Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 38,702 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Maintain Full CPU Speed with Screen Off

Tip us?

ricovox
Old
(Last edited by ricovox; 7th November 2011 at 08:26 PM.) Reason: mention SetCPU
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Question [Q] Maintain Full CPU Speed with Screen Off

I was just wondering if there is a way to allow the X2 to maintain full CPU speed, even when the screen is off. The reason I am interested in this is that I want downloads and other background operations to be able to complete quickly, even when I turn the screen off to conserve energy.

Some background:
In order to make our phones conserve battery, the CPU frequency is reduced when the screen is off. I am not sure if this happens with 100% stock, but it is certainly the case with custom ROMs (e.g. I'm now running Eclipse 1.2), and I know some of the performance scripts do this as well.
Ordinarily, this is great, because it drastically improves battery life. But there are times when I want a background process to run (e.g. app updates or internet downloads), and I want to turn off the screen to save battery, but I would like the process to keep running at full speed.
Yesterday, I was transferring files over wifi, and I was getting speeds of 1.2MB/s or more when the screen was on, but when I turned it off, the speed dropped to around 400KB/s or so. I turned the screen back on to check, and sure enough the speed resumed at the higher rate. (BTW, I have the wifi sleep policy set to never). I'm assuming this was all due to CPU frequency throttling.

Ideally, I would like to have the current battery-conservative behavior most of the time, but in some occasions I would like to switch the behavior to allow full CPU speed during screen-off.

Is there a setting I can change (or a script, app etc). I've seen some info about SetCPU. Does anyone recommend this app, and is it likely to conflict with or be overridden by the settings in a custom ROM or performance script such as supercharger etc?
I would love it if someone could point me to some more information about this issue, and the Android settings and hacks that affect it. Thanks in advance!

ashclepdia
Old
Thanks Meter 1521

DONATE TO ME
If u have a script in init.d that refers to CPU frequency ...then whenvu use setcpu the value u put for min should hold. Atvleast for a little while. U can also set a screen off profile in setcpu.
Imbnot sure if these values will hold for long tho due to our kernel limits
Off topic gone??? Mods got you down??? Visit motcher41's
Google+ Droid Friends & General Help Community
Anyone and virtually anything welcome there!
My GALAXY NEXUS(huzzah!) is running

Don't get left in the dark!
Tags
cpu, rom, screen, speed, throttle