Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

white HTC vivid or galaxy s2?

OP saywhat4118

20th November 2011, 08:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, Texas
Thanks Meter: 38

502 posts
More
hey guys, just wanting to get some opinions. i have the galaxy s2 running miui but i am wanting to try the white HTC vivid. I'm hesitant because the Vivid doesn't have much of a dev support.

if you all had the ability to choose between the two, what phone would you guys pick?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
20th November 2011, 09:07 PM   |  #2  
Flag Pomona
Thanks Meter: 134

1,809 posts
More
I sold my white S2 to buy a white Vivid. This is my first HTC device as well.

Cons:

- No Perma-Root (I use many apps that require root)
- Exynos > Snapdragon S3 (S2 felt faster in loading apps/transitions, but the Vivid still feels smooth and quick, especially the browser)
- Speakers are quite low on the Vivid while the S2's were quite loud and clear.
- My Vivid has 1 dust particle underneath the screen. Not a big deal because you can't see it while the screen is on, but its still there.
- SAMOLED+ produces better looking colors, but the higher res screen on the Vivid is a decent trade-off.

Apart from those, I don't miss anything from the S2 and prefer everything else on the Vivid. Vivid has better software which gives a better stock experience. Once custom roms come out, the Vivid will be even better but I'm more than contempt with the phone as it is right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartoi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th November 2011, 09:30 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, Texas

502 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee

I sold my white S2 to buy a white Vivid. This is my first HTC device as well.

Cons:

- No Perma-Root (I use many apps that require root)
- Exynos > Snapdragon S3 (S2 felt faster in loading apps/transitions, but the Vivid still feels smooth and quick, especially the browser)
- Speakers are quite low on the Vivid while the S2's were quite loud and clear.
- My Vivid has 1 dust particle underneath the screen. Not a big deal because you can't see it while the screen is on, but its still there.
- SAMOLED+ produces better looking colors, but the higher res screen on the Vivid is a decent trade-off.

Apart from those, I don't miss anything from the S2 and prefer everything else on the Vivid. Vivid has better software which gives a better stock experience. Once custom roms come out, the Vivid will be even better but I'm more than contempt with the phone as it is right now.

Thanks yeah that's what i was thinking as well. I do love the HTC build quality though that's the main reason I am thinking about switching.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
21st November 2011, 04:00 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 30

151 posts
I just want to say that samoled is not superior in any way to the screen that vivd uses. The sreen on my vivid is actually very good. Samoled produses ovesaturated colors that just look unnatural, it us unable to display whites, is prone to burn in and is not very efficient when not displaying datk colors.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
21st November 2011, 04:46 AM   |  #5  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 173

1,304 posts
Donate to Me
More
It depends the LTE is a m a z I n g

The development will be here soon enough , I have both I love the vivid and the gs2
But the LTE is keeping me here

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
21st November 2011, 05:35 AM   |  #6  
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 24

152 posts
More
How long before the dev community and efforts pic up? Also, I hear that the video and low light camera functions were squirrelly. Is that true?
21st November 2011, 06:47 AM   |  #7  
Flag Pomona
Thanks Meter: 134

1,809 posts
More
Development will probably pick up when HTC let's us unlock the bootloader.

Sent from my HTC Vividô
21st November 2011, 07:14 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dallas, Texas

502 posts
More
Hope development picks up soon because I just sold the gs2 for 450. Gonna pick up the vivid tomorrow morning. Luckily I was able to get the unlimited by doing the iPhone2g trick. LTE!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to saywhat4118 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st November 2011, 08:12 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 14

75 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhat4118

Hope development picks up soon

Ditto! Just bought the Vivid on friday but have yet to turn it on. Still currently on a JB'n 3GS. Im also waiting on a case and zagg screen cover to show up. Then Ill make the full jump

ROOT ROOT ROOT!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread