Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Tmobile specific version of the market app?

OP soreyes

18th November 2011, 09:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

21 posts
I recently noticed that Tmobile is advertising the option of billing google market content purchases to a users mobile bill. Although I don't really want to do that, it did make me curious as to how it works. Trying to get it to work led me to a question... is there a tmobile specific version of the google market apk?

I am running cyanogen 7 with google market 3.3.11 and I definitely can not see an option to bill a market purchase to my tmobile bill. I only see the options to add to a credit card.

I found this screenshot of google market which shows the tmobile payment option: http://cdn.androidtapp.com/wp-conten...oid-Market.jpg My payment screen looks a lot like that, minus the tmobile options.

If there is a specific tmobile version of the market, If so, how often does that get updated versus the generic version?
19th November 2011, 12:07 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 258

1,417 posts
More
I don't actually think that it is a different app, just a different payment method available on some carriers:

http://androidcommunity.com/att-dire...rket-20101222/
19th November 2011, 12:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
That's the question, how does the app know to present the user with the different payment methods? I am on the tmobile network, but the market app seems completely unaware of that.
19th November 2011, 12:09 PM   |  #4  
Portland
Thanks Meter: 180

839 posts
More
Your gmail account is synced with the Market, and so is your telephone number. Hence the connection to your T-Mobile account. If you are on a contract and not behind on your payments, you can theoretically bill an app to your monthly statement. This has been option for a long time now. And no, there is no T-Mobile specific Market.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
19th November 2011, 11:00 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 236

1,070 posts
More
Your SIM has a lot to do with it as well. I believe the Market can tell which SIM card you are using, bringing up that Network's options.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk
20th November 2011, 04:54 AM   |  #6  
Flag San Antonio, TX

27 posts
More
I haven't seen this on my market yet. Looks interesting.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
28th November 2011, 08:43 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
More
I'm asking me the same question some days before so I went to our T-Mobile Partner in the City. He told me, that I only can pay Apps with my T-Mobile bill, when I have a branded Device, because they modified the Android Market!
28th November 2011, 05:20 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 43

568 posts
i can verify that this option was there since february. And it has worked on all my roms, but they have always been modded htc roms like glite...so dunno maybe it has more to do with the rom.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
market, tmobile
Previous Thread Next Thread