Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,490 Members 50,904 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tmobile specific version of the market app?

Tip us?

soreyes
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Tmobile specific version of the market app?

I recently noticed that Tmobile is advertising the option of billing google market content purchases to a users mobile bill. Although I don't really want to do that, it did make me curious as to how it works. Trying to get it to work led me to a question... is there a tmobile specific version of the google market apk?

I am running cyanogen 7 with google market 3.3.11 and I definitely can not see an option to bill a market purchase to my tmobile bill. I only see the options to add to a credit card.

I found this screenshot of google market which shows the tmobile payment option: http://cdn.androidtapp.com/wp-conten...oid-Market.jpg My payment screen looks a lot like that, minus the tmobile options.

If there is a specific tmobile version of the market, If so, how often does that get updated versus the generic version?

noneabove
Old
Thanks Meter 257
I don't actually think that it is a different app, just a different payment method available on some carriers:

http://androidcommunity.com/att-dire...rket-20101222/
Android history: Desire Z, Nexus 7 (given away), Nexus 4 (sold), Nexus 10 (family tablet), Nexus 7 2013 (main tablet), Nexus 5 (sold), HTC One M8 running ViperOne

soreyes
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
That's the question, how does the app know to present the user with the different payment methods? I am on the tmobile network, but the market app seems completely unaware of that.

Ditamae
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Your gmail account is synced with the Market, and so is your telephone number. Hence the connection to your T-Mobile account. If you are on a contract and not behind on your payments, you can theoretically bill an app to your monthly statement. This has been option for a long time now. And no, there is no T-Mobile specific Market.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH-T999) in titanium gray | Slim Bean v4.2.2 | TWRP Recovery v2.7.1.0 themed with Holofied Light by z31s1g
with Apex by dennisxl | Ember theme by sonnysekhon

Screenshots:

Nospin
Old
Thanks Meter 236
Your SIM has a lot to do with it as well. I believe the Market can tell which SIM card you are using, bringing up that Network's options.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

stubby210
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I haven't seen this on my market yet. Looks interesting.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
T-Mobile G2 - Stock (Primary)
Rooted Motorola Droid2 - CM7 (Looking to sell)
Rooted Motorola Milestone - CM7 (Sold)
Rooted Motorola DroidX - CM7 (Sold)

c3374713
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm asking me the same question some days before so I went to our T-Mobile Partner in the City. He told me, that I only can pay Apps with my T-Mobile bill, when I have a branded Device, because they modified the Android Market!

killj0y
Old
Thanks Meter 43
i can verify that this option was there since february. And it has worked on all my roms, but they have always been modded htc roms like glite...so dunno maybe it has more to do with the rom.

Tags
market, tmobile