[HOW-TO] Enable USB Charging
This guide is to enable USB charging on your Samsung Galaxy Tab.
- Any rooted ROM with Pershoot's kernel
- ScriptManager (free market app)
- USB Charging Script
- Ensure you have a rooted rom/custom rom with pershoot's kernel like task650 and PhantomHacker's In Paris rom. Download and install ScriptManager from Android Market. Download the script using the link above and store it anywhere on your tab.
- Open script manager
- Navigate to wherever you stored the script and choose it. Tick run as root and run on boot. Press run.
- If it asks for superuser/root access, please allow it.
- you're done. Press home to exit. Reboot.
Please read and follow all instructions and I am not responsible if anything goes wrong. this should not damage your battery. the reason why samsung disabled usb charging is not because they were worried it would damage the battery. it is because the tab charges very slowly over usb, so they didnt want people to leave a zero battery tablet charging overnight on their pc usb to wake up and find that its only charged 50%.
The common USB connections provide 5 volts DC and between 500mAh to 1,000mAh at most whereas the main power supply provides 12 volts DC and between 1200mAh to 2400mAh. Our Samsung Galaxy Tab needs about 2,000mAh for normal charging. This mod just lets you charge using that low voltage and current from the usb anyways. It is useful for someone like me who never lets the battery drain to zero and I am almost always next to a laptop so when I am watching tv or doing something else, it is always charging.
thanks to pershoot for his kernel, developers on this forum for their excellent roms.
thanks to Giblet-dono for his help and pointers in this thread