Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,356 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooted Nook Touch: Calibre friendly?

Tip us?

tonyx3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Rooted Nook Touch: Calibre friendly?

I rooted my N2E, and played around with it a bit, using TN. Then I restored my unrooted backup, because I couldn't seem to find a convenient way to do the one thing I want to do.

I want to wirelessly browse my calibre library, and download books from it to my nook.

I don't care what method is used. Calibre's content server, dropbox, whatever. I just want a convenient way to sideload books from calibre onto my nook without plugging it in.

But I couldn't find a way that would be simpler than just plugging it in and using Calibre's 'send to device' command, so I unrooted and went back to my backup.

Did I miss something?

met67
Old
Thanks Meter 32
On my Nook color with CM7 I use the following setup:
- I set up Calibre to mount a folder as a device, pointing to a dropbox synced folder, so that "send to device" sends epubs to dropbox folder.
- I also use calibre2opds to create a dropbox accessible library to browse from any device (it creates also an HTML browsable version).
- on NookColor I use FolderSyncLite to automatically sync the dropbox folder with a folder on sdcard (eg Nook's MyDocuments).

Then I can use sync feature of Mantano Reader to keep its library in sync with dropbox calibre device or simply use Nook which doesn't need an explicit import to use books in its folder.

I plan to replicate this setup on my Nook Touch, which should arrive today

l_uka
Old
(Last edited by l_uka; 8th November 2011 at 09:25 AM.) Reason: one word missing
Thanks Meter 2
hello,

I'm using Samba server on nook. Then on Windows I mapped nook as a drive and set up calibre to sync with My Files folder. Works like a charm.

PS I'm new around here so I can not post links. Search market for com.funkyfresh.samba

GabrialDestruir
Old
(Last edited by GabrialDestruir; 8th November 2011 at 10:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 506
I use a combination of two methods to sync my books with Calibre and reading devices:
  • Calibre Library in Dropbox -
    • Syncs between Computers, can download any Calibre book via Dropbox.
    • I use this for books I don't want to carry around all the time, school books, manuals, etc.
    There are multiple apps which will sync specific folders in Dropbox with specific folders on an android device. One of these could work for automatic syncing.

• Wired Connection -
    • I use this for a large updates of my devices library since it's faster than Dropbox.
    • When I want to immediately sync a new book to read that I've just obtained.
Nexus 4 - Paranoid Android
Nexus 7 - Stock Rooted
Nook Glow - Stock

LastSilmaril
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Post Oooh, goody

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrialDestruir View Post
I use a combination of two methods to sync my books with Calibre and reading devices:
  • Calibre Library in Dropbox -
    • Syncs between Computers, can download any Calibre book via Dropbox.
    • I use this for books I don't want to carry around all the time, school books, manuals, etc.
    There are multiple apps which will sync specific folders in Dropbox with specific folders on an android device. One of these could work for automatic syncing.

• Wired Connection -
    • I use this for a large updates of my devices library since it's faster than Dropbox.
    • When I want to immediately sync a new book to read that I've just obtained.
Gives me a good reason to root again. I will try it out, but not until after I sort out the stock 1.1.0 WiFi issues I'm having.

Droidatar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by met67 View Post
On my Nook color with CM7 I use the following setup:
- I set up Calibre to mount a folder as a device, pointing to a dropbox synced folder, so that "send to device" sends epubs to dropbox folder.
- I also use calibre2opds to create a dropbox accessible library to browse from any device (it creates also an HTML browsable version).
- on NookColor I use FolderSyncLite to automatically sync the dropbox folder with a folder on sdcard (eg Nook's MyDocuments).

Then I can use sync feature of Mantano Reader to keep its library in sync with dropbox calibre device or simply use Nook which doesn't need an explicit import to use books in its folder.

I plan to replicate this setup on my Nook Touch, which should arrive today
I know this is an old thread but just want to say thanks for spelling this out. some day I will try and mirror this set-up and may have questions

bobkoure
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Do Aldiko and Moon+'s ability to add an OPDS catalog not work on a rooted NST?

I have a server in my basement hosting my library. I use CalibretoOPDS to generate both OPDS and HTML catalogs. It's a 'dead' list, in the sense that there's no decent searching, but I have access to it basically anywhere. I can expose it publicly as I'm using Apache and can easily password protect that directory.
There's a Calibre PHP app, that I may move to, just so I can search my library before downloading.

I also use FolderSync to move audiobooks, music, and pictures to my portable devices. I guess I could add epubs to the list if the above doesn't work.
On my server, I have a root folder for each mobile device, then subfolders for audiobooks, music, etc. I have parallel folders on my mobile devices. I run FolderSync on each mobile devices with 2 'folder pairs' for each matching pair of folders. One is SMB, runs locally every night, the other is SFTP, and runs only on demand.
To move something to a mobile device, I just copy it to the appropriate folder on my server, and everything happens 'automatically' - unless I'm on the road, at which point i have to trigger the synchronization.

BTW, for SFTP on windows, I'm having best luck with Sysax 'Multi Server'. Not open source, but you can get a personal use license for free. (As a side note, Aldiko, and maybe Moon+, allow me to specify a port, so I could, but don't currently, set this up to use a commonly-not-blocked port, like 443. I'll do this if I get blocked. FTP is often blocked, also BTW)

I do all this now for a smartphone and a tablet. I recently decided I wanted a specific-purpose reader with e-ink. The NST jumped right out as the right choice. I'm figuring I'll root mine as soon as I get it and so these same things with it, but I'm just planning to use it as a reader (well and maybe limited browsing as I sometimes do that with my library before downloading via OPDS).

Hoping this is more helpful than confusing.

Droidatar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default Calibre settings

this seems to be the best place for this question.

I changed the settings in Calibre as to the sort title appending with a letter so I can have books of a certain type listed at the back-end of the Nook Library but they do not sort that way so I have to put the letter in the actual title does anyone know of a better way to sort books using the following set-up?

Nook touch rooted cynogenmod7
Nook Library
Using Calibre to load books with the generic android device (could not make the nook plugin work) would not send to the right place on the Nook

Thanks for any resonses

Googie2149
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidatar View Post
Nook touch rooted cynogenmod7
Are you sure you have a Nook Touch?

Droidatar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googie2149 View Post
Are you sure you have a Nook Touch?
Sorry I have the nook color

I have noticed with Calibre it actualy brought my B&N books into the Calibre library, some I can view some I cant. I believe the books I could view were the magazines.