Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 38,301 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LCD Density?

Tip us?

qwertyaas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Default LCD Density?

With the talk of Samsung releasing the SGSII line with just about the lowest resolution on the market, has anyone been using an LCD Density changer (or just changed the density) to effectively give a better resolution?

How are the results? Does it cause any issues in apps or what not?

y2whisper
Old
Thanks Meter 219
I have unfortunately touchwiz can't handle the change, i mean it still works but it doesn't adapt to the new size, neither does the dialer. tried turning off compatibility mode in spare parts, but that did nothing.
Google Nexus 5 by LG 32GB
Slimkat 6.6
Faux Kernel

Google Nexus 7 by Asus 32GB
Stock L Preview - Rooted
Stock Kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to y2whisper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nickshertzer
Old
(Last edited by nickshertzer; 8th November 2011 at 02:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 597
Here is a screenie from when I was running CM7.1 nightly 9 with ADW EX launcher set to 8x8 homescreen with DPI set to 200

The dialer was compressed, but nothing that some editing of the numerical PNG files in contacts.apk couldn't fix. It worked fine, no force closes anywhere.

Super simple to do, just use Root Explorer to edit /system/build.prop and change the line:
Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=200
...save + exit and reboot.

The smaller the number, the more compressed the pixels. My Dell Streak 5 default is dpi 160, so using a 4x4 touchwiz homescreen at 240 dpi is taking some getting use to.

Some market apps will refuse to install at anything other than stock dpi. Not a big deal, revert changes + reboot + install + mod dpi again + reboot + done.

For the record, I'm using UnNamed 1.1 this week at stock DPI (and amazed that I kinda like TW4)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickshertzer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Apocsgs2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Okay im looking at that line so how do i edit it? Forgive me im new to this stuff /

SGS2 rooted and Overclocked to 1.5ghz stock rom p

nickshertzer
Old
Thanks Meter 597
No prob. Using Root Explorer, navigate to /system/ and make sure to hit the button in the top right "Mount R/W"

Long press "build.prop" and select Open in Text Editor
Make the change to the line "ro.sf.lcd_density=240" to whatever you want (200 probably works best)
Hit Menu softkey and choose "Save & Exit"
Root Explorer will automatically save a backup copy of build.prop
Reboot your phone to apply DPI change.

There is also a free root file manager called Super Manager, but I haven't used it.

fone_fanatic
Old
Thanks Meter 237

DONATE TO ME
I came from a dell streak as well so the stock 240 density was WAY too big for me. Mine is set to 200 now and like it much better! But i ditched TW and i'm currently running UnNamed + ADWex.

nickshertzer, i'm currently attempting to edit the Phone.apk so the dialer stretches out. How did you go about doing this? I've got the Phone.apk decompiled, can't it be fixed by editing the dip values in the .xml files?

I found this thread with a script to edit the dialer for the I9000 that i'm attempting to use as a rough guide.
| Magician | Wizard | Hermes | Kaiser | Raphael | Rhodium | Dell STREAK (sorry HTC )

hkeyman
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshertzer View Post
Here is a screenie from when I was running CM7.1 nightly 9 with ADW EX launcher set to 8x8 homescreen with DPI set to 200

The dialer was compressed, but nothing that some editing of the numerical PNG files in contacts.apk couldn't fix. It worked fine, no force closes anywhere.

Super simple to do, just use Root Explorer to edit /system/build.prop and change the line:
Code:
ro.sf.lcd_density=200
...save + exit and reboot.

The smaller the number, the more compressed the pixels. My Dell Streak 5 default is dpi 160, so using a 4x4 touchwiz homescreen at 240 dpi is taking some getting use to.

Some market apps will refuse to install at anything other than stock dpi. Not a big deal, revert changes + reboot + install + mod dpi again + reboot + done.

For the record, I'm using UnNamed 1.1 this week at stock DPI (and amazed that I kinda like TW4)
Nick I tried your method several different ways and have been going around an around with this for several weeks on our phone and also Sprint version too and the revert back does not stick or still allow to download/update the apps from the market. Tried restarting, clearing cache and resetting the market data and restarting but it still would persist and not allow the updates and incompatibility. The only success I experience is right after I update to a newer version of ROM or clean install all together (which for obvious reasons) resets the phone and then allows the update actions. It is just very frustrating that the DPI change would hinder "Certain Apps" from updating. Anyone have ideas on a future solution besides Nicks input on the manual fix? I think we have brilliant screens with lots of potential for various display options and I miss using the 200dpi settings, but application updates and use of the market is much more important for daily use.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fone_fanatic View Post
I came from a dell streak as well so the stock 240 density was WAY too big for me. Mine is set to 200 now and like it much better! But i ditched TW and i'm currently running UnNamed + ADWex.

nickshertzer, i'm currently attempting to edit the Phone.apk so the dialer stretches out. How did you go about doing this? I've got the Phone.apk decompiled, can't it be fixed by editing the dip values in the .xml files?

I found this thread with a script to edit the dialer for the I9000 that i'm attempting to use as a rough guide.
I have used the dialer files from this thread you mentioned and it all works fine on this ROM the only down side is once you theme that it changes to the themed dialer and goes with the 240 adjusted dialer. I would hope you could share your input and steps (If not too complex) to allow themers to integrate into their themes for multi dpi users.
Transported from Hkeyman's
[TABLET] Samsung Galaxy NOTE 10.1 - GT-N8013
[Phone] AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - SM-900A
[ ROM ] Stock...for now
[Kernel] Stock 3.4.0-1562818
[Baseband] Rooted JSS15J.N900AUCUBMI1

poofyhairguy
Old
Thanks Meter 97
No need to edit build.prop, this app does it for you:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/lcd-reso....lcdresolution

My biggest issue is the fact that the market sometimes won't let you install stuff at non240 densities.

fone_fanatic
Old
Thanks Meter 237

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by poofyhairguy View Post
No need to edit build.prop, this app does it for you:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/lcd-reso....lcdresolution

My biggest issue is the fact that the market sometimes won't let you install stuff at non240 densities.
this has been posted as an issue, go here and star it to bring it to the attention of the android devs.
| Magician | Wizard | Hermes | Kaiser | Raphael | Rhodium | Dell STREAK (sorry HTC )

Man_Cave_Tech
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
With the talk of Samsung releasing the SGSII line with just about the lowest resolution on the market, has anyone been using an LCD Density changer (or just changed the density) to effectively give a better resolution?

How are the results? Does it cause any issues in apps or what not?
Lowest res on the market? 800x480 is the industry standard at the moment. Not the best, but certainly not the lowest.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777) using XDA Premium.