Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,573 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should I root my kindle fire now?

Tip us?

Germwise
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Should I root my kindle fire now?

Little background.

I'm fairly adept with computers. I'm comfortable with command line-I've rooted and ROM'd all of my android phones, jailbroken ipads.

I got my kindle today and I want to install some software I have already purchased in the android market on my kindle.

I've seen the walkthroughs on Gapp installation and unrooting to keep amazon prime videos etc.

My question is how much of a risk am I taking? How well does GO-launcher run? Is the benefit at this point worth it?

Just want to hear opinions.

blauciel
Old
Thanks Meter 40
I rooted mine no problem. ADW, Market, and other apps running near perfect. Almost a 7" clone of my EVO 3D. Very little risk. Just be sure to read the entire thread of whatever root method you follow.

//Tapatalk.EVO3D//

jolars
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I have sideloaded all of the google apps, all the apps I use from the market and everything else I use and have had no reason to root my tablet so far.

The only 'real' things you need to root for are for installing the market or for changing the look/feel of your tablet.

IMO, until the issues with recovery are solved, rooting opens you up to the possibility of bricking your device on accident.

daggy1985
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I rooted mine within the first hour of having it, installed the market, then unrooted it no problem. There's always risk, but the risk was worth the benift in the end to me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium
Amazon Kindle Fire - Whistletop's CM7 - Slowly Being Customized and Themed
HTC ThunderBolt -ThunderShed V1.1

ajq
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
no reason not to root it, you can always unroot it in 2 minutes. I'd stay away from trying to do anything more funky than install a launcher or the market (or apps from the market) though, at least until things are a bit ahead of where they are.

bsoplinger
Old
Thanks Meter 333
Ditto on what other posters said. Just rooting to install the Android market then unrooting should be rather safe. I've done much more including adding in support for Swype and SwiftKey X keyboards, syncing calender and gmail, using TiBackup, etc. and no problems or issues. So I think just for market then unroot should be simple and safe.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Captain1995
Old
Thanks Meter 2
This is exactly what I did. It's nice to have the Android Market available and by unrooting I have the Amazon Prime videos working again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoplinger View Post
Ditto on what other posters said. Just rooting to install the Android market then unrooting should be rather safe. I've done much more including adding in support for Swype and SwiftKey X keyboards, syncing calender and gmail, using TiBackup, etc. and no problems or issues. So I think just for market then unroot should be simple and safe.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
Kindle Fire (Rooted)
Motorola Atrix 2
Motorola Atrix - Daughter has it
Samsung Captivate - Junk - Thrown away
iPhone 4 - Replaced with Atrix and sold
iPhone 3GS - Sold
iPhone 3G - Sold

jutley
Old
Thanks Meter 300
Use keep root from android market it works well.
Device 1 LG G3 D855 16gb Gold rooted (towelroot)
Device 2 Sony Z Ultra 16gb white, GPE Rom 4.4.4
Device 3 IPad air 16gb silver (jailbroken pandu)
Device 4 Nvidia shield stock 4.4.2
Device 5 Dell Alienware M17 R5 16gb ram, I7 4700mq R9 M290X 4gb.