XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Loading Non-Market Apps

Tip us?

brucegil
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Lightbulb Loading Non-Market Apps

I realize Android veterans already know about this, but I was able to load an application and install it directly from a website without going through the Android or AT&T market - and without installing any special software or making any hacks.

The User's Guide from HTC explains on page 64: Go to Settings - Applications and check the Unknown Sources checkbox. Respond Yes to the warning message. Then I went to the website and downloaded the apk file. Notifications showed the file. I just tapped on it and responded to the message about installing it. A couple of seconds later the program was running.

I realize this does not address situations where someone wants to do some hardcore rooting. But it does mean that non-market apps are not locked out from being used.

doktor buknasty
Old
Thanks Meter 107
For a while now Att have allowed us to install apks from unknown sources. I remember when they made a silent update for the inspire.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
Current: HTC Vivid (White)
Rom: Stock

Previous
Inspire 4G
Rom: Bindroid

Noodles5666
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Every Android that has been released since the Samsung Infuse has had the ability to install apps from Unknown Sources. The Atrix, Inspire and Captivate were updated to allow Unknown Source installations.
Asus FonePad
8GB

Google Nexus Q

brucegil
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by doktor buknasty View Post
For a while now Att have allowed us to install apks from unknown sources. I remember when they made a silent update for the inspire.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
Thanks for the clarification. I'm new to Android, but I recalled seeing some posts about AT&T rerstricting non-market downloads. I'm glad it's no longer an issue.

bconover93
Old
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Yep. as the owner of at&t's 1st Android, I never got said update, or even past Eclair. But it's ok. I've been rooted and rommed for a while now.
DEVICES:
Samsung Galaxy S III running AOKP 4.2.1
Motorola Backflip running CyanogenMod 7.2 (sitting in drawer)
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe