Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 51,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy Note Screen Issues!!!

Tip us?

z00h
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm on a second Note now, first one had all possible screen issues, ie the tint fluctuations, poor gamma and a stuck/dead pixel which appeared after a week of use.

The current one is flawless, the screen is perfect there's no fluctuations, gamma is fine. It really is a joy to use (finally!)

One thing I've noticed is that the screen brightness feels lower (at the same setting level), ie the gammatest.png is darker all the way through to 1 but I can see every number unlike on the old one which clipped at 3. Any comments on that?

truelies1
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I also noticed the black blocky problem when playing video, I don't like this. anyway to fix it?
Motorola 328c->Motorola a6188->Nokia 6610->Nokia n73->Nokia n900->iPhone 4s->iPhone 5 64GB & iPhone 5 16GB & Samsung Galaxy note & HTC One M7 & Nexus 7 2013 32GB & iPad 4th 16GB

A_Saknussemm
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Where are the couple good ones seen lately comming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00h View Post
I'm on a second Note now, first one had all possible screen issues, ie the tint fluctuations, poor gamma and a stuck/dead pixel which appeared after a week of use.

The current one is flawless, the screen is perfect there's no fluctuations, gamma is fine. It really is a joy to use (finally!)

One thing I've noticed is that the screen brightness feels lower (at the same setting level), ie the gammatest.png is darker all the way through to 1 but I can see every number unlike on the old one which clipped at 3. Any comments on that?
Dear z00h;

Could you please tell us where you bought your first and second Notes, as well as the ROM version and place of manufacture of the latest one?

Thanks

z00h
Old
Thanks Meter 0
They are both the same, manufactured by Samsung, battery made in Vietnam 02/2012, same rom. Both bought from amazon uk. It's basically the same batch.

It just shows how poor Samsung's QC is.

A_Saknussemm
Old
(Last edited by A_Saknussemm; 19th April 2012 at 12:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00h View Post
They are both the same, manufactured by Samsung, battery made in Vietnam 02/2012, same rom. Both bought from amazon uk. It's basically the same batch.

It just shows how poor Samsung's QC is.
WoW! you are right, this IS scary.

I was hoping the production line management would get more consistent results as they produce more devices. That as Sprint got their devices ordered, the QC would indeed improve. Maybe the couple good/passable ones talked about here lately are just random accidents.

I've only seen a half dozen in Spain and they seem to be good ones, or at least their faults are not as obvious as the dead pixels or color temperature instability (only seen 2 outside of a store with subdued lighting). So far getting a good screen feels like a lottery, or at least contacting users critical enough to see the faults.

Wonder if any senior member has any idea of the percentage of XDA members make up in the overall Android device pool. I suppose the number is extremely small counting all devices, but maybe high end device owners frequent the forum in greater numbers, or at least are more critical of screen quality.

Really bad in Samsung not admitting the faults, for the is a HUGE potential for the Note in the Art/Design community. There are already a growing number of Deviant art members using the Note with amazing results, but the moment one gets a bad screen if Samsung's attitude does not change the whole community may dismiss the device.

HTC had a chance but blew it with a poor digitizer; Samsung has really started something special here with the Wacom stylus and the happy middle size(for me anyways). I myself missed having one since my WM20003 (Palm too!) not just for drawing, but graffiti text input...

Thanks, A.S.

knightblaze
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I read the first few pages but couldn't proceed with the other 100 plus. Just curious, did anyone reach out to Samsung concerning this? I would think with enough complaints something would happen (recall, better devices being swapped ect).

fluoxethine
Old
Thanks Meter 2
IMO the technology behind this new HD Super AMOLED is in its infancy an the quality will vary. Samsung won't do a massive exchange of devices. I think that the easiest way will be to complain to your carrier or distributor.

Samsung will never agree that their screens are poor.

Also look here at specs:
http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find
http://www.samsung.com/au/smartphone...er-amoled.html
lack of any statements that it is a full 24 bit display ; )

@$%^@$%^ Samsung! However I'm glad that I won't find Amoled in Galaxy Note Tab.

SpyderTracks
Old
Thanks Meter 579
If I understand correctly it's not an issue with hardware but rather with software. Release by release of firmware has improved the issue, and since ics uses full hardware support which GB never did, the issue is almost resolved but certainly improved beyond recognition.

IMO the note was always intended for ics but they released it early, so the true note experience will be limited under gb.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6833
Stock .257 Unrooted

Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, iPhone 3GS, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Universal, Sony Ericsson P990i, boat load of nokia's for a long time.

I love this site!!! Thanks to all

Gus Hayabusa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Sharing my expirience.

To all guys who have posted about galaxy note's screen issues....

Im the guy who originally started this thread.
Id like to share my experience since a lot has happened since then.

As I mentioned on my original post, my screen was changing shades (pinkish to greenish to grayish), the so called dimming from what Ive learned.

When I first noticed this issue, I wasnt sure if it was a problem that the phone had or it was caused due to a serious drop that my Note took.

Later on and through this thread I realised that many more had this issue.
I got desperate and I... well I dont know how to say this to you droid fanatics,
I sold my Note and got a 4s!!! What can I say.... "stuff" happens... :)

Anyway, to make a long story short, the iphone was fine but I just couldnt take my eyes of the Note especially when I saw the white one. My heart was still there :)
So I took the risk and bought a white one.
I was very lucky with this one as far as the screen is concerned... Absolutely no issues... perfect. But... I tripped on some stairs and the phone fell down the stairs and dropped into a bucket of water!!!! Really.

At this point I will give some advise that hopefully no one will have to use.
I took the phone from the bucket and immediatly removed the battery.
Placed it into a towel and after swipping it as dry as I could, I took a hair drier and blew into all of its ports for about half an hour until my hands couldnt take the heat any more.... Here is the strange part... The phone worked!!!! And when I say a bucket of water, it was full!!!! Anyway... As much as I liked to keep this phone, there was a scratch on the screen from the fall. So I gave it up.

But I didnt stop there ofcourse....
I bought a new one thinking that the screen issues of my first note were just because the phone had just been released and... who knows...
Well... I was wrong....
My 3rd Note had the same screen issues as the first one....
Dont want to mention what an idiot I felt for insisting with this phone but still...
I didnt give up.
I sold the 3d one and got my 4th.
I am now the happy owner of a white galaxy Note with absolutely NO issues!

Now, my observation is this:
The 2 Notes I had -with- the screen issues (the 1st one and the 3rd one) where officially imported to my country (Greece) from local dealers. The other two that had -No- screen issues were unofficially imported from France. Note that all of them were running on the same software versions without any rooting etc.

Now I dont know if Samsung assembles ALL of her screens in the same factory,
but Im guessing this is a hardware problem and some "experts" told me that issues have appeared with samsung screens but also with other brands, according to the assembly line and location.

So... my personal experience with the Note, has obviously been a matter of luck!!!!
Either the phone has the problem, or it doesnt!!!
So whichever friend has these issues and has a warranty, my advise is... try to get it replaced.
I personally never tried that because Ive heard some veeery long periods of "waiting for a reply" from my local dealers, that I just couldnt take.
But Im sure this is not the case in all countries.

I hope Ive helped in any way.
Stay true

Latoc
Old
Thanks Meter 48
****, greece is really unlucky at this time.

Wish you the best man.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Latoc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
lame thread is lame, pedobear was here