FORUMS

What Features Do You Look for in a Gallery App?

With so many different options to choose from, finding the right Gallery app may be a … more

Google Photos ‘Unlimited’ Storage Reportedly Being Capped

When Google Photos was announced, many of us thought very highly … more

Sprint Moves to Lift Video Streaming Limit for All-In

Yesterday, Sprint announced a new unlimited scheme that offered customers an … more

Xiaomi Releases Kernel Source Code For Mi4i

If you’ve been following the XDA News Portal lately, you might have noticed an … more

LCD Density?

873 posts
Thanks Meter: 84
 
By qwertyaas, Senior Member on 8th November 2011, 12:43 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
With the talk of Samsung releasing the SGSII line with just about the lowest resolution on the market, has anyone been using an LCD Density changer (or just changed the density) to effectively give a better resolution?

How are the results? Does it cause any issues in apps or what not?
 
 
8th November 2011, 02:08 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 257
 
More
I have unfortunately touchwiz can't handle the change, i mean it still works but it doesn't adapt to the new size, neither does the dialer. tried turning off compatibility mode in spare parts, but that did nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to y2whisper For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2011, 02:33 PM |#3  
nickshertzer's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 618
 
More
Here is a screenie from when I was running CM7.1 nightly 9 with ADW EX launcher set to 8x8 homescreen with DPI set to 200



The dialer was compressed, but nothing that some editing of the numerical PNG files in contacts.apk couldn't fix. It worked fine, no force closes anywhere.

Super simple to do, just use Root Explorer to edit /system/build.prop and change the line:
Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=200
...save + exit and reboot.

The smaller the number, the more compressed the pixels. My Dell Streak 5 default is dpi 160, so using a 4x4 touchwiz homescreen at 240 dpi is taking some getting use to.

Some market apps will refuse to install at anything other than stock dpi. Not a big deal, revert changes + reboot + install + mod dpi again + reboot + done.

For the record, I'm using UnNamed 1.1 this week at stock DPI (and amazed that I kinda like TW4)
Last edited by nickshertzer; 8th November 2011 at 02:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickshertzer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2011, 07:18 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Okay im looking at that line so how do i edit it? Forgive me im new to this stuff /


SGS2 rooted and Overclocked to 1.5ghz stock rom p
9th November 2011, 02:55 AM |#5  
nickshertzer's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 618
 
More
No prob. Using Root Explorer, navigate to /system/ and make sure to hit the button in the top right "Mount R/W"

Long press "build.prop" and select Open in Text Editor
Make the change to the line "ro.sf.lcd_density=240" to whatever you want (200 probably works best)
Hit Menu softkey and choose "Save & Exit"
Root Explorer will automatically save a backup copy of build.prop
Reboot your phone to apply DPI change.

There is also a free root file manager called Super Manager, but I haven't used it.
9th November 2011, 06:35 PM |#6  
fone_fanatic's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Central Texas
Thanks Meter: 241
 
Donate to Me
More
I came from a dell streak as well so the stock 240 density was WAY too big for me. Mine is set to 200 now and like it much better! But i ditched TW and i'm currently running UnNamed + ADWex.

nickshertzer, i'm currently attempting to edit the Phone.apk so the dialer stretches out. How did you go about doing this? I've got the Phone.apk decompiled, can't it be fixed by editing the dip values in the .xml files?

I found this thread with a script to edit the dialer for the I9000 that i'm attempting to use as a rough guide.
9th November 2011, 07:27 PM |#7  
hkeyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ventura, Ca.
Thanks Meter: 84
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshertzer

Here is a screenie from when I was running CM7.1 nightly 9 with ADW EX launcher set to 8x8 homescreen with DPI set to 200



The dialer was compressed, but nothing that some editing of the numerical PNG files in contacts.apk couldn't fix. It worked fine, no force closes anywhere.

Super simple to do, just use Root Explorer to edit /system/build.prop and change the line:

Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=200
...save + exit and reboot.

The smaller the number, the more compressed the pixels. My Dell Streak 5 default is dpi 160, so using a 4x4 touchwiz homescreen at 240 dpi is taking some getting use to.

Some market apps will refuse to install at anything other than stock dpi. Not a big deal, revert changes + reboot + install + mod dpi again + reboot + done.

For the record, I'm using UnNamed 1.1 this week at stock DPI (and amazed that I kinda like TW4)

Nick I tried your method several different ways and have been going around an around with this for several weeks on our phone and also Sprint version too and the revert back does not stick or still allow to download/update the apps from the market. Tried restarting, clearing cache and resetting the market data and restarting but it still would persist and not allow the updates and incompatibility. The only success I experience is right after I update to a newer version of ROM or clean install all together (which for obvious reasons) resets the phone and then allows the update actions. It is just very frustrating that the DPI change would hinder "Certain Apps" from updating. Anyone have ideas on a future solution besides Nicks input on the manual fix? I think we have brilliant screens with lots of potential for various display options and I miss using the 200dpi settings, but application updates and use of the market is much more important for daily use.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fone_fanatic

I came from a dell streak as well so the stock 240 density was WAY too big for me. Mine is set to 200 now and like it much better! But i ditched TW and i'm currently running UnNamed + ADWex.

nickshertzer, i'm currently attempting to edit the Phone.apk so the dialer stretches out. How did you go about doing this? I've got the Phone.apk decompiled, can't it be fixed by editing the dip values in the .xml files?

I found this thread with a script to edit the dialer for the I9000 that i'm attempting to use as a rough guide.

I have used the dialer files from this thread you mentioned and it all works fine on this ROM the only down side is once you theme that it changes to the themed dialer and goes with the 240 adjusted dialer. I would hope you could share your input and steps (If not too complex) to allow themers to integrate into their themes for multi dpi users.
9th November 2011, 07:33 PM |#8  
poofyhairguy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 101
 
More
No need to edit build.prop, this app does it for you:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/lcd-reso....lcdresolution

My biggest issue is the fact that the market sometimes won't let you install stuff at non240 densities.
9th November 2011, 08:23 PM |#9  
fone_fanatic's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Central Texas
Thanks Meter: 241
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poofyhairguy

No need to edit build.prop, this app does it for you:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/lcd-reso....lcdresolution

My biggest issue is the fact that the market sometimes won't let you install stuff at non240 densities.

this has been posted as an issue, go here and star it to bring it to the attention of the android devs.
29th January 2012, 08:20 AM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas

With the talk of Samsung releasing the SGSII line with just about the lowest resolution on the market, has anyone been using an LCD Density changer (or just changed the density) to effectively give a better resolution?

How are the results? Does it cause any issues in apps or what not?

Lowest res on the market? 800x480 is the industry standard at the moment. Not the best, but certainly not the lowest.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777) using XDA Premium.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes