Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,547 Members 42,515 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Import Contacts to Kin TwoM [Tutorial]

Tip us?

tjacoby2006
Old
(Last edited by tjacoby2006; 1st November 2011 at 04:42 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Import Contacts to Kin TwoM [Tutorial]

Ok, so I have had this phone for about a month now and was far too lazy to add my 270 contacts to my phone by hand, so I developed a webpage to convert the contacts from a Backup Assistant CSV to a Kin compatible XML file. This will NOT work with an Office CSV file (maybe in the future, we will see).

Ok so here is how it works. First, log in to your "My Verizon" account on http://verizonwireless.com/

Click "Select All" (1), then in the "Actions" dropdown, select "Export Contacts" (2)

Click "Ok"

Save the csv file it sends you. Now, go to my website http://www.craigslistcounter.net/KinContacts.aspx and select your file in the upload section, then click upload. Save the Cellebrite XML file it sends you back.

Now, use johnkussack's most excellent KINO application to upload the Cellebrite XML to the root of your phone (instructions for setup there).

Restart your phone.

From the phone app, hit ##77647266488 and press call. Enter 000000 in the code box. Go to the "Contacts" menu at the bottom, and click "Import Contacts".

All of your contacts should import. 270 took me a few seconds. If it is taking too long you probably didn't restart after uploading the file to your phone (tisk tisk), so just shut it down and turn it back on.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjacoby2006 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

soninja8
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacoby2006 View Post
Ok, so I have had this phone for about a month now and was far too lazy to add my 270 contacts to my phone by hand, so I developed a webpage to convert the contacts from a Backup Assistant CSV to a Kin compatible XML file. This will NOT work with an Office CSV file (maybe in the future, we will see).

Ok so here is how it works. First, log in to your "My Verizon" account on http://verizonwireless.com/

Click "Select All" (1), then in the "Actions" dropdown, select "Export Contacts" (2)

Click "Ok"

Save the csv file it sends you. Now, go to my website http://www.craigslistcounter.net/KinContacts.aspx and select your file in the upload section, then click upload. Save the Cellebrite XML file it sends you back.

Now, use johnkussack's most excellent KINO application to upload the Cellebrite XML to the root of your phone (instructions for setup there).

Restart your phone.

From the phone app, hit ##77647266488 and press call. Enter 000000 in the code box. Go to the "Contacts" menu at the bottom, and click "Import Contacts".

All of your contacts should import. 270 took me a few seconds. If it is taking too long you probably didn't restart after uploading the file to your phone (tisk tisk), so just shut it down and turn it back on.
Im not being rude in any way, but I think most people wouldnt want to send all of there contacts to a website....a lot of things can happen...

tanmanhd
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Can this be done with a kin ones?

klamation
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmanhd View Post
Can this be done with a kin ones?
I believe the One/OneM has the same fundamental operating system as the Two/TwoM line, so it should work.

tjacoby2006
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by soninja8 View Post
Im not being rude in any way, but I think most people wouldnt want to send all of there contacts to a website....a lot of things can happen...
Totally understandable. It is my website and the data isn't even saved anywhere for a moment (other than in memory, then it is dumped). I know that's hard to take at face value, but its truth.

markakka
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Cant upload contacts

When I try to upload my contacts to convert the csv to xml I get a server error. Is there any other way to convert the file?

Fworg64
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I can't seem to get it to work. I'm running kino as admin under windows vista, kino works fine, but the import contacts button wont seem to work, I always get a non-compliant xml error. I've tried filling in the last name field, removing the email field and funny characters, and removing the header at the top. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas or help?

klamation
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fworg64 View Post
I can't seem to get it to work. I'm running kino as admin under windows vista, kino works fine, but the import contacts button wont seem to work, I always get a non-compliant xml error. I've tried filling in the last name field, removing the email field and funny characters, and removing the header at the top. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas or help?
From what I remember, the Kin was very picky about the format of the file. Even if you were to export your contacts and re-import them, you would still have issues with it. If you can, try removing all but one contact, and make sure that contact only has a first and last name and phone number.

Are you trying to do this to add contacts to your phone, or back them up for restoration later?
The Following User Says Thank You to klamation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chase2hoop
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Im tempted just to tinker around in the "admin" settings... Is that wrong?

Fworg64
Old
Thanks Meter 0
well i was trying to add them. I would try it with just one, but unfortunately i ended up just entering them by hand :P, also i believe i have a Kin two, not a kin twom.