HTC Evo 3D and Sensation Battery Working in Desire HD!

Search This thread

sbryan12144

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 10, 2010
Columbus
I've been looking for a extended battery for my HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD) and I just got my HTC Sensation with an Anker 1900mAh battery. Turns out if you remove the battery door for the Desire HD, YOU CAN USE HTC SENSATION AND EVO 3D BATTERIES IN YOU DESIRE HD!

The only problem is that the battery door won't fit back on, so you'll need to break the Desire HD's battery door for the WiFi to work. When you put a case on it, nothing is noticeable.

I'll post pictures soon to prove it's worth.

I'm using my 1900mAh Anker bettery in it right now ;)

Here's what needs to be done to Desire HD battery door:

213r9tv.jpg

Then after that's been done, put it back on the phone showed here:

14l7jvc.jpg

Now put on a case (any will do) and now you have an Evo 3D or Sensation battery working in your Desire HD!! :)

j9ngjq.jpg

If you want a new battery door, they are only $5.40 so mod away ;)

Here's a link to the replacement door: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Back-Ba...ccessories&hash=item2a144fc023#ht_3765wt_1163

Last edited:

quatje

May 25, 2011
I would like to see that because the battery life of nu phone drives me crazy

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA App

TwaggyDHD

Sep 27, 2011
I agree, is there a way to keep the door? Maybe a special door that is made a lil different?

sent from my DHD Android Revolution

Dr. lele

Nov 4, 2010
Moto G
Xiaomi Poco F1
It would be a great help if the OP would post some more pics of the battery in the slot in some different angles.

And of how much the batt.-door doesn't fit and so on :)

Thanks in advance ;)

major fecker

May 9, 2011
sensation battery in DHD

Nice post sbryan, just a couple of things. Is that Anker battery a confirmed 1900mah? coz there are lots of replacement batteries claiming larger capacity. And has it effected ur WiFi reception at all? i.e: can u still get solid WiFi with no dropouts? coz I thought the battery door itself was the WiFi antenna. Think I'd be prepared to lose a little reception for an extra 670mah tho, that would be a massive improvement. cheers.

angelus249

Jun 28, 2010
Why's it necessary to break it in 2 parts? The second image implies that the new battery is just a little bit longer. Wouldn't it be just enough to remove the "innards" of the battery door and put it back on?

And as I am no friend of rubber between me and my object of desire :D I'd rather go for an translucent duct tape approach in order to keep the batt door properly closed.

Thx for the inspiration!

Drakknar

Jul 22, 2004
Berlin
I bought an Anker 1900 mAh Sensation battery and a new battery cover to try this solution.
If this work, overclocking the CPU at 1.4GHz / 1.6GHz will make our DHD a top performer... As soon as I will get all the parts I'll try to remove the inner parts of the battery door and I'll let you know :)

Reactions: Dr. lele and zorlin

bryanlim05

Mar 23, 2009
Sydney NSW
Why's it necessary to break it in 2 parts? The second image implies that the new battery is just a little bit longer. Wouldn't it be just enough to remove the "innards" of the battery door and put it back on?

Thx for the inspiration!

I was also thinking the same thing. I have a sensation and have an ankler battery for that so I'm going to try using the stock battery. Just waiting on a new door cover so I can mutilate that

Reactions: Dr. lele

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
There are a few problems with this mod.

1. You'd Basically killed 3/4 of the wifi antennae, regardless of what you may think, you're killing the sensitivity of reception, and now probably using more 'juice' to maintain the integrity of the connection.
2. The part that you've broken/cut off is what held the battery firmly against the 4 power contacts. A nice jolt could 'shut off' your device and may cause data corruption (its possible).

knarfl1

Jul 1, 2010
There are a few problems with this mod.

1. You'd Basically killed 3/4 of the wifi antennae, regardless of what you may think, you're killing the sensitivity of reception, and now probably using more 'juice' to maintain the integrity of the connection.
2. The part that you've broken/cut off is what held the battery firmly against the 4 power contacts. A nice jolt could 'shut off' your device and may cause data corruption (its possible).

1.?? The wifi antenna is the top bit of the battery cover, which OP put back on the phone.

2. Thus the piece of tape (clear shipping variety) to help hold it in place. BTW, I've probably pulled the battery a hundred times without ill effects.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

I was also thinking the same thing. I have a sensation and have an ankler battery for that so I'm going to try using the stock battery. Just waiting on a new door cover so I can mutilate that

Because the small bit contains the Wifi antenna.

Reactions: Dr. lele

knarfl1

Jul 1, 2010

Gotcha. Now I see it. Didn't realize the antenna extends across the battery cover. Thanks for the clarification.

Hmm, I'm thinking I can make an antenna using aluminum foil. :)

I received my Evo 3D battery today and it does indeed fit and works great. Fit is bit tight since the Evo 3D battery is a bit thicker (which actually works since the battery won't be moving around at all.) My TPU case fits but because of the longer battery (which pushes against the case), it doesn't sit perfectly. Nothing too noticeable and certainly liveable.

We'll see how the OEM HTC 1750mAh battery does vs. stock 1230mAh.

Last edited:

knarfl1

Jul 1, 2010
Ok, I've had the Evo 3D battery running last few hours and here are some observations:

- No problem charging the battery to full AFAICT (reset the batt stats just for kicks.)
- the aluminum foil as the DIY wifi antenna seems to be working fine. I laid down a 2" strip along the battery and unto the contact points, securing it with the cut piece of the battery cover.
- Before the mod I got 1 bar at the far end of my house. AFAICT same after the mod with aluminum strip. Good enough for me.
- I sanded down a strip (of ditch) on the inside of my TPU case where the bigger battery's edge was touching. Now the case sits just like stock.
- Call HTC customer support and tell them you need a replacement battery door. If your phone is under warranty period, you'll get one for FREE.

Finally a battery solution that gives me 42% more battery while keeping the same form factor. Thanks OP.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been looking for a extended battery for my HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD) and I just got my HTC Sensation with an Anker 1900mAh battery. Turns out if you remove the battery door for the Desire HD, YOU CAN USE HTC SENSATION AND EVO 3D BATTERIES IN YOU DESIRE HD!

The only problem is that the battery door won't fit back on, so you'll need to break the Desire HD's battery door for the WiFi to work. When you put a case on it, nothing is noticeable.

I'll post pictures soon to prove it's worth.

I'm using my 1900mAh Anker bettery in it right now ;)

Here's what needs to be done to Desire HD battery door:

213r9tv.jpg

Then after that's been done, put it back on the phone showed here:

14l7jvc.jpg

Now put on a case (any will do) and now you have an Evo 3D or Sensation battery working in your Desire HD!! :)

j9ngjq.jpg

If you want a new battery door, they are only $5.40 so mod away ;)

Here's a link to the replacement door: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Back-Ba...ccessories&hash=item2a144fc023#ht_3765wt_1163
    Here are the pictures:
    http :// imgur.com /a/GPoYQ

First Picture:
    This is what it looks like now. I forgot to take a picture to show you how much the battery stands out, but i guess it's obvious that i didn't cut out that big piece if i didn't have to.
    And no way i'm sanding down the battery. I want to use the phone, not let it spontaneously catch fire.
    But you can't tell it's like that when the otterbox is covering it.

Second Picture:
    That's my antenna so far. 2.4GHz has a wavelength of around 12cm. Since that doesn't fit, i used a 6cm aluminium foil stripe. It's not as good as the stock antenna but i'm getting wifi at home and at work so who cares?

Third Picture:
    You can see that there isn't any room between the battery and the unibody. But i marked the spot on the left where you can stick a whole toothpick. I guess Mugen isn't wrong to say that you CAN fit 1500mAh in there and still use the stock battery cover.

Fourth and Fifth Picture:
    View from above and closeup of the modified battery cover (i used a replacement..the original is still intact).
    I marked the spots where those little pins from the cover go. That's exactly what i needed to ensure that the battery can't come out.

And yes, i accidentally cut off the middle pin on the battery cover :( ....still works :)

next stop:
    http://power-skin.com/battery-cases/ap1508des/htc-desire-inspire.html
    powerskin for awesome 3400mAh! (1900 + 1500)
    That'd give you a freakin' 4.4 days of standby time....getting close to a week....
    I bought an Anker 1900 mAh Sensation battery and a new battery cover to try this solution.
    If this work, overclocking the CPU at 1.4GHz / 1.6GHz will make our DHD a top performer... As soon as I will get all the parts I'll try to remove the inner parts of the battery door and I'll let you know :)
    1.?? The wifi antenna is the top bit of the battery cover, which OP put back on the phone.

9102650.jpg
    Ok, I've had the Evo 3D battery running last few hours and here are some observations:

- No problem charging the battery to full AFAICT (reset the batt stats just for kicks.)
    - the aluminum foil as the DIY wifi antenna seems to be working fine. I laid down a 2" strip along the battery and unto the contact points, securing it with the cut piece of the battery cover.
    - Before the mod I got 1 bar at the far end of my house. AFAICT same after the mod with aluminum strip. Good enough for me.
    - I sanded down a strip (of ditch) on the inside of my TPU case where the bigger battery's edge was touching. Now the case sits just like stock.
    - Call HTC customer support and tell them you need a replacement battery door. If your phone is under warranty period, you'll get one for FREE.

Finally a battery solution that gives me 42% more battery while keeping the same form factor. Thanks OP.