Change your APN settings!

OP Driggity420

9th November 2011, 05:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 51

425 posts
More
When i started using my Skyrocket i noticed my data was very patchy(would work here and there and not let me open certain websites and speedtest.net app was not connecting at all). I looked into the APN settings and noticed it said "PTA". I looked into this and found out that it was for the new LTE network. I do not live near a LTE area nor do i think ill be getting it anytime soon(i live in south new jersey). So i googled at&t hspa+ settings and found this forum that gave the settings for hspa+ and mms and rebooted my Skyrocket. Boom! Ping times down to 80 and speedtest.net app connects asap. Every single thing i do that involves internet is instant. If you dont have LTE in your area i highly recommend doing this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Driggity420 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2011, 05:57 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Jersey

425 posts
More
Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1109983

The Following User Says Thank You to Driggity420 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2011, 12:46 PM   |  #3  
Flag Maine, USA
Thanks Meter: 285

1,516 posts
Donate to Me
More
I live in Maine, we don't even have "4g", let alone lte. I have not messed with my APN settings and data has been flawless for me. I get 3.5-4mb consistently at my house (3g) where I used t get anywhere from 500kb-2.5mb, with a rare spike of 3mb. I also have yet to try anything data wise on my phone that was "blocked" or didn't work.
The Following User Says Thank You to crawlgsx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2011, 01:34 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 38

468 posts
This temporary solve the problem. At&t is behind this. Take a look at your plan. From I'm seen the Unlimited plan I was grandfather in has restrictions impulse . The 2GB data plan said you could freely stream, search ect. Calling at&t wtf is this BS. Piss off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
9th November 2011, 02:07 PM   |  #5  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 102

941 posts
More
Data speeds vary so widely depending on 100's of factors. The "speedtest" apps themselves are barely reliable, you can run them 5 times in a row and get huge variations. You can't get true results based on one 5 second download. One time I get 10ms ping and 5 seconds later I get 9,500ms. One time I get .2Kbps and 5 seconds later I get 9MBps download.

Most of these speed test results and their fixes are just smoke and mirrors and the "results" are totally meaningless because they will vary from one SECOND to the next.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterEdF For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2011, 02:53 PM   |  #6  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 131

1,514 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxtra

This temporary solve the problem. At&t is behind this. Take a look at your plan. From I'm seen the Unlimited plan I was grandfather in has restrictions impulse . The 2GB data plan said you could freely stream, search ect. Calling at&t wtf is this BS. Piss off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Yep, it's probably to get you off the unlimited plan.

Just call AT&T and tell them what kind of bull**** is this, bitch for a long time, threaten to cancel your service and go to Verizon for an LTE network that's faster (lies) and spread out more, and I'm sure they'll come to some agreement.
9th November 2011, 05:17 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Jersey

425 posts
More
I am on an an unlimited plan i have had many phones that never had this issue and my data was consistant. I knew it had to do with the APN. FOR ME this worked. It seemed like my skyrocket was picky about websites and facebook did not want to refresh and the issue with the soeedtest.net app wasnt its accuracy it simply would not connect AT ALL. It just never found a connection. When i would use wifi everything worked perfect for me and still does. I did not delete the stock APN so when lte comes around ill just go back but for now im back to my normal CONSISTANT bandwidth. And im clocking faster speeds at my house than any other phone ive used

10th November 2011, 03:31 AM   |  #8  
Flag Madison, MS
Thanks Meter: 5

383 posts
More
I am on an LTE data plan but I don't have LTE in my area so I tried switching this too. I was unable to get MMS to work, although my MMS works fine on both the pta apn and the wap.cingular apn.
10th November 2011, 03:38 AM   |  #9  
Flag Los Angeles Area
Thanks Meter: 156

1,337 posts
More
to prove that it's "at&t conspiracy" to make grandfathered user to switch...

Anyone using the PTA APN with the 2GB "Unlimited" Plan have issues going to sites like.. say www.justin.tv?

I personally think the PTA APN is restricted and has NOTHING to do with which plan someone has.

Find someone with a 2GB Plan and ask them to use the PTA APN and see if they can get to ... www.justin.tv
10th November 2011, 03:53 AM   |  #10  
Flag Madison, MS
Thanks Meter: 5

383 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbze430

to prove that it's "at&t conspiracy" to make grandfathered user to switch...

Anyone using the PTA APN with the 2GB "Unlimited" Plan have issues going to sites like.. say www.justin.tv?

I personally think the PTA APN is restricted and has NOTHING to do with which plan someone has.

Find someone with a 2GB Plan and ask them to use the PTA APN and see if they can get to ... www.justin.tv

I tried it on mine, justin.tv wouldn't load on pta, phone, or wap.cingular apns. Then I switched back to pta, and it loaded.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread