Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,558 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

how to add status bar transparencies in gingerbread :P

Tip us?

HolyGhostBoy1
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfluip1 View Post
It has nothing to do with smali. I will send them to you when I have my home computer
oh ok thks

Lubcrayon
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Transparency doesn't seem to work, I've tried UOT and Raver's method of editing the smali but apparently I have more than one ticker smali and statusbar smali. Airfluip, if you can share the steps into getting transparency I'd be thankful. (running ravers Valhalla black)

miss_h
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaverX3X View Post
Tools you will need

-the original apk u want to modify +plus backup of it :P (framework apk & system ui.apk)
-system ui.apk located in system/app folder of any gb rom!!!!
-framework apk located in /system/framework folder any rom including cm7 -froyo miui ics so on lol...
-you will also need this zip which will be attached to the bottem of the post.

-also java sdk- properly setup will not go into this on this thread as it goes over -the scope of what im trying to show this is for people that already know and or -have some understanding of how to thme / modify a rom
-notepad++ for windows users

First off yor going to want to copy the contents of said zip into your framework apk

the location they need to be copied is /res/drawable-hdpi

all 3 files this will give u a transparent glass effect which will be what we are using :P

second off you will need apktool or equivalent but for this guide ill be going over how to use apktool to decompile and recompile it :P

copy your system ui to your apktool directory then open a command prompt in windows and navigate to that directory please refer to windows if you do not know how to change directories :P

apktool d systemui.apk ./systemui

you will see the progress

baslmaking.... copying resources xmls smali etc

you may get some ping 9 errors thats ok as we wont be using the modified apk just some of the files out of it once done :P

ok now you have your new shinny folder

navigate to res/layout

the file that needs modification is

status_bar.xml---OPEN THIS IN NOTEPAD++ OR YA MANY SPECIAL THINGS WILL HAPPEN

the second line should read or something similar

com.android.systemui.statusbar.StatusBarView androidrientation="vertical" android:background="#F0000000" android:focusable="true" android:descendantFocusability="afterDescendants"

you need to change it to this

com.android.systemui.statusbar.StatusBarView androidrientation="vertical" android:background="#77000000" android:focusable="true" android:descendantFocusability="afterDescendants"

most notably the #77000000

that will make your statusbar transparent
save your work!!!!!

take your systemui.apk and make a copy of it somewhere just in case :P
actually make 2 :P

then rename the systemui.apk thats in the apkfolder to systemui.bak so it does not get overwritten!!!

then from your command prompt type this:

apktool b ./systemui systemui.apk

hit enter :P

it should now say smaling... rebuilding resources bla bla bla

and then after you have a shinny new apk :P

adb push that back to your device or flash via cwm :P

wala!!! if you loose your status bar after this happens lol it can happen

take the status_bar.xml out of the new systemui.apk and copy it into res/layout on one of the backups :P (hence why i said make a backup lol :P and flash that!!!

wala you should now have transparent status bar in your rom once its booted

(also note you may not see it if your launcher does NOT SUPPORT transparent status bars!!!!!) ADW IS NOTORIOUS FOR THIS....

win!!!
its really cool~!!!
if i wanna white status bar, can i just change android:background="#77000000" to android:background="FFFFFFFF" ?

lumin30
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1161

DONATE TO ME
Hehe

Be kind and modify your last post and delete the quote
If you appreciate my help - Please Hit Thanks!

> > [GUIDE] Stock Froyo to Custom GB Made Easy < <
> > [GUIDE] Heimdall One-Click For Dummies < <
> > [GUIDE] Stock GB 2.3.6 APK Repository < <

THE THANKS BUTTON IS BELOW --------------------------------------------------

iJimaniac
Old
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Hey, I have a galaxy player and want to do this, but mine says

android:background="@drawable/statusbar_background"

if I just change the "@drawable/statusbar_background" to #77000000 will it work?

Also, will it work if I am odexed, or do I need to deodex?
Get R.E.D.D ->> Got R.E.D.D? <<- Get R.E.D.D

Asking an ETA for a rom is like asking for a hug from Chuck Norris. Moral: NO ETA'S!

Flashing CyanogenMod on a YP-G1 before backing up the EFS is like punching Chuck Norris before you're ready to die. Moral: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR EFS!

iJimaniac
Old
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Well, I tried it. The results were first no status bar. Then I tried your fix for that (pushing the XML to the old apk). now I have a solid black status bar. The icons get all messed up to (hard to explain).
Fyi, my framework-res.apk doesn't contain the statusbar_background.9.PNG, it is located in my systemUI.apk.
Get R.E.D.D ->> Got R.E.D.D? <<- Get R.E.D.D

Asking an ETA for a rom is like asking for a hug from Chuck Norris. Moral: NO ETA'S!

Flashing CyanogenMod on a YP-G1 before backing up the EFS is like punching Chuck Norris before you're ready to die. Moral: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR EFS!

hood4u
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for this tutorial it was very helpful. I was originally just looking to change the PNG files for the battery in the status bar. in my searching i came across this post. I am just starting out with modding my theme so this helped me get adb, apktool and everything set up. I was able to make the required change within the systemui.apk and push it to the phone but, somehow it didn't make the change to the status bar. so upon looking with estrongs in my root I see two systemui files one named systemui.apk and the other SystemUI.apk. the one I modified is the one with the capital letters. The problem is I can't figure out what to do to remove one of the files. Also, strange, is when I look through adb and list the files it only sees one systemui file. I don't want to mess anything up in my phone.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA