Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,595 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ICS removes USB mass Storage.

Tip us?

Falkner09
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default ICS removes USB mass Storage.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/17/g...essions-video/

"Using the camera exposed a major flaw in Ice Cream Sandwich, namely the lack of USB mass storage support"

Jesus. I sthotught it was pretty bad when Honeycomb didnt have this feature working on Macs. I thought to myself, "why would Google release a product that's clearly a prototype?" I then thought it was odd that they didn't fix the problem in 3.1 0r 3.2. seemd like a no brainer, like they had just rushed the original version. yet now they're even removing it from their flagship PHONE? a device meant to be used for its utility, meant to compete with the iPhone by having the basic features the iPhone doesn't have? and this is AFTER the phone doesn't have an sd card slot, either. you'd think they'd be smarter than this, with all the stability and security problems Android's been having due to the bloatware and related fragmentation. it's only real advantage over the iPhone is that it can do more, yet Google seems to be doing everything they can to slowly chip away at those functions.

Spartoi
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Galaxy Nexus, setting the standard for Android.

5MP Camera
Aging GPU
No MicroSD
No USB Mass Storage

LoL. I still don't know why people are flabbergast over this devices, but to each his own I guess.

qwertyaas
Old
Thanks Meter 83
I just wanted a SGSII with a 1280x720 display. But since that's not coming stateside, I'm enjoying my SGSII

Odd how they didn't just turn the SGSII LTE HD into the Galaxy Nexus with a few tweaks. Instead, they downgraded the flagship Samsung phone and just threw ICS on it.

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,578

DONATE TO ME
i totally agree with you there

it would have made much more logical to use SGS2 HD as a Galaxy Nexus than the low en phone they have released

ICS on SGS2 will easily blow the Nexus G away

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

N8ter
Old
(Last edited by N8ter; 17th November 2011 at 08:05 PM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 127
Nexus S was the same (internal storage, video record quality, etc. )

Why are people surprised by this.

This is a prototype/reference handset and the only real benefit to it is the early access to new OS updates and apparently a penta-band HSPA+ radio.

Other than that, you're better off just waiting for an OEM to release an ICS device.

The only funny thing is that Google left the Android UI in such deplorable state so long that OEMs are so used to skinning it. They will even skin ICS with Sense and TouchWiz.

I must admit.I was a bit hopeful.for this device. With Google Music and Video Store live, the lack of an SD slot is a really big issue, IMO.

Also, the lack if a Search button is a Showstopper for me. Maybe an OEM will put it back in. I do like the interface cues they took from Apple and Microsoft, though. The UI looks like actual graphics instead of ASCII art now.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to N8ter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Reviewers
Old
Thanks Meter 1,670
I have no idea if i even want this device , i never had any nexus device . It don't have a /SDCARD slot inside it and no USB storage , what the hell doe's that mean you can't plug it into the PC ?

Newest & Current Beastly Device:
T-Mobile Galaxy S 5 → CyanogenMod 11 - Android 4.4 - KitKat by elelinux

tobiasly
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Guys I just don't believe that it lacks USB mass storage support based on one sentence in one Engadget review. Maybe the guy didn't have his Windows drivers installed or missed a setting somewhere, who knows.

They released the source earlier this week and we haven't heard a peep about this. Surely someone woulda noticed this by now if it were removed?

Anyway.. maybe it is true but I'm not gonna jump to conclusions just yet...
XDA Admins: I've blocked ads on this site until you stop serving ads that auto-play audio!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobiasly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tolis626
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
I have no idea if i even want this device , i never had any nexus device . It don't have a /SDCARD slot inside it and no USB storage , what the hell doe's that mean you can't plug it into the PC ?
Well,maybe there will be gTunes(You know,something like Google's iTunes?).I dunno.It's complete bull****.I can do with a better UI,but I also liked the previous one.If they're going to deprive us of basic stuff,it'll be more like a downgrade.
Well,maybe we just have to enable USB debugging though...

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,578

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolis626 View Post
Well,maybe there will be gTunes(You know,something like Google's iTunes?).I dunno.It's complete bull****.I can do with a better UI,but I also liked the previous one.If they're going to deprive us of basic stuff,it'll be more like a downgrade.
Well,maybe we just have to enable USB debugging though...
it was launched live yesterday night

it's called Google Music

and yes there is also an App not by Google, called gTunes.

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

Falkner09
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8ter View Post
Also, the lack if a Search button is a Showstopper for me.
this. I'm pretty surprised by it, give that it's a GOOGLE made phone. the search button and its integration into apps is (was?) one of the best features onf Android, made navigating and finding files, contacts, anything you could think of so smooth and thoughtless, with one tap or press, always in the same spot without needing to distract yourself from anything else. now, google seems to be actually TRYING to kill it by relegating it to submenus.

look at Honeycomb: the "task" bar has so much potential, as a persistent bar that can be modified, upgraded, and given a myriad of quick functions due to being a screen based, persistent ~10 inch long area that could be able to launch a million functions. yet Google gives us only back, home, and app switcher. no search icon. even in apps that use the hardware search function on phones, a search button won't appear when you use them, yet menu will if they've been programmed to use the hardware menu key.

*shakes head* I thought Android was set to become THE dominant OS in the mobile sphere, but if Google keeps downgrading their product's most useful and unique functions while the iPhone copies the good ones, at the rate we're going, the iPhone may end up an overall better system by the end of 2012.