5,597,707 Members 35,446 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Utility] StacksTweak - Easily tweak some BlueStacks Settings

Tip us?
 
cornelha
Old
(Last edited by cornelha; 11th November 2011 at 01:59 PM.)
#1  
cornelha's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 457
Posts: 1,056
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Durban
Default [Utility] StacksTweak - Easily tweak some BlueStacks Settings

I love having the BlueStacks player on my desktop. Thanks to this forum(specially this thread by cccy) I have managed to run it standalone with LaucherPro as Home since I detest the Windows SideBar. A lot has to be done by fiddling with the registry, which not everyone is particularly familiar with. So I decided to quickly bang together a tool which does the following:
  • Change from FullScreen to Windowed Mode
  • Change SDCard file location
  • Change device resolution

Maybe at some point adding more features could be in the works, but for now I just hope it could help someone.
Screenshot:

Since we skin anything and everything we find(images attatched, just extract and copy to BlueStacks Install folder):

Apply will kill all bluestacks processes and the windows sidebar, then launch frontend in standalone mode. You can manually restart the sidebar for now

This utility requires .net 4 to be installed on your PC.Backup your registry before attempting to use the software
Attached Files
File Type: 7z StacksTweak.7z - [Click for QR Code] (537.0 KB, 16590 views)
File Type: 7z ButtonSkin.7z - [Click for QR Code] (12.8 KB, 3866 views)
Samsung Galaxy SIII
OmniRom 4.4.1 Nightly
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cornelha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rexzooly
Old
#2  
rexzooly's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 205
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dewsbury
Thumbs up Love to see more tools like mne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelha View Post
I love having the BlueStacks player on my desktop. Thanks to this forum(specially this thread by cccy) I have managed to run it standalone with LaucherPro as Home since I detest the Windows SideBar. A lot has to be done by fiddling with the registry, which not everyone is particularly familiar with. So I decided to quickly bang together a tool which does the following:
  • Change from FullScreen to Windowed Mode
  • Change SDCard file location
  • Change device resolution

Maybe at some point adding more features could be in the works, but for now I just hope it could help someone.
Screenshot:

Since we skin anything and everything we find(images attatched, just extract and copy to BlueStacks Install folder):

Apply will kill all bluestacks processes and the windows sidebar, then launch frontend in standalone mode. You can manually restart the sidebar for now

This utility requires .net 4 to be installed on your PC.Backup your registry before attempting to use the software
Nice to see gizmostack is not the only tool that does this, I never added the sdcard part like you have as I just did not see the need for it but its really nice to see other software out there, please update this post if you make another one you can follow mine at www.gizmostack.co.uk Gizmostack does not neet .net so will work with xp off the bat without installing it but I don't see this really as something great its just a different way of doing it.

Gizmostack Dev - Rex
My Huawei U8180 (TMobile Rapport) soon to be cm7 Mod by subpsyke
My HTC Wildfire Stock - 2.2
My HTC Desire MIUI 1.12.2
My HTC Desire GingerVillain 2.4 - 2.3.4 - No GSM/Radio function thanks to hardware fault.
 
cornelha
Old
#3  
cornelha's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 457
Posts: 1,056
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Durban
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexzooly View Post
Nice to see gizmostack is not the only tool that does this, I never added the sdcard part like you have as I just did not see the need for it but its really nice to see other software out there, please update this post if you make another one you can follow mine at www.gizmostack.co.uk Gizmostack does not neet .net so will work with xp off the bat without installing it but I don't see this really as something great its just a different way of doing it.

Gizmostack Dev - Rex
I am a .net developer, so makes sense for me to build .net based tools. I wrote this because I didnt feel like fiddling with the registery, figured sharing it could help someone else. I checked out your tool, nice work. I am more interested in android development at the moment, cloning the MIUI mms app is something I am currently looking into. Have had loads of fun messing around with the layouts, maybe soon I release it.
Samsung Galaxy SIII
OmniRom 4.4.1 Nightly
 
ross231
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 91
Posts: 550
Join Date: Jan 2012
Nice work! does this work with beta 1?

Thanks for this
Moto G
Stock 4.3
Sony tablet S
Stock 4.0.3 Release 1A not rooted
iPod Touch 1G
3.1.3
 
acmengnan
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wuhan
Awesome! Thanks a lot!
 
Avalun
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 124
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross231 View Post
Nice work! does this work with beta 1?

Thanks for this
yes, it does
 
seeeejaaaay
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 18
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Windows 8

I just downloaded Windows 8, but the app crashes on startup. I don't know what the issue is. Is it possible if you could update the app to support Windows 8?
 
.oOOo.
Old
(Last edited by .oOOo.; 24th November 2012 at 08:58 AM.)
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 35
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelha View Post
I am a .net developer, so makes sense for me to build .net based tools. I wrote this because I didnt feel like fiddling with the registery, figured sharing it could help someone else.
I tried it in Windows 8 and it seems .net applications can't access the registry any more without "contacting your administrator".

I've tried adjusting the resolution by increasing the Width and Height settings in the registry manually, but then my touch input is off by the same amount of pixels. Is there any other trick I'm missing here?

--- Edit ---

I've discovered that you need to restart BlueStacks a couple of times before the new resolution "sticks". The first time only the window itself will change size. The launcher will still have the original size and will be in the bottom left corner. Clickable areas will be off by some pixels.

After the next reboot, the laucher will be the correct size, but the wallpaper will not stretch all the way. I've resolved this by rebooting a couple of times and using different wallpaper apps to set the new wallpaper. I'm not really sure which action resolved the problem.
 
dragon_76
Old
#9  
dragon_76's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 92
Posts: 571
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexzooly View Post
Nice to see gizmostack is not the only tool that does this, I never added the sdcard part like you have as I just did not see the need for it but its really nice to see other software out there, please update this post if you make another one you can follow mine at www.gizmostack.co.uk Gizmostack does not neet .net so will work with xp off the bat without installing it but I don't see this really as something great its just a different way of doing it.

Gizmostack Dev - Rex
Is there some secret to finding your app because I looked all over that site and failed to find it.
 
cornelha
Old
#10  
cornelha's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 457
Posts: 1,056
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Durban
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeeejaaaay View Post
I just downloaded Windows 8, but the app crashes on startup. I don't know what the issue is. Is it possible if you could update the app to support Windows 8?
I don't have a copy of Windows 8, although Windows 8 supports .net out the box, it should work. If you can screenshot the error I can take a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .oOOo. View Post
I tried it in Windows 8 and it seems .net applications can't access the registry any more without "contacting your administrator".

I've tried adjusting the resolution by increasing the Width and Height settings in the registry manually, but then my touch input is off by the same amount of pixels. Is there any other trick I'm missing here?

--- Edit ---

I've discovered that you need to restart BlueStacks a couple of times before the new resolution "sticks". The first time only the window itself will change size. The launcher will still have the original size and will be in the bottom left corner. Clickable areas will be off by some pixels.

After the next reboot, the laucher will be the correct size, but the wallpaper will not stretch all the way. I've resolved this by rebooting a couple of times and using different wallpaper apps to set the new wallpaper. I'm not really sure which action resolved the problem.
I havent really tested it with the latest versions of BlueStacks at all, you could try run as Administrator to get registry access
Samsung Galaxy SIII
OmniRom 4.4.1 Nightly

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...