Search This thread

Xaddict

May 15, 2009
Sydney

Xaddict

May 15, 2009
Sydney
Thanks for this thread. I have had the Galaxy Note for a few days now and:
- the screen is excellent, and at the end of the day, I do not worry much about the technology used. At my age, I have presbyopia, and I can read easily on the Note without reading glasses and without straining my eyes. This for me is the most valid test;

I hear you!
I too have Oldtimers disease and I don't have to squint to read on this screen.

amuneer

Dec 26, 2005
Hi,
Here is my 2 cents worth as a Galaxy Note user since end October. The phone is definitely NOT too big. I keep it in the front pocket of my skinny jeans and can just about sit comfortably with it. Holding it next to your ear again does not look out of place. I have used it in public transport a lot and mostly people who notice it will be trying to find out which make/model it is. I think the whole hype of it being too big will soon go away as this is a very usable format. First few days I did find the phone a touch too wide while holding it in one hand, but I have got used to it quickly.

I have been using it on Orange UK and the call quality is just as good as my galaxy s II. I have not had any problems with it. I am using the KJ4 rom, baseband and kernel. The data connection is more stable than my galaxy s II as that did have the occasional data connectivity problem. The only small issue I have is sometimes there is a 2 seconds lag when opening certain applications if they are not running in the system memory. It is noticeable on opening the Gmail app on my note.

A lot of the homescreen replacement apps and lockscreens will not run too happy on the note and may cause it to lag (I tried Agile Lock). You best stick with TWLauncher and the default lockscreen. I installed 120 apps on my phone and was messing about with themes etc for about 2 weeks and found it started to slow down. So I took a titanium backup and did a factory reset followed by a titanium backup restore. It it is snappier again now.

The screen does look more solid than my sII. It doesn't look very prone to scratches but that's just my feeling.

So in conclusion, I would say the only thing I would want to change on my note is a better ROM which takes care of the small lag issues. But it is a minor issue. If you like to text/email a lot like me, you will find this device answer to all your prayers. I am saving a lot of time every day as my business involves me to reply to emails on the move. There is one more downside, you will not be able to go back to a smaller phone :)

loonsy

Jul 30, 2007
Singapore
There seem to be many myths about the Galaxy Note across the internet.
This thread is dedicated to debunked myths, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel when we discover that the Note doesn't have Gorilla Glass or such concerns.

Perhaps the one that amuses / annoys me the most is that the Note was designed specifically for women, as it fits nicely in a purse, but is too big to put in a pocket.

Others,
It's too big to fit in your pocket.
People will think you're a fool holding such a big phone to your ear.
The screen isn't gorilla Glass, (it's only alkali aluminosilicate).
The Pentile screen is inferior(even though it looks gorgeous).
There are masses of Notes with defective screens.
Call quality is poor on all Note phones.

A lot of these myths arise on phone review sites.
I say, hold on before making judgements about the note based on dodgy info.

1 & 2. Reminisence the days of windows mobile and the HTC Universal. I don't remember people saying that this was silly to put next to your ear or big to carry around???

HTC Universal: 127.7 x 81 x 25 mm, 3.6" 640*480 qvga, 285g
Samsung Galaxy Note: 146.9 x 83 x 9.7 mm, 5.3" 1280*800 wxga, 178g

3. It's supposed to either be gorilla glass or some variant of fortified glass. I have a Desire HD with no gorilla glass, screen is intact dropped many times, for scratch resistance just add screen protector, so to me no big deal.

4. Played with the note at a Samsung store, Screen is fantastic, see no defects that plagued the old amoled's.

5. Don't own a Note yet, so can't comment on that, will be getting on this weeked when it arrives locally on contract, so will update if I see any defects.

6. Same as point 5.

Attachments

• qtek9000.jpg
    qtek9000.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 318
  • samsung-galaxy-note.jpg
    samsung-galaxy-note.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Xaddict

May 15, 2009
Sydney
Myth 2 Banding on the screen due to low quality

if you see banding on your screen, the image you are looking at has low bit depth, 16bit or less.
This is not due to properties of the screen.
To see the difference between 16bit(thousands of colours) and 24bit(millions of colours),
view this image in the Android browser to see banding.

Now download the image and view it or view the webpage in Dolphin Browser HD.
You will see no banding in the gradient, only a smooth change from black to white, a sign that your device is truly 24bit(Millions of colours)

Attachments

• gradient-h.jpg
    gradient-h.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

ajulien

Sep 26, 2008
Here are my $0.02

It's too big to fit in your pocket: Not really. On most of my shirts, the camera sticks out of the pocket, but nothing really bad. And it fits perfectly on my trousers' pockets. Sadly, it's really not viable to hang it off your belt, but pockets are OK. I can sit perfectly. In fact, my wallet is more unconfortable than the GNote.

People will think you're a fool holding such a big phone to your ear: well, it depends: do you feel like a fool using a normal (landline) phone? Because its headset is larger than the GNote. In fact, many have approached me not to make fun of me, but to say "wow! what phone is that? it's awesome!"

The Pentile screen is inferior(even though it looks gorgeous): Before, I had a SGS2, and I really can't complain. In fact, the size of the screen is the main feature of the phone, and I find the resolution and performance just great. I don't feel dissapointed from my previous phone.

There are masses of Notes with defective screens: Not mine ;)

Call quality is poor on all Note phones: No. I find it equivalent to my SGS2, and in fact, people tell me they hear me better now (even though SGS2 was OK). Specifically, when I was driving with the phone on its cradle at the dashboard, I had to talk louder with the SGS2 than with the GNote. Noise cancellation seems to work just right.

Banding shows on the screen(for every image): Not to me

A lot of the homescreen replacement apps and lockscreens will not run too happy on the note and may cause it to lag (I tried Agile Lock). You best stick with TWLauncher and the default lockscreen. I installed 120 apps on my phone and was messing about with themes etc for about 2 weeks and found it started to slow down. So I took a titanium backup and did a factory reset followed by a titanium backup restore. It it is snappier again now.

I had a similar experience. My guess is that many homescreen replacements don't know how to scale to the GNote's resolution correctly. I used to use GO, but it really slowed it down. I just discovered Nemo Launcher, and I can go up to an awesome 6x6 with no visible impact on performance. It has less features than GO, but the important ones (to me) are there. Two weeks already with it, and liking it. Widget Locker seemed to work fine formerly, though I haven't reinstalled it now that I'm using Nemo.

Though I haven't done a strict A/B comparison, I find the camera equivalent to that of the SGS2.

Audio is quiet, yes. Get Voodoo LOUDER. Be happy!

I am having some audio issues:
  • PowerAmp freezes. Sometimes it just pauses, sometimes it crashes with no FC notice
  • On my SGS2 I could use SqueezePlayer and SqueezeCommander with no problems. Now, when I do something on SqueezeComander (say, navigate the library) I get sound hiccups.
  • Sometimes, doing anything would also cause hiccups while PowerAmp is playing
Maybe this is a software issue, I don't know. Has anyone had something like this?

panyan

Oct 4, 2010
XDA Forums
as someone that owns and uses a prosumer dslr, ill tell you that the camera on the note is FANTASTIC (for a phone)

The macro mode focuses very fast and with incredible detail - it really is incredible :D

jeriz

Aug 28, 2010
isn't the camera on the note and the s2 exactly the same? when comparing the two isn't it just manufacturing variations we compare?

and if someone still has an opinion on the gorilla glass be it pro or con just do the rest of us a favor and take it to your grave cuz i don't think anyone is helped by igniting that old flame...

<<Agree with me when im talking to you !!!>>

martcerv

Sep 21, 2010
The biggest myth is that it's too big and you'll look like a tool making calls on it.

I got used to the size immediately. If anything, it made my regular 3.5" and 4" smartphones look silly with their eeny weeny screens.

Width wise its narrower then a standard wallet just a couple centimeters taller and also thinner then any wallet. If it doesnt fit in your pants your probably wearing ladies pants so you most likely carry a handbag or your one of those strange guys with a so called manbag ;-) to fit the phone into.

Its a great phone for many like me that wanted a tablet but didnt want to lug it around all day get to use a mini tablet, chuck paranoidandroid on it adjust dpi to suit and you have a very fast portable tab.

Its not for everyone and thats why theres 100s of other form factors available to cater for everyone or 4 small screen pos devices by Apple for those that hate being a little different lol.

I will never go back to a smaller device but I wouldnt go for anything much larger, a bigger screen in the same body size and possibly thicker for a bigger battery would do me great next time.

Most of the other myths are software issues with samsung official roms, most samsung roms have always been pretty crappy but change to custom and you will love it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    Here is my 2 cents worth as a Galaxy Note user since end October. The phone is definitely NOT too big. I keep it in the front pocket of my skinny jeans and can just about sit comfortably with it. Holding it next to your ear again does not look out of place. I have used it in public transport a lot and mostly people who notice it will be trying to find out which make/model it is. I think the whole hype of it being too big will soon go away as this is a very usable format. First few days I did find the phone a touch too wide while holding it in one hand, but I have got used to it quickly.

I have been using it on Orange UK and the call quality is just as good as my galaxy s II. I have not had any problems with it. I am using the KJ4 rom, baseband and kernel. The data connection is more stable than my galaxy s II as that did have the occasional data connectivity problem. The only small issue I have is sometimes there is a 2 seconds lag when opening certain applications if they are not running in the system memory. It is noticeable on opening the Gmail app on my note.

The screen does look more solid than my sII. It doesn't look very prone to scratches but that's just my feeling.

So in conclusion, I would say the only thing I would want to change on my note is a better ROM which takes care of the small lag issues. But it is a minor issue. If you like to text/email a lot like me, you will find this device answer to all your prayers. I am saving a lot of time every day as my business involves me to reply to emails on the move. There is one more downside, you will not be able to go back to a smaller phone :)
    There seem to be many myths about the Galaxy Note across the internet.
    This thread is dedicated to debunked myths, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel when we discover that the Note doesn't have Gorilla Glass or such concerns.

Perhaps the one that amuses / annoys me the most is that the Note was designed specifically for women, as it fits nicely in a purse, but is too big to put in a pocket.

Others,
    It's too big to fit in your pocket.
    People will think you're a fool holding such a big phone to your ear.
    The screen isn't gorilla Glass, (it's only alkali aluminosilicate).
    The Pentile screen is inferior(even though it looks gorgeous).
    There are masses of Notes with defective screens.
    Call quality is poor on all Note phones.
    Banding shows on the screen(for every image).
    Can anyone contact corning and confirm if the note using gorilla? Almost all reviews I read swear its gorilla but Samsung website doesn't mention it... they didn't mention it for the s2 as well the only source is the corning website but the list is not updated.

I did mail corning about this and all they replied was this:

Corning® Gorilla® Glass is featured on hundreds of the world’s coolest smart phones, tablets, and PCs and now the new Sony Bravia TV.

Because of our agreements with customers, we cannot identify all the devices that feature Corning® Gorilla® Glass, so we encourage you to contact the manufacturer of your device. If you would like to know which devices do use Gorilla Glass or learn more about our exciting new product, you can visit our website at www.CorningGorillaGlass.com.

Thank you for your interest in Corning® Gorilla® Glass.

Regards,
    Matt

Sent from my GT-I5801 using XDA App
    I've read in one of those reviews (don't remember which one), that camera is average in photo and video, and worst than Galaxy S II. Can somebody tell me if is that true?
    (another myth to break!)
    Thanks!

Yes, definitely a myth that the camera is average.
    They are the same camera as in the GSII I believe.
    This is a favourable and accurate review:
    Top-notch 8MP camera with FullHD video capture
    Call quality is poor.

i'll confirm the poor call quality for my galaxy note, probably more to do with software than hardware

my problem is the other person i talk to can barely hear what i'm saying, i've tested it with fring to record my own voice and confirm that i can barely hear the recording

i've upgrade to 2.3.6, the call quality is a bit better but still pretty crap, unlike the galaxy s2, the galaxy note's audio can not be configured with * # * # 197328640 #*#*

so it's not all myths