Post Reply

[Q] Was told not to update

OP pastert33

11th November 2011, 12:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 268
 
1,722 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Hello everyone!

Just bought the photon yesterday and have a question about updating the software. I was told by the gentlemen not to update(On 45.2.5 now) because if I did I would not be able to use WIFI. Says that the update would break it. Has anyone ran into this? I've looked around and haven't really seen any mention of it.

Any help would be great!
11th November 2011, 12:58 PM   |  #2  
Lancerz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 241
 
1,018 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
More
This is the first time I'm hearing of this. Those store reps are clueless when it comes to phones lol. It won't break your wifi.
11th November 2011, 02:22 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 268
 
1,722 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerz

This is the first time I'm hearing of this. Those store reps are clueless when it comes to phones lol. It won't break your wifi.

I'm gonna go ahead and trust you BC your an Atlantan like me lol


Well I tried to update and it failed!
Last edited by pastert33; 11th November 2011 at 03:45 PM.
12th November 2011, 12:03 AM   |  #4  
KTT16's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hayward
Thanks Meter: 218
 
1,116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastert33

I'm gonna go ahead and trust you BC your an Atlantan like me lol


Well I tried to update and it failed!

1) What system version are you on?
2) What happened during the update?
3) Is your phone completely stock (you have not modded it in any way)?
4) If necessary, you can push the latest update via RSD Lite v5.5

Good luck!
K
12th November 2011, 04:15 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 268
 
1,722 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTT16

1) What system version are you on?
2) What happened during the update?
3) Is your phone completely stock (you have not modded it in any way)?
4) If necessary, you can push the latest update via RSD Lite v5.5

Good luck!
K


System version is 45.2.5
It rebooted and then said system update failed.
I did the one click root
Not sure how to do the update via RSD


Sent from my MB855 using XDA App
12th November 2011, 10:18 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 113
 
1,582 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1202666

You gotta use that for the latest update via RSD, rooting it won't get you updates. And whoever told you that updating would break your WIFI was a dolt. It actually fixes most of the WIFI issues people were having. I've attached the 5.5 version of RSD so you don't have to hunt it down. Just follow the instructions in the thread I linked above and you should be golden. :]
Attached Files
File Type: zip RSDLite5.5.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.38 MB, 11 views)
12th November 2011, 07:21 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 268
 
1,722 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTMFxOffshore

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1202666

You gotta use that for the latest update via RSD, rooting it won't get you updates. And whoever told you that updating would break your WIFI was a dolt. It actually fixes most of the WIFI issues people were having. I've attached the 5.5 version of RSD so you don't have to hunt it down. Just follow the instructions in the thread I linked above and you should be golden. :]


The problem I have is the step 6

6. Load up the SBF file you extracted from the MR download

What does that mean? Seems simple but don't remember extracting an SBF file
12th November 2011, 07:36 PM   |  #8  
KTT16's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hayward
Thanks Meter: 218
 
1,116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastert33

The problem I have is the step 6

6. Load up the SBF file you extracted from the MR download

What does that mean? Seems simple but don't remember extracting an SBF file

You need to extract the zip file you downloaded from the link xTMFx provided (contains the 198_7 SBF)...you open this SBF file in RSD Lite, connect your phone to the computer after putting it in RSD mode, and hit START.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTT16 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th November 2011, 07:40 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 268
 
1,722 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTT16

You need to extract the zip file you downloaded from the link xTMFx provided (contains the 198_7 SBF)...you open this SBF file in RSD Lite, connect your phone to the computer after putting it in RSD mode, and hit START.

Ahh I downloaded the deotexed one and not the original so I didn't see a sbf file. Downloading now, will report back


I put my phone in RSD mode, how do I get it outta the mode or is it ok for it the stay this way until the download is done?
Last edited by pastert33; 12th November 2011 at 07:43 PM.
12th November 2011, 07:45 PM   |  #10  
KTT16's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hayward
Thanks Meter: 218
 
1,116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastert33

Ahh I downloaded the deotexed one and not the original so I didn't see a sbf file. Downloading now, will report back


I put my phone in RSD mode, how do I get it outta the mode or is it ok for it the stay this way until the download is done?

Once RSD lite has done it's thing, the phone will reboot, or you will have to manually reboot (it's a soft brick, just pull the battery if necessary).

Best,
K

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes