Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 54,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Change your APN settings!

Tip us?

Driggity420
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Default Change your APN settings!

When i started using my Skyrocket i noticed my data was very patchy(would work here and there and not let me open certain websites and speedtest.net app was not connecting at all). I looked into the APN settings and noticed it said "PTA". I looked into this and found out that it was for the new LTE network. I do not live near a LTE area nor do i think ill be getting it anytime soon(i live in south new jersey). So i googled at&t hspa+ settings and found this forum that gave the settings for hspa+ and mms and rebooted my Skyrocket. Boom! Ping times down to 80 and speedtest.net app connects asap. Every single thing i do that involves internet is instant. If you dont have LTE in your area i highly recommend doing this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Driggity420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Driggity420
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1109983

The Following User Says Thank You to Driggity420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crawlgsx
Old
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
I live in Maine, we don't even have "4g", let alone lte. I have not messed with my APN settings and data has been flawless for me. I get 3.5-4mb consistently at my house (3g) where I used t get anywhere from 500kb-2.5mb, with a rare spike of 3mb. I also have yet to try anything data wise on my phone that was "blocked" or didn't work.
Chris D.
AT&T | BB Z10
Previously - LG G3, HTC One M8 ,LG G2, Nexus 5, HTC One, BB Z10, Note II, Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 920, ATT GS3, Note N7000, Skyrocket, Infuse 4g, Inspire 4g , Atrix 4g, iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, iPhone, HTC 8525, many dumb-phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to crawlgsx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dxtra
Old
Thanks Meter 33
This temporary solve the problem. At&t is behind this. Take a look at your plan. From I'm seen the Unlimited plan I was grandfather in has restrictions impulse . The 2GB data plan said you could freely stream, search ect. Calling at&t wtf is this BS. Piss off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

MisterEdF
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Data speeds vary so widely depending on 100's of factors. The "speedtest" apps themselves are barely reliable, you can run them 5 times in a row and get huge variations. You can't get true results based on one 5 second download. One time I get 10ms ping and 5 seconds later I get 9,500ms. One time I get .2Kbps and 5 seconds later I get 9MBps download.

Most of these speed test results and their fixes are just smoke and mirrors and the "results" are totally meaningless because they will vary from one SECOND to the next.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterEdF For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Longcat14
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxtra View Post
This temporary solve the problem. At&t is behind this. Take a look at your plan. From I'm seen the Unlimited plan I was grandfather in has restrictions impulse . The 2GB data plan said you could freely stream, search ect. Calling at&t wtf is this BS. Piss off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
Yep, it's probably to get you off the unlimited plan.

Just call AT&T and tell them what kind of bull**** is this, bitch for a long time, threaten to cancel your service and go to Verizon for an LTE network that's faster (lies) and spread out more, and I'm sure they'll come to some agreement.
Current Phone

Samsung Galaxy S5 - AT&T
-----------------------------------------
Rooted
-----------------------------------------

Previous Phone(s):
HTC One M8 - Samsung Galaxy S III Pebble Blue - Apple iPhone 4S

Driggity420
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
I am on an an unlimited plan i have had many phones that never had this issue and my data was consistant. I knew it had to do with the APN. FOR ME this worked. It seemed like my skyrocket was picky about websites and facebook did not want to refresh and the issue with the soeedtest.net app wasnt its accuracy it simply would not connect AT ALL. It just never found a connection. When i would use wifi everything worked perfect for me and still does. I did not delete the stock APN so when lte comes around ill just go back but for now im back to my normal CONSISTANT bandwidth. And im clocking faster speeds at my house than any other phone ive used

decimusmaximus7
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I am on an LTE data plan but I don't have LTE in my area so I tried switching this too. I was unable to get MMS to work, although my MMS works fine on both the pta apn and the wap.cingular apn.
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
[ROM] Sky Ice Cream Sandwich 7.4 Speed
[KERNEL] Stock-ish 0.3
[Radio] I727UCLA3

mbze430
Old
Thanks Meter 151
to prove that it's "at&t conspiracy" to make grandfathered user to switch...

Anyone using the PTA APN with the 2GB "Unlimited" Plan have issues going to sites like.. say www.justin.tv?

I personally think the PTA APN is restricted and has NOTHING to do with which plan someone has.

Find someone with a 2GB Plan and ask them to use the PTA APN and see if they can get to ... www.justin.tv
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 + Quantum v5
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 + Official CM11

decimusmaximus7
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbze430 View Post
to prove that it's "at&t conspiracy" to make grandfathered user to switch...

Anyone using the PTA APN with the 2GB "Unlimited" Plan have issues going to sites like.. say www.justin.tv?

I personally think the PTA APN is restricted and has NOTHING to do with which plan someone has.

Find someone with a 2GB Plan and ask them to use the PTA APN and see if they can get to ... www.justin.tv
I tried it on mine, justin.tv wouldn't load on pta, phone, or wap.cingular apns. Then I switched back to pta, and it loaded.
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
[ROM] Sky Ice Cream Sandwich 7.4 Speed
[KERNEL] Stock-ish 0.3
[Radio] I727UCLA3