Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 51,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

DROID X Meid/Esn Repair

Tip us?

solcam
Old
(Last edited by the_scotsman; 14th January 2012 at 08:05 AM.) Reason: hijacking possible
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Default DROID X Meid/Esn Repair

I hope no one gets mad, but this > < discussion should be here and made sticky for AT LEAST the droid x for further development and hacking. This should be only for educational purposes! All in all though, I feel that this topic would be more quickly busted or confirmed on this site. Please post ANY findings and/or results here. As you can see I have posted to this site the locations of ALL meid an pesn of the druid 2 global phone, but was unsuccessful at using these scripts to do anything to this phone. Thanks ppl and let's keep this thread going for the lifespan of the phone. All credit given whet credit is due, as you can see from the post. No stealing or hijacking intended. This is all I could find on Moto devices. Also have a Devour to test this on with a lil more skilled guidance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solcam For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HacDan
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Default Again? Really?

ESN changing is against the law in the country of which these forums are hosted. I'm going to assume this will be deleted before you even read my post.

There is no legal reason to 'repair' your MEID. Please move back to Howard Forums where they still seem to allow this type of discussion.

solcam
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Wink Just read forum rules.

I have just read the forum rules and it says nothing about not discussing maid/est repair. This is for educational purposes. And, if like me, changing these numbers is legal if you own both the donor (which in my case is broken) and the clone, and are not trying to sell the donor or clone, which would be invasion of privacy and fraud, then it is legal. I own both phones. My touch pro wont boot anymore and I own my droid 2 global, which is the one I want to write theses numbers to. I am not selling either. So why not learn more about these devices. I should be able to do what I want with my property. Take a look here, I googled this just for you and people like you. -> http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cell-phone-fraud <- And as can see clearly I am doing nothing illegal. I wish people would stop saying that it is illegal. It scares people who just heard it somewhere else without doing their own research first. On with this discussion please mods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solcam For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

narsciso
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I still don't understand what this is. I seen this posted on Howard, and was interested by the topic. I tried Googling but I came up short with any clear definitions.

shobon
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by narsciso View Post
I still don't understand what this is. I seen this posted on Howard, and was interested by the topic. I tried Googling but I came up short with any clear definitions.
The meid/esn is the phone-specific "serial" number that Verizon uses to identify your phone. If a phone is reported as lost or stolen to Verizon, the meid/esn gets blacklisted so that the phone cannot be activated (so if someone steals your phone or finds it on the street, they can't put it on their account).

This thread describes how to alter the meid/esn to something else, so it can be fixed/unblacklisted.
HTC DROID DNA - CM 10.2
Motorola Droid RAZR XT912 - CyanogenMod 10.1 (retired)

HacDan
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by solcam View Post
I have just read the forum rules and it says nothing about not discussing maid/est repair. This is for educational purposes. And, if like me, changing these numbers is legal if you own both the donor (which in my case is broken) and the clone, and are not trying to sell the donor or clone, which would be invasion of privacy and fraud, then it is legal. I own both phones. My touch pro wont boot anymore and I own my droid 2 global, which is the one I want to write theses numbers to. I am not selling either. So why not learn more about these devices. I should be able to do what I want with my property. Take a look here, I googled this just for you and people like you. -> http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cell-phone-fraud <- And as can see clearly I am doing nothing illegal. I wish people would stop saying that it is illegal. It scares people who just heard it somewhere else without doing their own research first. On with this discussion please mods.
Well I'm glad you answered your own question then =)

Quote:
What Is Cell Phone Cloning Fraud?

Every cell phone is supposed to have a unique factory-set electronic serial number (ESN) and telephone number (MIN). A cloned cell phone is one that has been reprogrammed to transmit the ESN and MIN belonging to another (legitimate) cell phone. Unscrupulous people can obtain valid ESN/MIN combinations by illegally monitoring the radio wave transmissions from the cell phones of legitimate subscribers. After cloning, both the legitimate and the fraudulent cell phones have the same ESN/MIN combination and cellular systems cannot distinguish the cloned cell phone from the legitimate one. The legitimate phone user then gets billed for the cloned phone’s calls. Call your carrier if you think you have been a victim of cloning fraud.
What you would be doing is not illegal, but the information used to do your 'legal' activity could be used to do something illegal. Yes it comes down to "ZOMG Some guy posted a bomb recipe, that's illegal!!!"... well no, but whoever hosts that bomb making recipe could be held as an accomplice for future bombings using said recipe.

Which is why MEID/ESN changing is usually instantly locked on most if not all US forum sites, including this one.

laptopfreek0
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Cool A little help

Honestly I thought this thread would be closed a while back because every time i looked into this before threads would magically dissappear. But its still here so here is some help. The esn meid is only half the problem, the other half is the A-key, this key verifies your phone every time you make a phone call, wihout jt you will get a message that tells you your phone cannot be verified. After you manage to get that you need a username and password in order to achieve 3g access. That aside the reason your hexs dont match is because its ram and he meid will get moved around randomly after boot. Basically this means that you will need to find all addresses before your next reboot or the keys might move again. So not only is the hexes different from phone to phone it is also different from boot to boot. Another thing you are having issues wih is the meid returnin after each reboot. This only happens when you miss an meid. I have found that there are certain locations that have memory locks and will nkt let you map it. If you use the default settings for scanning you will miss meid locations. What you have to do is scan and after each map decrease the number smaller and closer to the memory lock until you find the exact location for thsat memory lock. Repeat for each lock until you have exact locations for every valid memory location. Then dump those locations and use a hex editor to calculate where each meid location is. Use another tool to directly modify each meid location to all 0s. After all locations for both esn and meid are 0ed then you can reboot. Oh forgot to mention one more thing he esn and meid are reverse inverted. Meaning an esn will be A00000123456 will be 56 34 12 00 00 A0 same with esn.

And yes i was being purposly vague. If you cant fill in the blanks you really shouldnt be atempting to do this. You can easily permanently brick your phone.

casca_the_immortal
Old
(Last edited by casca_the_immortal; 3rd January 2012 at 05:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HacDan View Post

What you would be doing is not illegal, but the information used to do your 'legal' activity could be used to do something illegal. Yes it comes down to "ZOMG Some guy posted a bomb recipe, that's illegal!!!"... well no, but whoever hosts that bomb making recipe could be held as an accomplice for future bombings using said recipe.

Which is why MEID/ESN changing is usually instantly locked on most if not all US forum sites, including this one.
That isn't true, the hosting party can not be brought in as an accomplice you need to go get your facts straight. If the hosting agent said "Hey you should blow up a building with this bomb" then you are right. If they say "We are a library of knowledge" they can not.

It's all about intent. For this purpose it is about information, and information is power. There are a LOT more people trying to FIX their phones then trying to steal. There are many other valid and lawful uses as well, such as switching these verizon wireless phones to cricket or some other prepaid service (which is legal if you buy one of their pre-paid phones and use it as a donor phone).

People, please take your head out of your butt on this issue. It is not illegal, it is what you do with the information that makes it legal/illegal. If you are a crook you will get caught and do 5 years for screwing around with phones (moron). If you are not a crook and are looking to xfer service to a prepay or fix your phone then it's perfectly lawful.
- AT&T Moto X (Customized Navy Blue back, white front, and silver buttons)
- AT&T HTC One Mini
- Verizon Wireless Apple iPhone 4s [6.1.2 Jailbroken]
- Motorola XYBoard (I cry thinking about the fact no one loves this product enough to rom it, still use it - love it)
- Notion Ink Adam (sigh, retired)

Check me out on http://www.reviewboard.com I write reviews
Catch me on Twitter: @review_crew
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reviewboard.magazine
The Following User Says Thank You to casca_the_immortal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fordkiller
Old
Thanks Meter 3
ok here is my issue with this also. I am on metro and I have the eris flashed by them to talk and text. I received a droid a855 which I see fully flashed to metro everywhere for sale people talking about them anything of the sort. But I have flashed the prl and all info for metro but will they turn it on. NOPE they will not add the clean esn from my droid to their network at all. So I have been searching for how to do this also as I will scrap my eris for use as a testing and wifi only device and put its info on the droid and then put the eris sticker on it also. And the eris will be blank. But do you think I could get this to work right nope. I have found 4 total meid/esn locations and changed them with a few programs and also made sure they are right. and reflashed the file to the phone and nothing at all changed. I need help please. And to the legality of this I called a guy on craigslist and asked him to put my esn in metros data base and he said I have to have a account and he would change the esn and meid to match my metro phone that is on now?????? he had posted as to adding the esn not changing. And he is not the only one here doing this. I have skills in computers and phones but im just lost on the droid not taking the writes. Ok thanks and PM me if needed.

blakklanta
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Preach! Free speech dies another slow death... Instead of commenting, help someone with a cellular issue... Pay it forward = mankind advances by helping one another

Quote:
Originally Posted by HacDan View Post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blakklanta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe