Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,615 Members 45,902 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Throttled...solved!!!!

Tip us?

tpham08901
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Throttling was put in effect to limit us who are grandfathered into the unlimited plans. The only way to stop it is to switch to one of the tiered plans...which no one should do obviously.

jbsg02
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I think that 2GB limit is absurb for LTE users. You really could blow through that in a matter of days with regular use (or minutes if you really wanted to)

opencipher
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
I'm gonna call in and complain, though I'm not sure it will do much. I mean 6 gigs isn't anything. I've got 10 days left in this cycle so more than likely I will only use 3-4 more gigs. Plus I'm still within i'm time to cancel my contract. We'll see how this goes. One of my biggest gripes is that they gave me ONE DAY WARNING!!! I mean, ok I get it, but send me a text and then throttle me the next day.

F2a
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Wow, this is depressing. I don't want to switch from AT&T for the sole reason that I have unlimited data. I'm going to see what happens in the near future and maybe just say **** it and switch. No point in staying for unlimited if it isn't unlimited.

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1576

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2a View Post
Wow, this is depressing. I don't want to switch from AT&T for the sole reason that I have unlimited data. I'm going to see what happens in the near future and maybe just say **** it and switch. No point in staying for unlimited if it isn't unlimited.
Tmobile is "unlimited" but you still get throttled as well

so there's no point switching

no carriers will offer true unlimited now in days

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

F2a
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer View Post
Tmobile is "unlimited" but you still get throttled as well

so there's no point switching

no carriers will offer true unlimited now in days
I know, sad.

propsizzle
Old
Thanks Meter 13
if there is any benefit, throttling is better than reverting you to a tiered plan...

either way, it sucks. it is disappointing that wireless networks are getting so advanced that their speeds rival home connections... and yet, carriers hamstring us so we can barely take advantage of these speeds.

opencipher
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Ok..here is where it get even more F'd up. I called in..bitched and complained and they basically told me too bad. The first too people I talked to couldn't confirm I was actually being throttled. The last person they spoke to (told me they deal specifically with this situation) told me that yes I have been throttled and I could either choose a tiered plan and pay extra per gig or use wifi. I told them I was going to go to Verizon because they are doing 10gigs per month for 5..and they said, "I understand your frustation and am sorry" but wouldn't do anything to remove the throttle.

Mind you I average about 10 gigs a month when I was on my iphone 4...and NEVER received a text. Within 5 days of me getting the SKYROCKET and going on an LTE network I get these texts and am now throttled..but here is where it gets interesting.........

For the past few days I was having trouble accessing certain sites, the phone would often just clock. I would disable and reenable the data radio and I could some how get on them. I read on here about changing your APN to force HSPA and this would fix it...it did. But I wanted LTE and I left it alone. Today I get the whole tethering fiasco and speed test are showing 120k..all day on LTE...

Earlier today a friend of mine was having the same slow loading sites issues on their SII and I walked them through setting up the APN and while walking them through I put mine back on HSPA. About an hour ago, i'm in DC and do a speed test for the heck of it and BAM....7mbps. I'm like WTF!!! I notice that i'm not on LTE and remember that I left it on HSPA. I switch back to ATT APN and the LTE symbol comes back and BAM 120k. So either LTE in DC is jacked or they are only throttling me on LTE. Some straight shady stuff by ATT.

Kadin
Old
Thanks Meter 99
And people were questioning me on why I thought this phone would be more desirable for people that have Unlimited Data. Throttled or not, at least you can still go above and beyond 2GB and not spend a ton of cash. I only use about 250MB as it is and I'll never give up my unlimited - but something tells me AT&T has a plan to down the road.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 [Stock 4.2.2 rooted w/ CWM 6.0.4.4 (LOKi'D)]

davidusr
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadin View Post
- but something tells me AT&T has a plan to down the road.
I feel the same way. One way or another, they will get us out of our "unlimited" plan. In fact, I was really surprised they let us keep it, switching to LTE.