Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

TWRP for Nexus 6 and 9 Available, Unofficial CM12 Alpha for HTC Explorer! – XDA TV

Team Win Recovery Project for the Nexus 6 and Nexus … more

Jolla Tablet Announced: The Second Sailfish OS Device

A little over a year ago, Jolla released its first smartphone with the brand new Jolla … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Deleted

Import Contacts to Kin TwoM [Tutorial]

OP tjacoby2006

1st November 2011, 04:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Ok, so I have had this phone for about a month now and was far too lazy to add my 270 contacts to my phone by hand, so I developed a webpage to convert the contacts from a Backup Assistant CSV to a Kin compatible XML file. This will NOT work with an Office CSV file (maybe in the future, we will see).

Ok so here is how it works. First, log in to your "My Verizon" account on http://verizonwireless.com/

Click "Select All" (1), then in the "Actions" dropdown, select "Export Contacts" (2)

Click "Ok"

Save the csv file it sends you. Now, go to my website http://www.craigslistcounter.net/KinContacts.aspx and select your file in the upload section, then click upload. Save the Cellebrite XML file it sends you back.

Now, use johnkussack's most excellent KINO application to upload the Cellebrite XML to the root of your phone (instructions for setup there).

Restart your phone.

From the phone app, hit ##77647266488 and press call. Enter 000000 in the code box. Go to the "Contacts" menu at the bottom, and click "Import Contacts".

All of your contacts should import. 270 took me a few seconds. If it is taking too long you probably didn't restart after uploading the file to your phone (tisk tisk), so just shut it down and turn it back on.
Last edited by tjacoby2006; 1st November 2011 at 05:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjacoby2006 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd November 2011, 12:35 AM   |  #2  

60 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacoby2006

Ok, so I have had this phone for about a month now and was far too lazy to add my 270 contacts to my phone by hand, so I developed a webpage to convert the contacts from a Backup Assistant CSV to a Kin compatible XML file. This will NOT work with an Office CSV file (maybe in the future, we will see).

Ok so here is how it works. First, log in to your "My Verizon" account on http://verizonwireless.com/

Click "Select All" (1), then in the "Actions" dropdown, select "Export Contacts" (2)

Click "Ok"

Save the csv file it sends you. Now, go to my website http://www.craigslistcounter.net/KinContacts.aspx and select your file in the upload section, then click upload. Save the Cellebrite XML file it sends you back.

Now, use johnkussack's most excellent KINO application to upload the Cellebrite XML to the root of your phone (instructions for setup there).

Restart your phone.

From the phone app, hit ##77647266488 and press call. Enter 000000 in the code box. Go to the "Contacts" menu at the bottom, and click "Import Contacts".

All of your contacts should import. 270 took me a few seconds. If it is taking too long you probably didn't restart after uploading the file to your phone (tisk tisk), so just shut it down and turn it back on.

Im not being rude in any way, but I think most people wouldnt want to send all of there contacts to a website....a lot of things can happen...
4th November 2011, 04:09 AM   |  #3  

4 posts
Can this be done with a kin ones?
7th November 2011, 07:37 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 9

115 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmanhd

Can this be done with a kin ones?

I believe the One/OneM has the same fundamental operating system as the Two/TwoM line, so it should work.
15th November 2011, 07:02 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soninja8

Im not being rude in any way, but I think most people wouldnt want to send all of there contacts to a website....a lot of things can happen...

Totally understandable. It is my website and the data isn't even saved anywhere for a moment (other than in memory, then it is dumped). I know that's hard to take at face value, but its truth.
26th December 2011, 08:20 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Cant upload contacts
When I try to upload my contacts to convert the csv to xml I get a server error. Is there any other way to convert the file?
29th December 2011, 12:18 AM   |  #7  
Flag North Dakota

2 posts
More
I can't seem to get it to work. I'm running kino as admin under windows vista, kino works fine, but the import contacts button wont seem to work, I always get a non-compliant xml error. I've tried filling in the last name field, removing the email field and funny characters, and removing the header at the top. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas or help?
31st December 2011, 03:40 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 9

115 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fworg64

I can't seem to get it to work. I'm running kino as admin under windows vista, kino works fine, but the import contacts button wont seem to work, I always get a non-compliant xml error. I've tried filling in the last name field, removing the email field and funny characters, and removing the header at the top. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas or help?

From what I remember, the Kin was very picky about the format of the file. Even if you were to export your contacts and re-import them, you would still have issues with it. If you can, try removing all but one contact, and make sure that contact only has a first and last name and phone number.

Are you trying to do this to add contacts to your phone, or back them up for restoration later?
The Following User Says Thank You to klamation For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd January 2012, 09:05 PM   |  #9  

12 posts
More
Im tempted just to tinker around in the "admin" settings... Is that wrong?
6th January 2012, 12:18 AM   |  #10  
Flag North Dakota

2 posts
More
well i was trying to add them. I would try it with just one, but unfortunately i ended up just entering them by hand :P, also i believe i have a Kin two, not a kin twom.

Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread