Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Replacement screen?

Tip us?

flamingspaz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Unhappy [Q] Replacement screen?

Hi,

The LCD on my Archos 101 Gen8 is cracked. Is there a place I can get a replacement? I've searched the internet and the two places I found cost more than half the price of the tablet itself.

Thanks in advance.
I don't do silly, oversized sigs.

PotentChili
Old
(Last edited by PotentChili; 15th November 2011 at 07:04 AM.) Reason: Info about 20% discount.
Thanks Meter 4
Well, here's the unfortunate news. Replacing the screen might not be the only thing you have to do. The digitizer (the thing that lets the tablet know which part of the screen is being touched) could also be broken. My Archos 70it was dropped from a 2 story ledge and in no way was that covered under warranty. It cost me $187 to get Archos to fix the screen+digitizer. Although they didn't actually fix it, they just sent me a brand new completely sealed unit. Which I think was pretty nice of them.

The unfortunate truth with most technology like tablets is that individual parts are so ridiculously expensive. It's a supply and demand thing I'm sure.

I hope you can get this all worked out.

EDIT: Also, when they talked to me about replacement they said they could either fix it for $187, or give me 20% off anything (Gen 8 and below) in the Archos store. So that's another option if you maybe want to downgrade to a smaller/cheaper unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to PotentChili For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flamingspaz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentChili View Post
Well, here's the unfortunate news. Replacing the screen might not be the only thing you have to do. The digitizer (the thing that lets the tablet know which part of the screen is being touched) could also be broken. My Archos 70it was dropped from a 2 story ledge and in no way was that covered under warranty. It cost me $187 to get Archos to fix the screen+digitizer. Although they didn't actually fix it, they just sent me a brand new completely sealed unit. Which I think was pretty nice of them.

The unfortunate truth with most technology like tablets is that individual parts are so ridiculously expensive. It's a supply and demand thing I'm sure.

I hope you can get this all worked out.

EDIT: Also, when they talked to me about replacement they said they could either fix it for $187, or give me 20% off anything (Gen 8 and below) in the Archos store. So that's another option if you maybe want to downgrade to a smaller/cheaper unit.
Thanks for the info. The digitizer is intact, it's the actual LCD that's cracked. I only use the tablet for web browsing, so I could downgrade in terms of specs, but not screen size.

Again, thanks.

Set_The_Tone
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingspaz View Post
Hi,

The LCD on my Archos 101 Gen8 is cracked. Is there a place I can get a replacement? I've searched the internet and the two places I found cost more than half the price of the tablet itself.

Thanks in advance.
Just found this for sale in the UK for under 52

http://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/l...dProduct=14341
The Following User Says Thank You to Set_The_Tone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Magikarp
Old
Thanks Meter 6
With Archos, it is ridiculously hard to find replacement items. If you find a solution, possibly post it here? Not for me, but I'm sure many people would like to know how to solve it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Magikarp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dav007
Old
Thanks Meter 1
hi there i have a brand new sceen for the archos 101 for sale if you wont it dose not came with the digitizer

37 inc P&P
The Following User Says Thank You to dav007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flamingspaz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Set_The_Tone View Post
Just found this for sale in the UK for under 52

http://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/l...dProduct=14341
They have 30-pin and 40-pin variants and I'm not sure which one fits the Gen8. Emailing them was useless as the only model no. of the back of the screen they have no idea about.

flamingspaz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav007 View Post
hi there i have a brand new sceen for the archos 101 for sale if you wont it dose not came with the digitizer

37 inc P&P
PM'ed I'd be interested in this.

dav007
Old
Thanks Meter 1
PM'ed you back

kostas1987
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav007 View Post
PM'ed you back
i have an archos 70 internet tablet and the wire that connects the two wires comes out of the screen and the main board was broken is there anyone that have a replacement part to buy .please help thanks...

Tags
101, archos, gen8, replacement, screen