Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Google Play Store Payments Available in China

Google has taken a big step to make its services accessible globally. Since the introduction of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

No need for 4g hot spot anymore, and it's not ad-hoc.....I think

OP bken620

9th November 2011, 01:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

52 posts
More
Currently I'm using wifi tether with an unrooted Toshiba thrive, non-ad-hoc mode. I know that someone else has already posted this on here, but I have found a way to use it without it setting itself up as ad-hoc, and I couldn't find the other post about it. I did not write this program so I take no credit for it.

0. Need to have root, and I'm currently in gingerbread
1. dl the latest beta (currently 6) of wifi tether from here http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
2. After you have done that you need to go into "settings", go to "change device profile" go down to "LG optimus s" and select that
3. Now go down to "change LAN" and select "192.168.1.0/24"
4. Enjoy the blazing speed of 4g on something other than you revo

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, I am rooted as well as having gingerbread, so this may be another caviat to it. But try it anyway, what's the worst that can happen. And if anyone else has any other settings that may help, please share

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bken620 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2011, 03:05 PM   |  #2  
Flag Mt. Juliet, TN
Thanks Meter: 1,120

1,150 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ya, DSpair in IRC had found this out a week or two ago, but all you have to do is select Optimus S as device and Softap under set up method. Worked perfect for my Galaxy Tab.

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to mtmichaelson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2011, 04:32 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

52 posts
More
That's awesome, sorry if what i put up was a repost, i just hadn't seen any info on this specifically.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk
10th November 2011, 02:50 AM   |  #4  
Flag Spokane Wa
Thanks Meter: 22

147 posts
Wow finally I got my phone to beacon infastructure! Thanks!
10th November 2011, 04:49 AM   |  #5  
Flag Salem, OR
Thanks Meter: 63

182 posts
Donate to Me
More
Unless I am not seeing it, I can't find a setting to disable 'n' mode. That mode tends to cause the connection to fluctuate from 6Mpbs to 65Mbps and basically loses connection just as the problem with the 4gHotSpot App.

Overall, great find. I tried that once before but couldn't get any of the profiles to work. Can't remember if "LG Optimus s" was on it at the time and maybe changed the network to 192.168.1.0 was the trick.

Connects and Windows will auto connect and it IS Infrastructure. Just hope I can find a way to disable 'n' mode so I can maintain a strong connection. When I went to 'g' only mode in HotSpot, I maintained a solid, no dropout connection rate. Sure, n at 65Mbps would be nice, but g works and is fast enough for tethering and what the standard tethering apps use (the 54Mbps speed)..

Thanks for the heads up and the post!

-Cybie

PS. The only part I don't like about the find is it de-motivates me to figure out the HotSpot app per my post/thread, lol. But, I can live with that!

EDIT: The speed I am referring to is the link speed with the Windows Task Manager/Networking tab. When the phone connects, it's 'LinkSpeed' is 65Mbps. When you access internet, or not always so, it will drop the Link Speed down to 6Mbps. If you try to use SpeedTest.Net or Speakeasy.net/speedtest, they will usually come to a halt on download testing near the end. That's the Wifi dropping out. With this and the 4gHotSpot, that will happen. But as soon as I changed the HotSpot to 'g' only connection (at 54Mbps Link Speed), it maintained and never dropped out.
Last edited by Cybie257; 10th November 2011 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Adding Information to clear up things.
10th November 2011, 07:58 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

52 posts
More
I've had absolutely no problems with fluctuation of service when it comes to internet as long as i have 3g or better service.

10th November 2011, 08:12 PM   |  #7  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 103

916 posts
Donate to Me
More
Interesting... I finally got it to work this way. Previously I had been using the standard ad-hoc method, and when I'd switch over my Nook Color couldn't obtain an IP address.

The apparent solution(s) was to put it in SoftAp (still would not get IP address), then forget the connection (left over from ad-hoc) and reconnect.

Seems to work like a charm now.
10th November 2011, 09:02 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

52 posts
More
I just leave it on auto, i wasn't really sure what each method was

10th November 2011, 09:10 PM   |  #9  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 103

916 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bken620

I just leave it on auto, i wasn't really sure what each method was

That's what I was doing, and it seemed to work fine, but leaving it on auto means it's ad-hoc. I guess some people have had issues with ad-hoc, hence the need for true infrastructure, but I personally have been able to get anything I want to connect to ad-hoc. Of course, I don't own a high end tab...
13th November 2011, 06:21 PM   |  #10  
Flag Salem, OR
Thanks Meter: 63

182 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpay

That's what I was doing, and it seemed to work fine, but leaving it on auto means it's ad-hoc. I guess some people have had issues with ad-hoc, hence the need for true infrastructure, but I personally have been able to get anything I want to connect to ad-hoc. Of course, I don't own a high end tab...

The one thing you can't get to connect to ad-hoc is another android device. At least none that I know of. It's an issue the Google is supposed to be working on. The other problem with ad-hoc, such as tethering Windows (mainly because Windows has the lamest networking abilities) is that it won't connect automatically. Windows will automatically sense Infrastructure and if you've selected to automatically connect, it will do so every time you switch on tethering. With ad-hoc, you don't have the auto connect ability within Windows. At least not without any 3rd party software/hacks that I'm not currently aware of.

-Cybie

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread