Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,940 Members 47,062 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy Note Screen Issues!!!

Tip us?

swavab
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Sorry to ask guys..can any one differentiate these words..banding,clipping,black crush..these are same or seperate..? I think me got black crush where contrast black areas are pixelated in gallery and videos..? Is it same with those..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

fluoxethine
Old
(Last edited by fluoxethine; 23rd May 2012 at 08:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
For me it's all the same. We talk about 'black crush' when we consider lowest values of the RGB and 'color banding ' is for all the rest.

On test chart in the previous post viewed on my Note 'black crush' is rectangles numbered:
0-3 for white
0-2 for Red
0-1 for Green
0-3 for Blue

They are just pure black.

For color banding I can find similar sets of a few rectangles which have the same color, but with higher RGB values.

Some people say that black crush was corrected with ICS but not the color banding. You can easily get rid of black crush by rescaling color space and starting from RGB(5,5,5) as black RGB(0,0,0). However IMO it could be better if there was dithering used like in gifs. Unfortunately each display differs in amount of that color banding effect so corrections should be made individually for each display. Probably the user should correct manually the whole color chart presented in my previous post.
The Following User Says Thank You to fluoxethine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

M3TALLICA
Old
Thanks Meter 533
Nice to see this thread is always on the 1st page.
We ought to vote it for sticky! :)

climo
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default Note Pre-purchase

Hey Guys, getting ready to purchase a Note and would like to know if there is quick and easy method to check the screen while I'm in the store. This way I can make sure the screen is good. I already have a SGS2 that has a blueish tint when viewed at an angle and would hate to find out my new note has similar issues with the screen.
I browsed thru a few posts but did not find anything about checking inside the store before purchase..or maybe I missed it.

edit: will this work to check the screen? Turn brightness all the way down, open S Memo app with white background and look for changes in colors when viewed at angles? Or is there another way?

shchiam1978
Old
Thanks Meter 143
*#0*#
At the same time lower the screen brightness to 0 and try to check if there's any changes in color.
Test it in dark place.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA
Every phone performance may differ from others. Try the ROM/Modem/Kernel by yourself and judge it from there.
Don't forget to click thanks!

climo
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shchiam1978 View Post
*#0*#
At the same time lower the screen brightness to 0 and try to check if there's any changes in color.
Test it in dark place.

Ok thanks!! I looked up the code and its hardware test mode. But if you put a space between each symbol * # 0 * # it the LCD test mode. I guess I want the LCD test mode correct?

shchiam1978
Old
Thanks Meter 143
No spaces. The hardware test does have the LCD test mode.
Try it out.

Every phone performance may differ from others. Try the ROM/Modem/Kernel by yourself and judge it from there.
Don't forget to click thanks!

indie
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Guys as you all now i was quite active on the thread a while back. I believed there were no good screens out there as i saw 6 different notes bought from various places and countries. They all suffered from the black crush / gamma issue. My wife just got her upgrade from t mobile uk and is a galaxy note and guess what, no issues. This is the first note i have seen. The gamma png test is almost dark all across the left and not just cutt off at 4 during normal light. In pure darkness it is still cut at 4 but again i must stress that during normal use it gradually goes to black on the left but the films are much much better. The iron man sample is also very very good. I firmly believe now this is a hardware issue as this is fine. My note had the screen replaced and still has the issue. My wifes note is perfect.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

brockyneo
Old
Thanks Meter 284

DONATE TO ME
Lol this thread is very popular and no one has thanked the person who has opened it

hp79
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockyneo View Post
Lol this thread is very popular and no one has thanked the person who has opened it
Because people don't thank you for asking a question.

Tags
lame thread is lame, pedobear was here