Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 52,417 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ ROM ] Calkulin's E4GT v3.0 [ EL29 l Fast l Tweaked l Battery Saver Script ]

Tip us?

HeisRisen
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonlinkmaster25 View Post
Has anyone received any improvements with ics modems on gingerbread roms?

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch
I have. fc07 is the magic number for me

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

If I helped you please hit the Thanks button.

Mandro1d
Old
Thanks Meter 0
can someone give me a very quick install guide. It's been months since I've flashed anything and this time around there seems to be soooo many more links and steps to follow.

t0mmyr
Old
Thanks Meter 156
is there anyway to disable the wake screen on volume keys?
it's interfering with the way i'm enjoying my long press volume keys to skip music tracks addon

also i think i lost the cool power on/off screen animation when i flashed the rotate animate addon on, is there anyway to get that back
http://db.tt/n5SfkO84
fatwallet deals
device
HTC Rhodium 400
rom
MightyROM
radio
2.32.00WF
prl
pri
2.20_003
spl
1.00.OliNex
carrier
Sprint
logcat quote from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1726238

su
adb logcat -v long > /sdcard/name_of_problem.txt

Carbajal3009
Old
Thanks Meter 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmyr View Post
it's interfering with the way i'm enjoying my long press volume keys to skip music tracks addon

also i think i lost the cool power on/off screen animation when i flashed the rotate animate addon on, is there anyway to get that back
Check the first page of this thread. There should be a flashable zip for the volume music tweak.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

t0mmyr
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbajal3009 View Post
Check the first page of this thread. There should be a flashable zip for the volume music tweak.

i already added that tweak which I LOVE, what i was asking for was if theres a way to disable waking the screen with the volume buttons, i only want my screen to wake if i press the power button or receive an incoming call/text/data msg

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandro1d View Post
can someone give me a very quick install guide. It's been months since I've flashed anything and this time around there seems to be soooo many more links and steps to follow.
i just flashed for the first time yesterday, was running completely stock unrooted before. these are my instructions i noted while being guided by an expert:

Before you begin do the following:

A. Download & install samsung usb drivers for Windows PCs:
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...1_3_2360_0.exe

B. On your phone goto settings and change into usb sd mode, connect phone to usb and copy the following 2 files to the root of your sd card:

1. calkulin format flash:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1330705940

2. This awesome rom
http://www.buildarom.com/E4GT/GB/Cal...ROM_v2.9.2.zip

C. Download the following 4 files on your Windows PC:

stock el29 to rooted stock el29 with no data wiping:
http://little-melon.com/sfhub/SPH-D7...ATA-oc-sfx.exe

Older CWM tool packaged to work with stock el29 rom:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7heklsvx3xs7t5q

FC07 Modem flash for CWM:
http://www.buildarom.com/E4GT/Modems...Modem_FC07.tar

Newer 1.8.5 CWM tool:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...umR7BYtwoITGGQ

TIME TO ROOT:

1. enable debugging mode in phones setting by checking the box (leave it always on from this point forward until we are completely flashed)
2. power off
3. hold volume down then power together until you see the download screen
4. release buttons and tap the volume up once
5. on pc, locate that big exe on pc you dl'd first: SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097_ROOTED_NODATA-OneClick.exe
6. Double-click on SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097_ROOTED_NODATA-OneClick.exe to open the odin tool
7. plug your phone into pc via usb and look for a yellow box (this step may take a while if you've never plugged your phone into your Windows PC under debug mode before as it will search your PC for the correct samsung drivers and copy files around)
8, once the odin shows some activity in the log it will list some sort of samsung modem.
9. click start in odin screen on PC
10. note the blue progress bar on phone and allow it to reboot on its own after the blue bar fills up
11, phone should boot back into stock rom and appear unchanged, check your applications menu and look for SUPERUSER
12. congrats, your now rooted.

FLASH RECOVERY TO CLOCKWORKMOD:

13. open the other exe we downloaded: e4gtauto-sfx.exe (disable antivirus as it will report a false/positive that is required in this step)
14. wait a while, phone should reboot and appear stuck at the 4g screen for a while, leave it alone for at least 5-10minutes if you grow impatient, its doing something important (rewriting cache) so don't disturb
15. you can close the left open command prompt window on your pc now
16. phone should eventually boot back into stock rom and scan media
17. power off
18. hold volume up then power together at the same time and wait for some blue lettering to appear and read clockwork mod recovery v.5.0.2.7 (samsung logo may appear twice and blue led twice, this is normal just keep holding and waiting, if it boots into android power off and try again)
19. press home key to reboot
20. power off and disconnect usb from phone

FLASH TO NEWER MODEM:

21. get into ODIN Download mode by holding VOLUME DOWN then POWER together, press up to continue
22. on Windows PC unzip Odin3.-v1.85.zip and then open the Odin3 v1.85.exe
23. click the phone slot and look for the E4GT_Modem_FC07.tar we downloaded earlier, select that
24. plug phone back into PC via usb and wait for odin to recognize and become sync'ed
25. inside the windows ODIN tool: uncheck f.reset time and ALWAYS MAKE SURE the only box that is checked is "auto reboot"
26. click start, phone should reboot in a little bit on its own when its done with this stage.
27. phone should boot back into stock android, check your sd card for up to 2gb free space so we can make a complete backup of your phone before we flash it away
28. power off, unplug phone from usb

BACKUP OLD ROM:

29. get into CWM recovery by holding VOLUME UP then POWER together
30. look for backup/restore and press the VOLUME DOWN key to scroll down and select it with (crap i forget which button it was but its one of the soft keys)
31. find backup and run it (with sams soft key that acts as enter)
32. smoke a bowl and wait for your old stuff to fully backup, it will take the longest time when it says: Generating md5 sum
33. reboot and power off, or just power off

FORMAT DEVICE PARTITION:

34. get back into CWM recovery by holding VOLUME UP then POWER together
35. look for install zip from sd, select it, and press enter
36. look for choose zip from sd, select it, and press enter
37. find calkulins Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL_for_E4GT.zip, select it, and press enter
38. scroll down to the single yes, select it, say good bye to your old rom, and press enter
39. go back to the first screen (power button takes you back in this older CWM)
40. find wipe cache/partition, select it, and press enter. if it asks again continue
41. find advanced, select it, press enter
42. find wipe dalvic, select it, press enter, and continue again

FLASH CUSTOM ROM:

43. go back to main CWM menu, find install zip from sdcard, select, enter
44. find Calkulin's_E4GT_ROM_v2.9.2.zip on your sd card, select it, enter
45. install the rom (may have to scroll down a list of no's till you can select yes)
46. when install is complete back out to the main menu and select reboot
47. cross your fingers for the reboot as the rom will hang sometimes (mine didn't so if you followed these steps exact chances are yours wont either)
48. look for the new boot animation, if it keep looping this is very good, smoke another bowl and wait for your phone to prepare itself. if its frozen at the first samsung screen, um try rebooting, or ask another member as i haven't encountered this yet.
49. phone should eventually boot into this sweet rom and you will have a new kernal as well as a new CWM recovery installed, you can test by powering off and booting into CWM modem (volume up+power) the text will be green and the power button is now the enter button, volume up and down are the scroll up and down, and back is the back button. you can flash new roms very easily at this point repeating some steps above at your own discretion
50. enjoy the goodness and donate to calkulin

PROFIT
http://db.tt/n5SfkO84
fatwallet deals
device
HTC Rhodium 400
rom
MightyROM
radio
2.32.00WF
prl
pri
2.20_003
spl
1.00.OliNex
carrier
Sprint
logcat quote from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1726238

su
adb logcat -v long > /sdcard/name_of_problem.txt
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t0mmyr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HareyCarey
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:

Mine doesn't wake on volume press. Weird. I didn't flash any additional zips either. I haven't checked to see if the long press to change music works, as I have no music on this phone haha

Maxx134
Old
(Last edited by Maxx134; 16th March 2012 at 04:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillo1 View Post
I've been using Caulkulin's rom's from the get go and I must say that v2.9.2 with FC07 modem is the fastest combo I have had. Thanx for all your hard work man!!
have you tried other kernals?
Besides this one I am thinking the one I am on is the fastest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunham View Post
Hi Maxx. Actually, I think we're both correct. The link you provided is for the Stock EL13 kernel, mine was for the Custom rogue kernel. I prefer to use the custom kernel so I have undervolt init.d support. But that also answers his question as to where to get the EL13 1.1.2 stock kernel... thanks for that.
I have noticed an increase in perfomance from changing my kernal to one in your suggested thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1341564

At first on this rom, performance was very good with moded EL29 kernal in this rom, but battery life was average.

Then I switched to stock EL13 that users reported better for battery,
and battery life was better but performance was just normal.

Now I have been on one from your suggested thread.
I did not pick the one you suggested(1.1.3) but the one above it;
Rogue 1.3.0
At first I did it so I can use Calkulen -75undervolt script to save even more battery than the stock El13 I was on.

What is very impressive is that my phone is running better than ever, quiker responses and smoother animated wallpaper.
I dont remember if speed is better or same as supplied kernal in this rom, bit I dont remember it ever being this quick with great battery so far,
and so I think this setup is the best so far.
So to recap, best setup for me using:
FC07 modem
Rogue ET 1.3.0 Kernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeisRisen View Post
I have. fc07 is the magic number for me
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
I cant agree more the FC07 is the best performing for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx134 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tdunham
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 16024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post
At first on this rom, performance was very good with moded EL29 kernal in this rom, but battery life was average.

Then I switched to stock EL13 that users reported better for battery,
and battery life was better but performance was just normal.

Now I have been on one from your suggested thread.
I did not pick the one you suggested(1.1.3) but the one above it;
Rogue 1.3.0
At first I did it so I can use Calkulen -75undervolt script to save even more battery than the stock El13 I was on.

What is very impressive is that my phone is running better than ever, quiker responses and smoother animated wallpaper.
I dont remember if speed is better or same as supplied kernal in this rom, bit I dont remember it ever being this quick with great battery so far,
and so I think this setup is the best so far.
So to recap, best setup for me using:
FC07 modem
Rogue ET 1.3.0 Kernal
Good deal Maxx. I also prefer to use the undervolt scripts. As you know everyone has different results even with the exact same setup so I'm glad you found one that works well for you. I ended up installing SetCpu also so I could try Ondemand and Conservative settings too (and also see the undervolt in action to verify it was truly working).

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeisRisen View Post
Actually it will happen in the middle of surfing for me and the wife. Swapped both our phones this morning and flashed this ROM with fc07 modem. No problems all day
Sorry for the delayed reply.
Wow, so you had the phones replaced by Sprint and that resolved your issue?
See, I told you that it was an unusual problem. I'm very glad you let us know and everything is working as it should.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdunham For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Maxx134
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
I think it is combined in that music press zip.
I am on rom 2.9.1 without installing that mod,
and my phone does not wake on vol presses

Quote:
I had installed a theme that allowed to have both animations on at same time,
in order for me to see what has been said that together they cause a bug,
in which the screen will become a mirror reversed image on wakup,
if you happened to turn it off in landscape.
It is a nusance so thats why you must choose one or the other.

tdunham
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 16024
Totally newb question about flashing modems and I suppose this applies to kernels too...
I've always used CWM to flash the modem.zip but I see some of the more experienced users prefer to Odin the modem.tar. Is there any real difference?

Tags
email