Last edited by BTallack; 30th October 2011 at 08:54 PM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 0
Turns out my inability to repair permissions was simply due to me not having busybox installed. I can attest that GingerBreak does successfully root the tablet.

I'm hoping I can find a way to install Clockwordmod recovery in order to install the google apps from CM7. I tried simply copying the files into place without success.

spikexp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So, did you manage to install busybox? What version and where?

Tell me if you manage to install the recovery, the vox don't seem to have one by default.

If we manage to install all the google app and the googleframeworkservice, that would make the tablet a lot better and give the possibility to install the android market.

Syncmaster700nf
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was able to install busybox 4.3 /system/xbin. I do not know about a recovery mode but I did manage to put the tablet into "Safe Mode" after it do stock in a loop at bootup but I am not sure how I did it. According to user help you can not update the firmware from the SDcard.

spikexp
Old
(Last edited by spikexp; 30th October 2011 at 11:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Have you tried to install Clockwordmod?

I managed to install the googleserviceframework, but I need to install some other thing that don't want to install.
I also manage to install youtube (the real one) and it work great, I just can't sign in...

In the accounts & sync settings section, I can create a google account, but It can't communicate with the google server to set up the account, it give me the error:
"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server."
It's probably cause by some app that I didn't manage to install yet, like "onetimeinitializer", "googlepartnersetup" and some other...