Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

28/3/2012[UPDATED][ROOT]Sensation XL permanent root method - V4 ADDED.

OP shingers5

10th November 2011, 08:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag liverpool
Thanks Meter: 3,093

7,507 posts
More
*** unlocking bootloader from HTCDEV site is highly recommended for a permanent root solution***
1. enable usb debugging from settings - applications - development
2. plug phone to pc via usb cable - charge only
3. open extracted zip folder and click runme. thats all. (if experience any daemon hanging problems pls install htc sync and plug in phone so drivers are installed. once done delete htc sync and repeat root procedure)
PC will open a cmd screen with prompts that you need to follow. app does rest
4. After root is complete pls visit market and update SU app. once done root will be fully functional and eliminate any future FCs
5. Also as an extra tip you can install SU UPDATE fixer from market to update your binaries to 3.0

ALL DONE
***************** this isnt my work and i take no credit for it. i tried it and the results were good so i am sharing it. period*****************

****please see anzhi thread for clockwork mod and chinese boot.img and rom needed prior to flashing cappy's rcmix3d rom. files needed are posted by me in his rom thread!****

Update:
Software version 1.24.709.2 doesn't seem to be rootable via this method. Please try flashing another ruu from runnymede rom thread then attempt root again

28/3/2012
Added V4 of the Doomlord Exploit as may be why XL was rooted without bootloader being unlocked.

well i relocked my bootloader and flashed ruu 1.05.404 then I used Doolord V4 to root my phone. This was succesful in permanently rooting my phone without unlocking my bootloader. This was not possible with V2 so if anyone wants to root without unlocking bootloader this is now possible using V4 of the Doomlord Exploit attached below. PLEASE NOTE THAT STILL NEED TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER TO FLASH CUSTOM ROMS AND RECOVERY
Last edited by shingers5; 28th March 2012 at 08:41 PM.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to shingers5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th November 2011, 08:36 PM   |  #2  
Flag liverpool

7,507 posts
More
Here is proof. Root explorer superuser permissions in SU app on my phone
Sent from my HTC Nexus One using xda premium

i uploaded pic via xda premium app so not sure why not showing
terminal app wont give full access nor does rom manager. temp root seems to unmount sd card which is remount after reboot but then root access is gone. some apps work perfectly with root permissions and others don't. guess thats why it a temp solution so at least some of our apps that need root acess will work. i am sure someone who is a bit smarter that i am will know how to adapt this to a fully working solution even if temporary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1320953770539.jpg
Views:	8749
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	778597  
Last edited by shingers5; 10th November 2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: pic
The Following User Says Thank You to shingers5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th November 2011, 09:57 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag At home
Thanks Meter: 7,496

8,693 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shingers5

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1340255

USED THIS METHOD FROM THE EVO 3D FORUM AND IT WORKED.
installed root explorer and granted SU permissions on my sensation xl

IT WORKS

Nice

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to capychimp For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th November 2011, 11:16 PM   |  #4  
Flag liverpool

7,507 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by capychimp

Nice

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

hey cappy the sulution seems to offer some level of control but apps like terminal says access denied but via adb access is granted. someone like you must be able to figure out how these evo3d root files can be amended to work fully on XL. i am also trying the sim unlock method on sensation forum but as root is not as deep as need the mmcblk0p6 files are not being accessed. permission denied
11th November 2011, 12:14 AM   |  #5  
Flag Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Thanks Meter: 274

1,219 posts
Donate to Me
More
ive just unlocked my bootloader with the HTCDEV site it worked wonderfully, now how do i go about custom recovery and permaroot

Last edited by nintendolinky; 11th November 2011 at 12:21 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nintendolinky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th November 2011, 12:23 AM   |  #6  
Flag liverpool

7,507 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendolinky

ive just unlocked my bootloader with the HTCDEV site it worked wonderfully, now how do i go about custom recovery and permaroot

how did you do it? apparently the sensation recovery should work with this phone
11th November 2011, 12:26 AM   |  #7  

1,219 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shingers5

how did you do it? apparently the sensation recovery should work with this phone

I just went through the steps and followed each one, they emailed me an unlock_code.bin and i entered fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin and the screen appeared asking if i wanted to unlock the bootloader. Can you point me in the right direction for the recovery please.
11th November 2011, 12:47 AM   |  #8  
Flag liverpool

7,507 posts
More
yea just did it now i am gonna carry on trying to unlock this phone with the instructions from sensation forum as they should work on this phone. flashing temp root again to get root access and see where it gets me lol

actually i will flash the sensation cwm recovery nd see what happens
11th November 2011, 12:55 AM   |  #9  

1,219 posts
Donate to Me
More
tried flashing the sensation recovery and got remote: image update error so not sure whats wrong, i now have a working superuser though by using the zerg exploit here Zerg Exploit v2
11th November 2011, 01:00 AM   |  #10  
Flag liverpool

7,507 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendolinky

tried flashing the sensation recovery and got remote: image update error so not sure whats wrong, i now have a working superuser though by using the zerg exploit here Zerg Exploit v2

already done that as my post in android dev forum. same thing. the root isnt a fully working option. try run terminal and type su and you get permission denied. aslo that method unmounts your internal sdcard and other apps like rom manager cant see it. have you tried the alpharev recovery image|? try the evo 3d recovery as the devices are quite similar

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread