Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,558 Members 42,202 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] Degu release archos gen7/gen8 CM7 gingerbread (update 27-01-2013)

Tip us?

pitflyer
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Thanks for the details about the video. I could not figure out what was going on with my semi-rooted stock Archos. I followed your wiki steps, which was basically install SDE, install OpenAoS, install Bull, and Bull works fine, and standard Archos works fine (through OpenAoS) and the file system is R/W and I see the SuperUser App.. but no app would actually be able to get super user rights (su in terminal would say 'permission denied')

Google searches just indicated that my root didn't work. So I'm trying UrukDroid now, but what may put me in a bit of a pickle is that I already removed the standard Archos boot ... so I was only booting Bull/Archos through OPENAOS. Now that UrukDroid by default takes over the whole boot menu I'm not sure I can get back into Archos. Might have to go back to bull with OpenAOS just to be able to get back to stock Archos. I know its possible to use OpenAOS with UrukDroid but I just have not found the steps on how.
Galaxy Note II (SDS repaired), Nexus 4

divx118
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 196
I think I know what is wrong with not getting the popup from superuser.apk I also had that when I integrated it for gen7 devices. My guess is that su binary is not the right one. I will see that I update it.

divx118

wozhere
Old
Thanks Meter 61
This is already well into the quality level of CM R1 standards. I honestly think the wealth of knowledge and hardwork achieved by divx118 should now be taken into CM9 level for an ICS release on Gen8 which will be a huge task. The obvious way forward is to combine with letama who has already made a lot of progress in this area. Both divx118 and letama as well as being talented devs are very nice guys and wise persons. This is important and even after working on CM9 alpha for Gen8 in a coordinated way as the only ROM in progress by them, they will need help from junior contributers and welcome fixes/patches by others and feed back from testers by as early an alpha release as possible. And so this needs an open source too from day one due to te size of ICS level port. All of what I described above, including open source, is what the CM team have just done in the last fortnight moving from Gingerbread to ICS CM9alpha0.x for the HP Touchpad which is not an Android native. The challenge here is the 256mb ceiling.

letama and divx118 should remain the main developers but will need a few other secondary developers to be relaistic, otherwise even for a decent alpha it will take till 2013 that brings us to an even more important point which is all gadgets are becoming obsolete quickly these days and it is not worth not collaborating or letting more precious little time pass by which waits for no man. The sooner there is an incomplete alpha released to people for Gen8, the more use it will give to people before Gen8 becomes in effect obsolete which is not far off. Apart from a good learning project, it will also be a great experience for the Devs in the future era of collective builds which is the only way forward.

However I am already extremely grateful to what these two guys have done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wozhere For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

philocritus
Old
Thanks Meter 209
i'm having a common problem with the market.
it's reporting wrong app compatibility due to changing the dpi to 128.

I was wondering if I can install the market dpi fix on this version of cm7.

To apply it I have to copy vending.apk to /system/app right?

I'm a bit confused because cause due to linking root explorer is reporting a size of 18.4kb everywhere.

airwolf1544
Old
(Last edited by airwolf1544; 14th February 2012 at 06:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 81
Are there major issues that block a release of rc3?

philocritus
Old
Thanks Meter 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf1544 View Post
I'm guessing divx118 is just getting hwaccel working on video.
after that it's pretty much a "retail" bull release :)

divx118
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf1544 View Post
More free time I have that very little lately

I'm indeed working on hwaccel video, I have it now stable working for youtube videos. Overlay to display video is created and dspbridge works too. However 2 problems it doesn't want to go over 20 fps low or high quality doesn't matter. So I am missing something here maybe a setting to up the fps. Also it doesn't resize to full screen yet, however that is IMO a minor issue.
Then I still have problems with opening xvid/divx mpeg4 encoded files. It doesn't assign a codec to them, so the stock videoplayer still fails when trying to play them. mkv files I need to try yet I will have to download some samples.

divx118
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to divx118 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DRSdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 52
does this rom install on the sd or internal memory?
can i dual boot this and urukdroid?
does netflix work on this?
and most of all.. does this rom support swap?
thanks for the help, and the great development.. hoping to jump into this gb rom soon!

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

FrEcP
Old
(Last edited by FrEcP; 18th February 2012 at 11:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRSdroid View Post
does this rom install on the sd or internal memory?
neither nor
it contains of 2 images - 1 for the system and 1 for the data partition
if u want to run it they will be located on the internal storage
Quote:
can i dual boot this and urukdroid?
i haven't found a propper solution yet - still missing it very much
Quote:
does netflix work on this?
don't know
Quote:
and most of all.. does this rom support swap?
also i don't knwo this yet but - imho swap is overrated anyway - i never had a better experience wiht swap on Even in UD I trun it off meanwhile since it feels more reactive to me.

@divx118
juts came here to ask u the same question. I know u are wokring hard on it - but would it be possible that u contact sauron and fiddle out how to multiboot your OSes ?
Atm I see u both going parallel ways - u have multiboot in your kernel - sauron has AlternativeOS in his UD.
But i never got it managed to boot both propper (I tried the debian method as well as some custom fiddeling )
The best thing imho would be being able to boot Bull RC2 as AlternativeOS from UD, since it's already an image and UD is "installed".
Maby UD kernel needs some fixes from you / and other way round?
But as many other people I never made it to the testing team for u - since I can't use Bull as daily OS and still need UD - and reinstalling kernels each day is not really an option
Think you would have much greater feedback with more people helping you...

gazknight
Old
Thanks Meter 9
@divx118
juts came here to ask u the same question. I know u are wokring hard on it - but would it be possible that u contact sauron and fiddle out how to multiboot your OSes ?
Atm I see u both going parallel ways - u have multiboot in your kernel - sauron has AlternativeOS in his UD.
But i never got it managed to boot both propper (I tried the debian method as well as some custom fiddeling )
The best thing imho would be being able to boot Bull RC2 as AlternativeOS from UD, since it's already an image and UD is "installed".
Maby UD kernel needs some fixes from you / and other way round?
But as many other people I never made it to the testing team for u - since I can't use Bull as daily OS and still need UD - and reinstalling kernels each day is not really an option
Think you would have much greater feedback with more people helping you...

This would be great ,, i have the same problem i never got alternativeos to boot either

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazknight For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]