Sleep of Death - Workarounds

Search This thread

gabster21

Sep 7, 2010
Dubai
I’m creating this thread to help anyone who’s been affected with SOD (Sleep of Death). Here’s a brief history of what I’ve tried so far:
- I was running stock 2.2 for about a year, had lag, choppiness, etc.. but never a SOD
- Flashed CM7.1 2 weeks ago (stock kernel), phone is not amazingly fast but experiencing SODs every few days.
- Created a Tasker profile to wake the phone every 1 hour, (wait 5 seconds command), no SOD for a week
- This morning, got a SOD again.. missed my alarm and was late for work 
- All SODs happen at night while charging.
- Today I downloaded ‘Wake my Android Pro’, supposedly it send a wakelock every 29 minutes and prevents the phone from entering deep sleep.

My next step if this fails and I get another SOD:
- Set CPU min clock to 350 (read that this doesn't help but will try anyway)
- Activate SoftLocker to prevent the phone from ever going to sleep, this is the last resort since it will affect my battery life (wish there was a Tasker plugin to toggle the settings so I can enable it only when charging)

Does anyone know how long after turning off the screen does the phone go into deep sleep (versus regular sleep)?

Kurre

Aug 10, 2010
I’m creating this thread to help anyone who’s been affected with SOD (Sleep of Death). Here’s a brief history of what I’ve tried so far:
- I was running stock 2.2 for about a year, had lag, choppiness, etc.. but never a SOD
- Flashed CM7.1 2 weeks ago (stock kernel), phone is not amazingly fast but experiencing SODs every few days.
- Created a Tasker profile to wake the phone every 1 hour, (wait 5 seconds command), no SOD for a week
- This morning, got a SOD again.. missed my alarm and was late for work 
- All SODs happen at night while charging.
- Today I downloaded ‘Wake my Android Pro’, supposedly it send a wakelock every 29 minutes and prevents the phone from entering deep sleep.

My next step if this fails and I get another SOD:
- Set CPU min clock to 350 (read that this doesn't help but will try anyway)
- Activate SoftLocker to prevent the phone from ever going to sleep, this is the last resort since it will affect my battery life (wish there was a Tasker plugin to toggle the settings so I can enable it only when charging)

Does anyone know how long after turning off the screen does the phone go into deep sleep (versus regular sleep)?

I'm also using CM7 (nightly #146) with neo kernel..I only have had SOD once (while using stock kernel IIRC). Now I'm booting every evening before going to bed and haven't noticed any problems (knocking the wood..).
Btw, as you came from froyo did you flash GB before going to CM7? Or at least GB bootloaders prior flashing?
Can't really say any solution to your problems since these sods are quite hard to catch..logcat, dmesg, etc are our friends with these kinds of problems :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

gabster21

Sep 7, 2010
Dubai
I'm also using CM7 (nightly #146) with neo kernel..I only have had SOD once (while using stock kernel IIRC). Now I'm booting every evening before going to bed and haven't noticed any problems (knocking the wood..).
Btw, as you came from froyo did you flash GB before going to CM7? Or at least GB bootloaders prior flashing?
Can't really say any solution to your problems since these sods are quite hard to catch..logcat, dmesg, etc are our friends with these kinds of problems :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium
No, I didn't flash GB, I installed CWM bootloader and flashed CM7 from recovery (had to find a workaround to get past the e3 protection).
So far with "Wake my Android Pro" I see the screen go on and off quickly (about 1/2 a second) every 29 minutes.. too early to tell if this is helping with SODs, I'll report back regularly to update the results :)

goncal

Mar 8, 2011
charging on a PC.

Hello

Thank you for the informative thread.

I have a Galaxy S i9000 running 2.3.6, XXJW4 and CF-root, and find it frustrating not to be able to fully trust my phone to respond whenever needed, be it listening to Internet radio, using sat nav, getting Facebook notifications (yes I got them back after reinstalling Facebook and clearing Dalvik cache but I should talk about that in another thread) and of course making and receiving calls now and then.

I was wondering whether the fact that I have been hooking it up to a PC to charge it through the day (and of course plug and unplug it a few times during the day) actually made the situation worse.

So far I have been getting an SOD every two days. The 'serious' SOD would come on after a 'less serious' SOD had already happened ie the phone went into coma and then came out of it and lasted for 6 to 8 hours longer before actually falling into the SOD coma.

I stopped using the PC as a charger (using a cheapo replacement micro USB charger) and so far 3 days have gone by without a hint of an SOD. Fingers crossed. Will keep investigating.

Cheers

Last edited: