Amazon Instant Video App?

OP spunker88

15th November 2011, 04:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 334

1,316 posts
More
I'm wondering if this will have an app for Amazon Instant Video since it is one of the advertised features. If it does, would it be possible to port it to other Android devices? Right now the only way to watch Amazon Instant Video on an Android device is to spoof a desktop user agent and use flash player. While this method works, it would be a lot easier to have a native app, especially with flash player being discontinued.

APK (ATVAndroidCleint.apk) is Posted:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=10

Works on unrooted Gingerbread devices and force closes on Honeycomb/ICS when you try to go to a video's page. On rooted devices you'll need to install OTA Rootkeeper then force close and re-open the video app. You can also freeze/defrost it with Titanium Backup.

Option #1 to Log in to Your Amazon Account:
Open the Amazon video app and find a video you want to watch. Tap the orange box to buy the video and log in with your Amazon account. Once logged in the prices in the orange boxes should adjust if you have Prime and you'll be able to watch videos. If you get an "Error Linking Device" proceed to option #2.

Option #2 to Log in to Your Amazon Account:
From a Kindle Fire ROM dump obtain and install MyAccount-unsigned.apk and com.amazon.dcp.apk. The files in this post should work even though its not a complete ROM dump. Now you can associate your Amazon account with your device just like you would a Google, etc account. From Settings, Accounts you should be able to add an Amazon account. Now go back into the Amazon video app and you should already be logged in and able to watch videos.

If you still get a "Your device is no longer configured correctly to play Amazon videos" error try restarting your device after you temp unroot with OTA Rootkeeper. Some devices, usually running CM roms have had issues with the error even after temp unrooting.
Last edited by spunker88; 16th September 2012 at 07:46 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spunker88 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2011, 05:33 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 53

846 posts
My understanding is that it will play instant video, although idk what app will do it.

Soon after mine arrives, I'll update?

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium
15th November 2011, 06:26 PM   |  #3  
Flag PA/MD
Thanks Meter: 140

1,980 posts
Donate to Me
More
Its built into the device.. so I doubt it.
15th November 2011, 08:10 PM   |  #4  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 10

169 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker88

I'm wondering if this will have an app for Amazon Instant Video since it is one of the advertised features. If it does, would it be possible to port it to other Android devices? Right now the only way to watch Amazon Instant Video on an Android device is to spoof a desktop user agent and use flash player. While this method works, it would be a lot easier to have a native app, especially with flash player being discontinued.

When flash is discontinued, you won't lose your ability to view video. more than likely, they will replace it with HTML5. As long as thy don't go to Silverlight, you should be OK.

Ditto, though about the native app. Why hasn't amazon released this type of app?
16th November 2011, 12:33 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 38

391 posts
Yeah, popped over to see if there was an apk for it to try on other devices. Would definitely want to give it a shot.
16th November 2011, 02:32 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

144 posts
There is a native Amazon Video app on the Fire. The apk installed and ran fine on my Nexus S (although the layout was a bit wonky). The problem that I encountered is that there is no way to sign in to your account from the app.
16th November 2011, 03:48 PM   |  #7  
Flag East Texas
Thanks Meter: 30

90 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843

There is a native Amazon Video app on the Fire. The apk installed and ran fine on my Nexus S (although the layout was a bit wonky). The problem that I encountered is that there is no way to sign in to your account from the app.

Where is the apk?
16th November 2011, 06:18 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 334

1,316 posts
More
Can you post the apk. Myself and others would be interested even if it doesn't work yet. Perhaps there is another app or service needed to get you logged into Amazon similar to porting android market to devices that don't have it. I also read that Amazon is releasing their source if that makes things easier. You'd think they would release Instant Video as an app but it is a selling point of the fire.
16th November 2011, 06:23 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 37

69 posts
More
The apk is in system/app, and is called "ATVAndroidClient.apk"
Last edited by abremel; 16th November 2011 at 06:26 PM.
16th November 2011, 07:15 PM   |  #10  
Flag East Texas
Thanks Meter: 30

90 posts
More
here is the ATVAndroidClient.apk......havent tried it yet.
Attached Files
File Type: apk ATVAndroidClient.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.54 MB, 90769 views)

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sikesjb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread