Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 54,534 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ICS 4.0 Sources Out - All discussions here!

Tip us?
 
LarsPT
Old
(Last edited by LarsPT; 27th March 2012 at 04:49 PM.)
#1421  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 458
Posts: 1,062
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On The Run
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksolanki View Post
Hi larma, perhaps LarsPT can check the weather, or send an email, or send a WhatsApp message to a friend for free on his HD camcorder? No? I didn't think so.

Any idiot can buy a HD camcorder, but it doesn't mean you are Martin Scorsese. Give our phone to Mr. Scorsese, and I guarantee he will make a better movie than LarsPT and his HD camcorder.

Just a thought. Anil
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make a movie with the wonderful photography of his latest movie 'Hugo' though! This is where you fail to understand that even if two different devices (an HD camcorder and a mobile phone for example) can record at the same resolution (1080p for example) this doesn't mean, not even close, that they will have the same picture quality.

And buddy, I can check the weather, send an email and send a WhatsApp message just fine with my Tegra device, without the HD recording

And I can still record videos with the same crappy quality, HD or not, with it. If I really want image quality, I use a proper device for it.

The difference between the "idiot" that buys the HD camcorder is that he can see past the marketing BS. He understands that megapixels aren't everything. He understands that an 8 Megapixel camera in a phone is nowhere near an 8 Megapixel Canon SLR, for example.
LG Optimus 2X P990: CWM: v6.0.2.5 ROM: CM10.1 T-build 05 Kernel: Kowalski exp 126 BB: V20s
LG (Google) Nexus 4: Recovery: Multi TWRP ROM: Pure Speed X v3.0.9 Kernel: PSK Radio: .33/.84

Pressing the thanks button is free! Why not use it when someone posts something that helps you?
 
larma
Old
(Last edited by larma; 27th March 2012 at 08:42 PM.)
#1422  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 18
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsPT View Post
Exactly! So what is the point?

It was said that O2X buyers don't have HD recording because of nVidia. Well, whatever you say no mobile phone has HD recording, if you ask me. What's the point of having a resolution of 1080p if the quality of the pixels are utter crap? I'd rather have 480p with acceptable quality than the 1080p of a mobile phone, so that argument is completely not valid for me.

So what's the point?

Non-nVidia phones are better because they have HD recording? Puleez... If you want to make an HD video don't use your mobile phone period, get a proper camera. Unless having a video with a lot of horrible quality pixels floats your boat...
I thought the point was pretty obvious. You take your mobile everywhere. If it's supposed to have "HD recording", then the feature should work. It's that simple and I can't understand how anyone can refute that. I don't care if it doesn't hold up to camcorders, it's not supposed to. It's just supposed to work when I see something I want to capture.
The Following User Says Thank You to larma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
LarsPT
Old
(Last edited by LarsPT; 27th March 2012 at 10:33 PM.)
#1423  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 458
Posts: 1,062
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On The Run
Quote:
Originally Posted by larma View Post
I thought the point was pretty obvious. You take your mobile everywhere. If it's supposed to have "HD recording", then the feature should work. It's that simple and I can't understand how anyone can refute that. I don't care if it doesn't hold up to camcorders, it's not supposed to. It's just supposed to work when I see something I want to capture.
Very well larma. With what you say I can agree. However, when you buy an O2X everything that it's supposed to work with the stock ROM works as advertised. Well, at least for my case it did. Nevermind people who got a faulty equipment.

Now, when you flash a custom ROM, you are aware things might be broken. It's your problem, it's not nVidia's problem. Our friend Anil here seems to believe that it is. And for that reason, he also states that nVidia sucks.

He gave no explanation whatsoever as to why he has that opinion, but since we are talking about ICS not having hardware acceleration in our device because it is Tegra powered, I'm thinking it is because they don't release their code. Hence I jokingly said that, in that case, apple must suck as bad, as everything in apple is proprietary.

Mister Anil went on to defend apple products, or so it seemed, by saying everything works as expected (as in my LG stock product) and people are not expecting for updates or whatever (as I was not in my stock O2X, since everything worked as expected).

So I end up still not getting the point.

Yes, a lot of people still are flashing ICS on their O2X's, even though they lose HD recording. Why? Because HD recording was probably not there to begin with. For you HD recording might be making a video with a very crappy 1080p resolution, but for those people that knowingly accept this compromise HD recording might be something that is not something they do with their mobile phone, so they have nothing to lose.
LG Optimus 2X P990: CWM: v6.0.2.5 ROM: CM10.1 T-build 05 Kernel: Kowalski exp 126 BB: V20s
LG (Google) Nexus 4: Recovery: Multi TWRP ROM: Pure Speed X v3.0.9 Kernel: PSK Radio: .33/.84

Pressing the thanks button is free! Why not use it when someone posts something that helps you?
 
eniux
Old
#1424  
eniux's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 256
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Enschede
my LG stock product wouldnt turn on so I flashed cyanogenmod.

Verstuurd van mijn LG-P990 met Tapatalk
 
Scougar
Old
#1425  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 62
Posts: 602
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Plymouth/USA
lars/larma> You also have to consider that what is important to you, isn't what is important for everyone. If anil wants the HD recording, it would be great to have it, it's a major feature of the phone regardless of whether you guys consider it crap or not. His annoyance is just misdirected, give him some grace in that respect.

Now, back on topic eh? ;)
At some point as a professional developer I'm actually going to try writing something/working with/for Android... so far.. I've managed Hello World LOL.
Huawei Y300 budget wonder phone.
HTC EVO 3D - Gone to a watery grave (Awesome phone).
LG Optimus 2x P990: SOLD
The Following User Says Thank You to Scougar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
LarsPT
Old
(Last edited by LarsPT; 28th March 2012 at 09:04 AM.)
#1426  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 458
Posts: 1,062
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: On The Run
Absolutely Scougar!

And we are more or less hovering around topic, since HD recording is one of the (or pretty much the only one?) features that are broken in the ports of ICS on our phone so far.

Let's remember how this started again. Our friend user Optimus-ICS said, shortly, that his phone had never been greater than now [with ICS], he was really impressed with ICS, once every [android] phone had ICS the iPhone wouldn't stand a chance.

To this Mister Anil replied, in a bit of a rude manner if you ask me, "LMAO. Really? Do you really believe your own comment?"

Well, I, for one, believe it. I think Google has done a great job with ICS, it's an amazing operative system and I believe everyone should be looking forward to it.

And Mister Anil went on to defend apple by saying "At least iOS users aren't wondering if and when the next update comes, whether or not whey will get it for their device."

Of course they aren't... because apple has ceased inovating on that. The difference from iPhone 3 to the 4th generation was basically hardware, the software changes were mere marketing stunts and pretty much offensive to the savvy user (Facetime?! Really??)

So, in the end, for me the point here is that ICS really is an impressive achievement by Google. I am really glad we are already getting a glimpse of it in our O2X's. Unfortunately because of nVidia's policy we still have some broken features but for some these broken features aren't important and they're already enjoying ICS.
LG Optimus 2X P990: CWM: v6.0.2.5 ROM: CM10.1 T-build 05 Kernel: Kowalski exp 126 BB: V20s
LG (Google) Nexus 4: Recovery: Multi TWRP ROM: Pure Speed X v3.0.9 Kernel: PSK Radio: .33/.84

Pressing the thanks button is free! Why not use it when someone posts something that helps you?
The Following User Says Thank You to LarsPT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
larma
Old
#1427  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 18
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsPT View Post
So, in the end, for me the point here is that ICS really is an impressive achievement by Google. I am really glad we are already getting a glimpse of it in our O2X's. Unfortunately because of nVidia's policy we still have some broken features but for some these broken features aren't important and they're already enjoying ICS.
Agreed 100 %. I was using ICS for a while and it is far superior if not for those few broken features which is why I had to go back to GB. Sure it would be nice to be able to use ICS now but it's like they say, good things come to those who wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to larma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Optimus-ICS
Old
#1428  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mölndal
What is the reason for the video recording not working?! Is it something with nVidia?
 
slebit
Old
#1429  
slebit's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 632
Posts: 1,845
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus-ICS View Post
What is the reason for the video recording not working?! Is it something with nVidia?
Jepp, nvidia hasn't release the necessary source code.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk
Phone: LG G2

Tablet: LG G Pad 8.3
The Following User Says Thank You to slebit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
aksolanki
Old
#1430  
aksolanki's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 211
Posts: 436
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lugo, Italy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larma View Post
That's not really the point though and the same argument could be made for GPS, music player and pretty much every other feature that doesn't include texting or calling. I'm sure you don't take your camcorder everywhere. I'm not a big camcorder guy but I would like to have the opportunity to use it when I need to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsPT View Post
Absolutely Scougar!

And we are more or less hovering around topic, since HD recording is one of the (or pretty much the only one?) features that are broken in the ports of ICS on our phone so far.

Let's remember how this started again. Our friend user Optimus-ICS said, shortly, that his phone had never been greater than now [with ICS], he was really impressed with ICS, once every [android] phone had ICS the iPhone wouldn't stand a chance.

To this Mister Anil replied, in a bit of a rude manner if you ask me, "LMAO. Really? Do you really believe your own comment?"

Well, I, for one, believe it. I think Google has done a great job with ICS, it's an amazing operative system and I believe everyone should be looking forward to it.

And Mister Anil went on to defend apple by saying "At least iOS users aren't wondering if and when the next update comes, whether or not whey will get it for their device."

Of course they aren't... because apple has ceased inovating on that. The difference from iPhone 3 to the 4th generation was basically hardware, the software changes were mere marketing stunts and pretty much offensive to the savvy user (Facetime?! Really??)

So, in the end, for me the point here is that ICS really is an impressive achievement by Google. I am really glad we are already getting a glimpse of it in our O2X's. Unfortunately because of nVidia's policy we still have some broken features but for some these broken features aren't important and they're already enjoying ICS.
My apologies if I offended you with my opinion.

Have fun. Mr. Solanki

Tags
ice cream sandwich, ics, samsung galaxy r
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes