5,597,198 Members 41,013 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Blocks OTA's!] Full root for Nook Tablet. [11/20/11] [Permanent root!]

Tip us?

DagobahSamurai
Old
(Last edited by DagobahSamurai; 4th January 2012 at 06:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Hello Indirect and all,

I JUST rooted my NT and I am having a couple of problems.

I did not debloat, I did gApps, I did Go Launcher. I did OTA Blocker.

First off, after successfully rooting it and playing around for a minute or two and browsing the market (and linking my google account), I set the device down and went away for a bit. When I came back the NT was off. It would not power back on (and this scared me a bit). I plugged it in hoping it was power and tried a few more times and it didn't seem to want to turn on. Finally it booted up but came up with the message "installing new software". I was thinking this is the 1.4.1 update maybe since I left Wifi on after rooting, but I thought it was blocked?!
Anyways, it finally boots and it wasn't the 1.4.1 update. I am still 1.4, but it uninstalled gApps. I no longer have Market or any of the other apps that were on the home screen of Go Launcher. What happened?!
EDIT: According to BusyBox I do not have root. I definitely did before. Also, in addition to gApps, about half the apps the script installed are gone, including Android Reader I noticed.

EDIT 3 - It appears I just have terrible timing. I did a factory restore and indeed I am on version 1.4.1 despite it having said 9.9.9 before. I believe it squeezed in the update while I was rooting, what are the odds. Get to start fresh this way I guess and try a different launcher.

Problem 2 - after rooting, neither with the nook explorer or a file explorer can I seem to access my files on my sd card. I have epubs that it won't open (I don't even think the reader app is opening, just white screen), as well as movies that I can't even find anymore. I confirmed the files are still there. This is inconvenient.

EDIT: The above problem appears to be resolved after the "installing new software" occurred as described in the first problem. I would still like to understand what happened to this immediately after root if anyone knows. Currently it appears I have lost root, and I would assume that is why this is working again. Why would it not be able to read books from my SD when rooted?

EDIT 2 - After a 2nd reboot, my version now shows 9.9.9. It really seems to be acting like it pulled the 1.4.1 update though, since when I try to run an app I can't get to the hidden menu, it just says not allowed, and it took root away.

Random Questions - How to I switch the default for HomeCatcher once I've already set it? Can I rerun the root script and choose a different launcher? Go seems OK but I'd like to try the others. Is there anyway to confirm the OTA blocker is in place? I hit yes in the script, but I would like to see some sort of confirmation on the device itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to DagobahSamurai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SCClockDr
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Regarding the OTA you can verify by going to settings > Device Information > About my Nook - Version 9.9.9 would confirm.
Later versions of Indirect's script might have altered this.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

R
George
Regards
George

Droid Razr Maxx JB (Rooted)
SGN8013 JB (Rooted)

fantomu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default newest update 1/3/2012

The newest update played havok with a rooted nook no market no loading a non nook app please help

xToxicInferno
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomu View Post
The newest update played havok with a rooted nook no market no loading a non nook app please help
Here is what your going to do (please note you will lose all data on the Nook, though all purchases from B&N and Android market place are backed up in the cloud) is first unroot your Nook to be safe, use this here.

This should get you back to 1.4.0. Make sure you go through the first screens again and re-register your nook to your B&N account, now check to make sure your Nook is at 1.4.0 (Settings > Device Info > About > Software Version), if it is not then follow this guide here. After that, rinse and repeat the registration and software check.

When you are sure you are registered and you are running 1.4.0, follow the rooting process here.

Now you are rooted and you will no longer have to worry about the updates (OTA updates are now blocked via Indirect's awesome rooting script). The only problem with this is your going to lose all personalization you did of your NT, however that is why you should use Titanium Backup to make sure when freak events like a update no one thought would happen does happen, your safe.

Hope this helps you.

bobapunk
Old
Thanks Meter 56

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagobahSamurai View Post
Hello Indirect and all,

Random Questions - How to I switch the default for HomeCatcher once I've already set it? Can I rerun the root script and choose a different launcher? Go seems OK but I'd like to try the others. Is there anyway to confirm the OTA blocker is in place? I hit yes in the script, but I would like to see some sort of confirmation on the device itself.
To do this you need either "tgps_Launcher" or "NT Hidden settings". You should already have one of these apps since you are rooted, it is the same app that you used to get to the "USB debugging" option.

Click the "n"
touch "search"
type "tgps_launcher" or "nt hidden settings"
select the app from the search results
*(if you are using tgps_launcher, touch start)
*(if you are using NT Hidden Settings, touch "Application Settings")
go to "manage apps" (or something like that, don't remember )
touch "all" at the top
scroll down to "go launcher"
touch "home"
find the button that says "clear defaults" and touch it

Now click the "n" button. It will not let you choose which launcher to use again. Additional Launcher APKs can be downloaded form the Market.

This process will work if you still have the Nook Home launcher installed. If you do not, just go into your app draw and select either tgps_launcher or NT Hidden Settings.

If this works for you, click my thanks button!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobapunk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

1000cleverlines
Old
Thanks Meter 4
why do pandora and hulu plus keep coming back when i restart my nook? i don't have this problem with any of the other apps, and i even have pandora installed from the app store (newer version). i don't see anything else that keeps coming back besides these two, no matter how many times i uninstall them...

Montisaquadeis
Old
Thanks Meter 20
SEems the new script is missing the android gallery apk as I do not have it after having to reroot my device because my framework-res got screwed up. Not having the gallery app is making my wallpaper look like **** since i have to use the built in my media app.

miniblue
Old
Thanks Meter 27
The Email and Titanium Backup Apps also appear to be missing.

schtuka
Old
(Last edited by schtuka; 5th January 2012 at 05:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 33
I rooted few days ago and had Android gallery, still have email and Tibu. I deleted gallery and use Quickpic instead.
You can download original gallery from update or restore package and push it with root explorer or adb prolly.
2013 Nexus 7 FLO 32GB. Rooted.
2013 AT&T Samsung Note II. SkyNote 4.3
2012 AT&T Samsung Note. FJ's ICS (sold)
2012 Nook Tablet. Acclaim's CM7.2. OC. (sold)
2011 Nook Color. Stock Root & OC.
2010 AT&T Samsung Captivate. MIUI 2.3.24 w/Glitch 12b.
2009 T-Mobile MyTouch. BiffMod 2.1. Kept it as a relic.

DagobahSamurai
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagobahSamurai View Post
Hello Indirect and all,

I JUST rooted my NT and I am having a couple of problems.

I did not debloat, I did gApps, I did Go Launcher. I did OTA Blocker.

First off, after successfully rooting it and playing around for a minute or two and browsing the market (and linking my google account), I set the device down and went away for a bit. When I came back the NT was off. It would not power back on (and this scared me a bit). I plugged it in hoping it was power and tried a few more times and it didn't seem to want to turn on. Finally it booted up but came up with the message "installing new software". I was thinking this is the 1.4.1 update maybe since I left Wifi on after rooting, but I thought it was blocked?!
Anyways, it finally boots and it wasn't the 1.4.1 update. I am still 1.4, but it uninstalled gApps. I no longer have Market or any of the other apps that were on the home screen of Go Launcher. What happened?!
EDIT: According to BusyBox I do not have root. I definitely did before. Also, in addition to gApps, about half the apps the script installed are gone, including Android Reader I noticed.

EDIT 3 - It appears I just have terrible timing. I did a factory restore and indeed I am on version 1.4.1 despite it having said 9.9.9 before. I believe it squeezed in the update while I was rooting, what are the odds. Get to start fresh this way I guess and try a different launcher.

Problem 2 - after rooting, neither with the nook explorer or a file explorer can I seem to access my files on my sd card. I have epubs that it won't open (I don't even think the reader app is opening, just white screen), as well as movies that I can't even find anymore. I confirmed the files are still there. This is inconvenient.

EDIT: The above problem appears to be resolved after the "installing new software" occurred as described in the first problem. I would still like to understand what happened to this immediately after root if anyone knows. Currently it appears I have lost root, and I would assume that is why this is working again. Why would it not be able to read books from my SD when rooted?

EDIT 2 - After a 2nd reboot, my version now shows 9.9.9. It really seems to be acting like it pulled the 1.4.1 update though, since when I try to run an app I can't get to the hidden menu, it just says not allowed, and it took root away.

So problem one has resolved. Despite never saying it, my device did manage to pull the update to 1.4.1 even though it said 9.9.9. After doing a reset, a restore to 1.4, and rerooting, it is now functional well.

This also seems to have resolved problem 2.

As to the questions above, I rooted yesterday and also do not have Gallery.

I have one new random question. What is the easiest way to rerun the rooting script? For instance, if I wanted to choose to debloat or change my answer to one of the option in the script, like making the N a 1 touch home, how would I do this? Do I have to unroot/reset and start completely over? I'd be nice if I could just rerun it and it only change what I change.