Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 40,035 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lenovo IdeaPad A1 7" Tablet Review and Root!

Tip us?

paulnelson88
Old
(Last edited by paulnelson88; 21st November 2011 at 04:03 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Default Lenovo IdeaPad A1 7" Tablet Review and Root!

Just picked up my new Lenovo A1 Tablet yesterday at Fry's! With a little elbow grease this thing rocks! I'm just going to go down a list of what Ive done to make it a sweet tablet.

1) Superoneclick 2.2 will root this baby just need to install adb drivers...easiest root to date.

2) Once it's rooted I installed LCD Density from market and set it to 200. Make sure you select killall and hit reboot.

3) Installed SetCPU from Market. I set it to Performance with the screen on then set it to conservative with the screen off 300mhz/300mhz. Make sure you hit the set to boot button. Once I did this it felt much faster than my Xoom. I havent tested battery life yet.

4) Installed Spare Parts from Market. Set the windows animations speed to fast and transition animations to fast. Makes a world of difference.

5) Installed LauncherPro! Get rid of the stupid Lenovo home screen!

6) I installed WidgetLocker Lockscreen. You can do the Honeycomb screen and re-size it to fit. Gives it a nice feel!

7) Installed the new Adobe Flash11 from market

8) Installed App2Sd and moved all my apps to my 4gig sd card and cleared cache.

9) Picked up a badass 7" case with a stand at OfficeMax! fits perfect! $30 http://www.officemax.com/technology/...^return_skus~Y The website only shows a 10" but they have a 7" version

10) Google Nav works great tethered to my phone via wifi. I'm downloading a offline Nav as we speak.

11) Charges Via USB!

12) Screen gets really bright at max. I just use Auto

13) Skype was working till I did the Lenovo update no video sound works fine. Front camera sucks back camera is good. To be honest I use my Samsung Galaxy2 for all my pictures.

14) As soon as I turned it on and connected to the internet it wanted to update. I don't know what the update is about but it was a huge file.

I'm just getting started with this tablet. I was torn between the Nook2 and Fire. What I love about this is its easy to root comes with Market and charges via usb. I installed Amazon Kindle and Google Books. Their is a new update to Amazon Kindle that makes the app look just like the fire lol.

Anyways hope this helps! Please feel free to ask me any questions. I will be updating this thread as I learn more.

Comes with Gingerbread 2.3.4

Link to ADB Usb drivers. Install first! make sure you have Debug on http://www.mediafire.com/?6v19365dkvc6k8r

SuperOneClick 2.2 Install 2nd http://www.mediafire.com/?0bi19eva4h4c218
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to paulnelson88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chentopkimo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Very happy that someone discuss/share the ideaPad A1 on XDA. Hope you could share more information on this. Could we install CyanogenMod on this product?

Sonix6
Old
(Last edited by Sonix6; 21st November 2011 at 11:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the info, Im in the market for a cheep tablet to use with Google Nav and a Virgin Mobile MIFI!

Btw, if you get the MIFI at Walmart you can get 20 dollar cards that are good for 1GB not the usual 500MBs!

And secondly thanks goes out to Google alerts, otherwise I would have never saw this and spent many hours looking for info!

PS: was the Android Market hard to get on it? How do you get it?

J_T
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonix6 View Post

PS: was the Android Market hard to get on it? How do you get it?
My IdeaPad A1 came with the Android Market already installed and working.

jaysus145
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_T View Post
My IdeaPad A1 came with the Android Market already installed and working.
Mine too... I think the tablet is a lemon though

androidapk.net
Old
Thanks Meter 2
It's refreshing to see someone post info on the Ideapad...already seen lots of posts on Samsung and Sony products. Nice post!

jaysus145
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnelson88 View Post
13) Skype works perfect for me. ]
Does Skype video chat work for you? Did it work before you rooted??

paulnelson88
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Looks like my skype works but no video. I wonder if the update from Lenovo has anything to do with it? Weird! we need some rom love!

paulnelson88
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Android Market comes installed. It will have the old Market but once you log out and back in it will update to the new one.

mark_r
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for taking the time to write this up! I've been trying to decide on a new tablet and every opinion helps.

Tags
ideapad, lenovo a1, lenovoa1, lepad, root, tablet