Can eBay Bad ESN Phones be used on Prepaid (e.g. PagePlus)

29th October 2011, 01:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

74 posts
There's a lot of bad ESN phones being sold on ebay. I'm not familiar with CDMA networks, but it appears that bad ESN = unpaid bills from previous owner or reported stolen.

If I purchase a bad ESN phone, can I use it on a prepaid carrier like Page Plus which is ESN-agnostic? Do I need to flash it and if so, how difficult is it? I've installed custom ROMs on GSM phones before, is flashing CDMA phones anymore complicated than that?

Is flashing the same as changing ESN, which I've read is illegal and can brick your phone.
Last edited by AndroAsc; 29th October 2011 at 01:12 PM.
29th October 2011, 04:11 PM   |  #2  
Flag Vandling, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,135

3,530 posts
More
Yes they can be used on some prepaid carriers. I know for sure boost mobile. As for how to flash it, sorry I have no clue. Im sure there are guides out there to do it though.
29th October 2011, 08:58 PM   |  #3  
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Flag T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...
Thanks Meter: 3,037

22,287 posts
Donate to Me
Thread moved to Q&A due to it being a question. Would advise you to read forum rules and post in correct section.

Failure to comply with forum rules will result in an infraction and/or ban depending on severity of rule break.
2nd January 2013, 05:54 PM   |  #4  
Flag Nasik
Thanks Meter: 2

68 posts
Donate to Me
More
I have been searching for a cheap note 2 n it seems that bad ESN phones are the cheapest....

So my question is If i buy a sprint bad ESN note 2 will it work in India with a CDMA connection... Will I have to unlock or flash it before using it...???
And if yes can anyone point me to the right thread or a tutorial...

Thanks in advance...!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Questions and Answers by ThreadRank