Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[ROM] Degu release archos gen7/gen8 CM7 gingerbread (update 27-01-2013)

OP divx118

7th January 2012, 08:35 AM   |  #191  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 196

343 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimejosh2000

From what I gather, going back to the UD would be as easy as flashing the UD initramfs and zimage from UD. Then it would mount back the UD partitions.

Yes, that would be the way to go back. You could try to add the partition and a UD entry into the menu.lst and see if it boots with our kernel.
For example if it is the first partition on your external sdcard, the entry in menu.lst should look like:

Code:
UrukDroid|/dev/mmcblk2p1|/rootfs.img|/init|0
The "/rootfs.img" isn't important, because it finds your partition path "/dev/mmcblk2p1" then it doesn't look at the image name, but tries to boot from the partition.

divx118
7th January 2012, 09:53 AM   |  #192  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 347

921 posts
Donate to Me
More
I will give that a try, I have an idea that it might not work because of the UD is based on Froyo and your kernel is based Gingerbread. Either way, I will see if I get lucky. I'm sure others would like this option as well. I will let you know. Also, I have internal install, which I believe is at mmcblk0p1 for Rawfs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by divx118

Yes, that would be the way to go back. You could try to add the partition and a UD entry into the menu.lst and see if it boots with our kernel.
For example if it is the first partition on your external sdcard, the entry in menu.lst should look like:

Code:
UrukDroid|/dev/mmcblk2p1|/rootfs.img|/init|0
The "/rootfs.img" isn't important, because it finds your partition path "/dev/mmcblk2p1" then it doesn't look at the image name, but tries to boot from the partition.

divx118

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
Last edited by sublimejosh2000; 7th January 2012 at 09:57 AM.
7th January 2012, 04:07 PM   |  #193  
OP Senior Member

343 posts
Quote:

I will give that a try, I have an idea that it might not work because of the UD is based on Froyo and your kernel is based Gingerbread. Either way, I will see if I get lucky. I'm sure others would like this option as well. I will let you know. Also, I have internal install, which I believe is at mmcblk0p1 for Rawfs.

The kernel is the same as for archos firmware with some additional features/patches for other OS systems. So it wouldn't be any problem to boot froyo with it. We also boot archos firmware with it. You will need to know of course on which partition your root filesystem is from UD.

divx118
8th January 2012, 04:02 PM   |  #194  
Thanks Meter: 61

261 posts
Quote:

ICS is indeed possible for gen8, however it will consume alot of time and skilled people to get it ported. It will not be as easy as gingerbread porting is to gen8.
Eventually I will switch to ics, I already asked letama to share his progress which he did , so a start is there.
Also I really want DSP video hardware accelaration encoding, decoding for gingerbread working. I have progress, but currently I am working on initramfs for the bootmenu which is almost finished.

divx118

Thanks again, I just made this thread requestng devs to pool together as you suggested:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=21164442
10th January 2012, 02:33 AM   |  #195  
Flag Atlanta

921 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The kernel is the same as for archos firmware with some additional features/patches for other OS systems. So it wouldn't be any problem to boot froyo with it. We also boot archos firmware with it. You will need to know of course on which partition your root filesystem is from UD.

divx118

I tried doing a boot with Uruk.. the Init seemed to work, but then it just rebooted back to the OpenAOS menu. Not sure what was the issue.

Couple of things I have noticed with the build RC2 Bull:
1. Unit boots up @ 800Mhz each time, then you have to manually change to 1Ghz after boot.
2. Unit always boots with Wifi disabled (maybe intentional)
3. Sometime the notification bar locks up when swiping away notifications.
4. In battery manager, the "Cell Standby" is taking most of battery drain. If there is a way to force the tablet into Airplane mode, then it wouldn't try to use the radio, and thus, might not drain the battery. I tried to turn into airplane mode, but it did not work (Tried to disabled the radio and got confused) If we can enable Airplane, it would never try to do anything with the radio, and maybe it would not drain as much.
Other than these things, i have been enjoying my experience.
10th January 2012, 05:35 PM   |  #196  
OP Senior Member

343 posts
Quote:

I tried doing a boot with Uruk.. the Init seemed to work, but then it just rebooted back to the OpenAOS menu. Not sure what was the issue.

Couple of things I have noticed with the build RC2 Bull:
1. Unit boots up @ 800Mhz each time, then you have to manually change to 1Ghz after boot.
2. Unit always boots with Wifi disabled (maybe intentional)
3. Sometime the notification bar locks up when swiping away notifications.
4. In battery manager, the "Cell Standby" is taking most of battery drain. If there is a way to force the tablet into Airplane mode, then it wouldn't try to use the radio, and thus, might not drain the battery. I tried to turn into airplane mode, but it did not work (Tried to disabled the radio and got confused) If we can enable Airplane, it would never try to do anything with the radio, and maybe it would not drain as much.
Other than these things, i have been enjoying my experience.

1) I need to look at that.
2) That is not normal, I don't have any problems with that.
3) Didn't notice it yet, but I see if I can reproduce it.
4) When not connected to usb or charger, the device should go to deep sleep. It will then also shutdown the wifi atleast if there is no program running in the background keeping it awake. Also adb debug must not be turned on, else deep sleep will not work. Airplane mode is indeed not working correctly.

divx118
10th January 2012, 06:01 PM   |  #197  
Flag Atlanta

921 posts
Donate to Me
More
I will try to also reproduce the #3. Ill take a screenshot
Quote:

1) I need to look at that.
2) That is not normal, I don't have any problems with that.
3) Didn't notice it yet, but I see if I can reproduce it.
4) When not connected to usb or charger, the device should go to deep sleep. It will then also shutdown the wifi atleast if there is no program running in the background keeping it awake. Also adb debug must not be turned on, else deep sleep will not work. Airplane mode is indeed not working correctly.

divx118

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
14th January 2012, 11:30 PM   |  #198  
Thanks Meter: 17

261 posts
Here's my feedback as a new Bull Archos user. Overall I am very impressed. The steps to take it from vanilla Archos to Bull Archos was not too bad, even for this Windows user. The main thing that helped me is I use 7-zip, which makes it easy to extract the 'gz' and 'bz2' files. It took a little while for my piddly Windows machine to extract the data.img.tar from the bz2 and then again get the right image file, but otherwise all went to plan.

The only problems I have is with video/audio sync; it is worst on Netflix (delay is so bad I can't watch), about average on Flash videos (such as through Veetle) and least on SlingPlayer/Dish mobile. I compare it to my stock Archos system -- which is a nice bonus that it stays available and untouched when I installed bull (I wasn't clear if I would lose this or not before the install).

While this is not directly a bull question, can I use the churli method to root my stock partition/system? I'm not clear how all these things co-exist so not sure if I apply the flash if it will just root my bull RC2, which is already rooted of course.
15th January 2012, 04:27 AM   |  #199  
Thanks Meter: 61

261 posts
WiFi starts up as not connected and is normal, the battery info for cell phone is probably untrue as in many Cyanogenmod & other ROMs for tablets. I had a look at the issues page, they are better than many final release versions in CM & elsewhere. This bull is a super version and one could spend 10 years on those minor issues. But the main video etc issues divx118 is working on are the only things to be finished and after that basically ICS version for Gen8.
15th January 2012, 08:33 AM   |  #200  
OP Senior Member

343 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitflyer

While this is not directly a bull question, can I use the churli method to root my stock partition/system? I'm not clear how all these things co-exist so not sure if I apply the flash if it will just root my bull RC2, which is already rooted of course.

Stock firmware is rooted when started from the bootmenu (entry "Archos"). This can be enabled and disabled in "advanced menu". By default it is on. You also have write access, because of the use of unionfs overlay on stock firmware.

BTW flash video is now using software rendering on RC2 Bull, that is why you get the sync problems and no smooth playback.

divx118
Last edited by divx118; 15th January 2012 at 08:35 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread