Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,962 Members 51,008 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Swype installs but you cant enable

Tip us?

webstas
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] Swype installs but you cant enable

I got Swype to install but the rom wont let you select it

treleung
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Right, you can't access the stock android settings page to enable it. Will likely need a custom rom before this can be done.
way too lazy to update this. I have some phones, and some tablets. and they're on some roms.

big gulps huh?
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I dont have a fire yet so this is pure speculation....

Can you sideload a home screen replacement (like launcher pro) and have better access to the settings menus? Thus allowing ability to select swype?
Current Phone: Lg G3 (Verizon)
Current Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013) 16gb Black

Retired phones:
Nexus 5 <- Moto G <- Galaxy Note 2 (broken and sold) <- Nokia Lumia 521 <- Nexus 4 <-Amaze 4g <- Sensation 4g <- HTC One V <- Sensation 4g <- Galaxy S 4g <- HTC HD2 (Broken....again) <- Nexus S 4g <- EVO3D <- G2 <- Mytouch 3g slide <- HTC HD2 (Broken) <- HTC HD7 <- iPhone4 <- Moto Droid <- Blackberry Curve 8300 <- iPhone 3g <- Several Verizon Dumb Phones

sanewicked
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I installed Go Launcher Ex, which worked for me, and I was unable to access any other settings other than the customized Kindle Settings.

big gulps huh?
Old
(Last edited by big gulps huh?; 16th November 2011 at 09:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanewicked View Post
I installed Go Launcher Ex, which worked for me, and I was unable to access any other settings other than the customized Kindle Settings.
Cool, well guess at least we know those work! Will have to wait for some devs to get other stuff working I guess (or learn ourselves).

Edit: And im guessing they disabled the function to where you can long press on a text entry field to change input methods?

Retired phones:
Nexus 5 <- Moto G <- Galaxy Note 2 (broken and sold) <- Nokia Lumia 521 <- Nexus 4 <-Amaze 4g <- Sensation 4g <- HTC One V <- Sensation 4g <- Galaxy S 4g <- HTC HD2 (Broken....again) <- Nexus S 4g <- EVO3D <- G2 <- Mytouch 3g slide <- HTC HD2 (Broken) <- HTC HD7 <- iPhone4 <- Moto Droid <- Blackberry Curve 8300 <- iPhone 3g <- Several Verizon Dumb Phones

ylexot
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by big gulps huh? View Post

Edit: And im guessing they disabled the function to where you can long press on a text entry field to change input methods?
That's what I was going to suggest trying.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

masayang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by big gulps huh? View Post
There *is* a menu for input method that has only one entry, "Kindle Keyboard".

masayang

SikYou
Old
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
The kb has to be enabled in settings before it will show up in the input selection menu. Of course there is no way of doing that just yet

Sent from my ADR6400L
I love you!

big gulps huh?
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikYou View Post
The kb has to be enabled in settings before it will show up in the input selection menu. Of course there is no way of doing that just yet

Sent from my ADR6400L
Ok, I totally forgot about that. Oh well...

Retired phones:

Psxtreme
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am getting my kindle fire tomorrow and I've been looking at how to enable other keyboards. See if you can manually edit the file where settings are store: /data/data/com.android.providers/settings/databases/settings.db using an sql editor look for the field "enabled_input_methods". Type in the proper info for the keyboard you are adding and see what happens. Root is required obviously. With any luck this might work.