Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 48,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is this device really worth getting?

Tip us?

Lirankn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default Is this device really worth getting?

I mean I already have a rooted Nook Color with Android installed on it and it runs pretty smooth..
Should I consider buying the Nook Tablet just for the faster processor and RAM? Or is it pretty much the same?

Thanks.

RussianMenace
Old
Thanks Meter 83
If you already have a NC with CM7 (assuming you're not using stock B&N software) on it, there is little reason to move to the NT...until it gets root and ROMs. It all depends on what you want to be able to do. Besides, if your NC does everything you want it, why upgrade?
Are you new to XDA?
Did someone help you? Did they answer your question? If so, THANK THEM!
-#-#- Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Some JB ROM -#-#-

dexx0008
Old
Thanks Meter 10
i'm trying to decide as well. I think it depends on how much support this will receive.

It is not worth it if we never see ics on it and certainly if it doesn't get any version of cm7. ics should run much better on here vs. the NC. I think the NC will be pushing the hardware to run ics really well. Apart from that I don't think there is a huge difference. If you run stock quite a bit it should be much better/quicker.

I run cm7 off of sd now and still use stock for some things, i can't live without cm7. when 1.4 comes out for nookcolor i think comparisons will be really easy to make and again when cm7 or 9 get on the nook tablet-a real comparison of what you get will be easy to make.

can you live with just stock on nook tablet for a few weeks/months?

dibmem
Old
Thanks Meter 0
That all depends on your needs... Ask yourself what you with your Nook Color...
Is it primarily for reading books or are you using it as a full-fledged tablet?

If you used ManualNooter, then you'll see some similarities with the options that were unlocked in your Nook Color.
If you are looking to use apps, you may not be as impressed with the NTab at launch - it has the same app limitations as a stock NC. (No sideloading apps at present.) Perhaps that will change with NTab user demands, but only time will tell...

Do you watch a lot of video on your NC? If so, then you might like the NTab more, as the screen quality has been bumped up quite a bit. So far, it still only handles the same video formats as the Nook Color, but the screen and GPU are much more powerful, yielding a much richer video playback experience overall.
(I'm talking about playing mp4 encoded video files off a microSD card - YouTube and Netflix streaming aren't as important to me as using the NTab as a media player, so I can't speak for HD streaming via 'the web'.)

The speed of the NTab is the most impressive thing - It is *VERY* fast.
Pop into your local Barnes and Noble and test drive it - it's a completely different device than a stock or rooted Nook Color. You'll get that within minutes of testing it out.

Nuenjin
Old
Thanks Meter 54
This is the double edged sword of the NT/NC debate. For all intents and purposes, they are the same device save the hardware changes and preloaded apps.

All they are doing with this device is solidifying their market with better specs, there's no impetus to upgrade if you already own the NC.

I know next year is FOREVER away but I guarantee you that their next device will be just as friendly and worthy of upgrading to.

dkb218
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Well, my Sony reader died 3 months after it was given to me. I've been using the Nook app for Android and its time for an upgrade. On the way to pick one up now.
Galaxy Note 3 - Note 4 just around the corner...
Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
Galaxy Gear 1
Asus Nexus 7 2013

PrinceMorganti
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have had my Nook Color for less than a year. I am getting it for (hopefully) Improved performance with large (50mb+) pdf files... and well, im a sucker for gadgets damnit.

filovirus
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I received my Kindle Fire last night and doubt I will end up keeping it. I had a Nook Color that flew off my Subaru at 50 MPH and did not survive. I decided to put off repurchasing it for what would become the Kindle Fire.

Now that I have it, I miss my Nook Color even more. It had a home button, volume rockers, and an SD card slot that the Fire does not have. It also feels much more comforable in my hands. The Fire is heavier in a smaller footprint. The UI seems 3/4 baked. I get the feeling that Amazon released a very basic tablet at a very aggressive price point. I imagine they will release a pro version of the Fire in the future.

That being said, I am going to try the Fire for the next few weeks and most likely return it during before 30 days. I am an Amazon Prime customer, so my purchases are mostly within the Amazon ecosphere. If the Nook Tablet is rooted, I will likely pick it up. If not, I may opt for a new Nook Color at the lower price and put what I want on it.

I love Amazon, but BN design is very compelling.

Filovirus

dkb218
Old
Thanks Meter 196
As I post this from my Nook Tablet, i must say, this is rather sweet!!!
Galaxy Note 3 - Note 4 just around the corner...
Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
Galaxy Gear 1
Asus Nexus 7 2013

r2tbone
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I'm very much digging mine and I never thought I would put my Bionic. All it is now is a wireless hotspot for my NT.