5,593,587 Members 38,106 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Could Samsung Galaxy R (i9103) have hidden NFC capability? Photo inside.

Tip us?

mrsaccess
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 86
Default Could Samsung Galaxy R (i9103) have hidden NFC capability? Photo inside.

According to the phone specs, it doesn't support NFC.
But there are two metal contacts in the back, near the battery, that connect to the back cover.
Removing the back cover doesn't seem to affect gsm, wifi, bluetooth or gps reception.

So I am wondering if it could be some hidden NFC support and whether there is a way to test it.

Photograph for your viewing pleasure.
Click image for larger version

Name:	i9103-back.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	779402
The Following User Says Thank You to mrsaccess For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashish04
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Doesn't seem...If there would be NFC support in the device, then Samsung would surely reveal that feature when the phone was launched..because it will directly increase their sales. But they didn't..no chance for NFC..
The Following User Says Thank You to ashish04 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rolfro65
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaccess View Post
According to the phone specs, it doesn't support NFC.
But there are two metal contacts in the back, near the battery, that connect to the back cover.
Removing the back cover doesn't seem to affect gsm, wifi, bluetooth or gps reception.

So I am wondering if it could be some hidden NFC support and whether there is a way to test it.

Photograph for your viewing pleasure.
Attachment 779402
Verkar inte vara så

Seems to NOT be the case....

List of NFC-Phones

Would be neat if there's a possibility to get it, some how....

mrsaccess
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 86
Yes, I know about the specs, but what about my photos? What could these metal contacts to the back cover be?

The kernel source (released from Samsung) hasn't any NFC driver related code apart from the chipset's support for NFC chips.
In the ROM there is firmware for the PN544 (the NFC chip of Nexus S) but libnfc.so is missing. I tried copying it just in case from a Nexus S 2.3.4 ROM but it didn't work of course.

Since some i9103s are supposed to be NFC enabled, I guess it may just be that part of the NFC hardware is there because differentiation in some parts would make for bigger manufacturing costs but some other parts (like the actual NFC chip) are missing.

I still hope though!

batmad
Old
(Last edited by batmad; 22nd November 2011 at 11:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish04 View Post
Doesn't seem...If there would be NFC support in the device, then Samsung would surely reveal that feature when the phone was launched..because it will directly increase their sales. But they didn't..no chance for NFC..
May be NFC not annonced cause it ICS feature, so it will be revealed later, when galaxy royal will be upgrated to ICS. For now they dont actually need to increase 9103 sales, they want to sell galaxy II as much as possible first. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsaccess View Post
I still hope though!
BTW, look at the bottom of the page in "Additional_Features".
The Following User Says Thank You to batmad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eldongal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
until now it seems to be so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish04 View Post

qavro
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Your metallic pins are used for inductive charging pads (usually stick inside back of the case or over the battery).
GT-i9300XXELLA / AR-HD
p.s. Do not hit my THANKS button, it will brick your phone.

anirudhnyg
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Default Re: Could Samsung Galaxy R (i9103) have hidden NFC capability? Photo inside.

^^^ is right... Galaxy s3 has it too... It's for wireless charging.... I think the methods to add wireless charging (using the palm pixie back cover) to s3 even works for this...

Sent from my One V
LG Optimus One -> HTC One V -> Nexus 5