Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,383 Members 51,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Front camera issues on some phones (Results of detailed testing)

Tip us?

cheema
Old
(Last edited by cheema; 31st October 2011 at 09:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Default Front camera issues on some phones (Results of detailed testing)

First of all let me say that my only reason for conducting these tests is to bring attention to any issues I find, so that they can be addressed by Samsung and T-Mobile. I am just the messenger, don't shoot.

If you have not seen the results of my display tests for this phone, I encourage to you to check them out here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1320942

I conducted the following tests with 4 phones. 2 Sprint Galaxy S II phones and 2 T-Mobile Galaxy S II phones. Now let's see how our phone compares with the Sprint phone when it comes to the front camera.

1. Front camera test using DSLR

For this test I borrowed some data from my earlier display test. All 4 phones were switched to front camera and the camera settings were reset to default. I then put the phones down on a table and took a picture with my Canon 60D.

Needless to say, this looks really really bad for T-Mobile sets. This is the test that gave me the idea that something else was going on here in addition to the well known screen problems of the T-Mobile/Telus phone. As we will shortly see, the T-Mobile phone is suffering from a double whammy of screen and camera problems in this test.

2. Low light test

For this test I lined up some random objects on the floor and took pictures using all 4 phones. The room was lit by one CFL bulb, pointed in the opposite direction of the objects being photographed. The camera settings were reset to factory settings. I used the 2-second timer to take pictures from the front camera. The EXIF data on all the pictures is identical. Please keep in mind that this test used jpeg data from the phone camera. And the screen defects played no role. Full size, un-edited pictures are available if you click on an image below.

Camera maker : SAMSUNG
Camera model : Sprint: SPH-D710 T-Mobile: SGH-T989
F-stop : f/2.8
Exposure time: 1/8 sec.
ISO speed : ISO-400

3. High light test

For this test I repeated test 2 above. But opened up the curtains to let the light in from outside and pointed the CFL bulb towards the objects being photographed.

Conclusion

And the parade of tears continues. Like the display, the front camera loses the battle badly. The hardware is supposed to be identical. Why does the T-Mobile continue to perform poorly? Was the QA team sleeping at the wheel?

The low light test probably needs no analysis. It is easy to see that the pictures from the T-Mobile phone are just plain dark. In the bright light test, if one is not paying attention it would be easy to overlook the washed out colors in the pictures produced by the T-Mobile camera.

I'll continue to update this post as additional data on the performance of front facing camera becomes available.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cheema For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HRodMusic
Old
Thanks Meter 224
man im getting very disappointed with my phone, tmo users always getting the short end of the stick..
Carrier: AT&T
Phone: HTC One (M8)

Phones
HTC Diamond->Blackberry Curve->G1->Motorola Rockr E8->IPhone 3G->Galaxy S Vibrant->IPhone 4-> HTC Sensation->Sidekick 4G ->SGS2 -> Galaxy Nexus-> IPhone 4S 32gb white- > Skyrocket-> Galaxy S3-> Nexus 4-> HTC One X -> White 32gb iPhone 5 ->Galaxy Note II -> HTC One -> Snowtrooper Nexus 5 32GB -> Note 3 -> LG G2 -> HTC ONE M8

manekineko
Old
Thanks Meter 228
Wow, this is really eye-opening. I'm assuming you wiped off the lens on both phones before the tests? The T-Mobile one almost looks like it's shooting through a haze.

Also, has anyone done a comparison on the rear-facing cameras?

phewizzo
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Both phones have the same parts... Just different processor. Im really starting to believe its a software issue.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
I have been on XDA forums for a LONG time, 2007 with my Palm Treo before any android was out, I have lurked on this forum since, never spoke and stood quiet and Im glad there are so much people supporting android development, so much people making android 1000000X better then stock. Keep it coming guys.

PHONE - T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 2 & T-Mobile Nexus One
Rom - Experimenting with all!
SD Card - 16 GB Class 4

talltexan
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Dont forget to thank this guy for his hard work WOW. Still trying to get someone with some followers to voice a concern about this.
LG Nexus 4
Radio: Stock
ROM: AOKP MR1 Build 1
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.3

Retired Phones:
T-Mobile Samsung SGS II T-989 CM 10 installed
BB Pearl (gave to 4 diffrent family members)
G1 - Brown (2 weeks prerelease worked for Tmobile at the time) CM4
G2 - Sold

T-mobile Iphone 5 - Wifes phone so dont judge!

T959 (Vibrant) - retired CM 9 installed

Proud member of TmoNews come and join us
The Following User Says Thank You to talltexan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Authority
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I noticed this a little too, but I totally overlooked it.. I will probably never use the front facing camera on any device... But it does both me that t-mobile devices are worse quality... Might as well purchase it at walmart

I seriously think I am going to side step to the Galaxy Nexus when it is available, mostly for the screen issues on Tmo GS2...
Killbynature Old
Thanks Meter
Well first of all no need for a separate thread for this ffc for all phones are crap. Second of all you need more precise test. Like see if Samsung and T-Mobile are using the Same screen manufacturer. You can see this by typing dsmeg. In terminal emulator. You have to remember that you have tested I say about 7-8 devices. Not all of them. Xda is about 1% of a total population that has Samsung galaxy 2

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phewizzo View Post
Both phones have the same parts... Just different processor. Im really starting to believe its a software issue.

SuperCurio the developer for voodoo screen tuning said this himself. We are missing the MdNie chip for processing the screen due to the chipset switch. Meaning Hardware.We emulate the chip in our phones using the Qualcomm MDP. Like i said it may can be fixed by getting better emulation software and samsung reworking the drivers for optimization for the screen. The closest update we have is the wifi calling update which will probably bring various bug fixes as well for the samsung galaxy s2.

Splaktar
Old
Thanks Meter 130

DONATE TO ME
I've done some video chat over Skype in the last few days and this has been the best front facing camera that I have ever used. People have noticed a much clearer and smoother image from the SGS2 FFC than from the 3 different PC webcams that I use. I don't know much about the Sprint version, but I've been very happy with ours.
LG Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
ROM: Stock Rooted Android: 4.4.4 Kernel: Stock
SD Card: 32 GB Internal Case: Seidio DILEX Gold
Bluetooth Stereo Headsets: Nokia BH-503, LG HBS700 Bluetooth Speaker: JamBox (silver)
Asus TF700T 32 GB w/ dock - ROM: CleanROM 3.4.4 Android: 4.1.1 Kernel: Stock 10.4.4.25
Asus TF700T 32 GB w/ dock & NVFlash - ROM: CROMi-X 5.2.4 Android: 4.2.1 Kernel: _that 10.6.1.14.8
*LG Nexus 4 (Mako LG-E960)
*Samsung Galaxy S II (Hercules SGH-T989)
*HTC EVO 4G (Supersonic)
The Following User Says Thank You to Splaktar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

phewizzo
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Hopefully they will release an update to fix it...

I have been on XDA forums for a LONG time, 2007 with my Palm Treo before any android was out, I have lurked on this forum since, never spoke and stood quiet and Im glad there are so much people supporting android development, so much people making android 1000000X better then stock. Keep it coming guys.

PHONE - T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 2 & T-Mobile Nexus One
Rom - Experimenting with all!
SD Card - 16 GB Class 4

cheema
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by phewizzo View Post
I have the same opinion.