Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,567 Members 42,678 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Q free wifi tethering

Tip us?

drupad2drupad
Old
Thanks Meter 627

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol44 View Post
Not sure what you mean...

I do have the Internet Sharing option is settings.

When I turn it on it says "Connection not shared - To enable tethering on this device, go to att.com/mywireless or dial 611"

It's unlocked and not on ATT.
oh I meant Internet Connection Sharing.

It more looks like its your SIM that might not be compatible to tether on titan? When I turn it on, it shows me devices I can pair with and then it needs connection using passcode.

pistol44
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drupad2drupad View Post
oh I meant Internet Connection Sharing.

It more looks like its your SIM that might not be compatible to tether on titan? When I turn it on, it shows me devices I can pair with and then it needs connection using passcode.
Oh, well I assume you're not using an unlocked ATT Titan? I know the unbranded model has no issues with internet sharing.

averma
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I was trying to get tethering working as well (at&t titan on Rogers) i phoned around and the HTC rep said tethering needs to be added onto my account. I have a 6GB data plan that does not include tethering (i know rogers says anything over 1GB has it but technically my account does not include it). The Rogers Rep said i would need ot go down to a 1GB plan for them to addon tethering to my account and then the phone should authenticate and work.

Is anyone here able to test that out and confirm?

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

my current theory is that the at&t phone actually authenticates back to the carrier to verify tethering is added onto the account rather than just sharing out its current internet connetion.

if anyone can test and get back to us it might be helpfull

pistol44
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by averma View Post
I was trying to get tethering working as well (at&t titan on Rogers) i phoned around and the HTC rep said tethering needs to be added onto my account. I have a 6GB data plan that does not include tethering (i know rogers says anything over 1GB has it but technically my account does not include it). The Rogers Rep said i would need ot go down to a 1GB plan for them to addon tethering to my account and then the phone should authenticate and work.

Is anyone here able to test that out and confirm?

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 AM ----------

my current theory is that the at&t phone actually authenticates back to the carrier to verify tethering is added onto the account rather than just sharing out its current internet connetion.

if anyone can test and get back to us it might be helpfull
I'd be surprised if that actually worked. However I have speculated a way that should allow unlocked ATT branded Titan users like us to be able to use Internet Sharing. Sadly this won't be an option until the next MS Windows Phone update is rolled out. I'll explain..

When I had my HD7 it was T-Mobile branded unlocked on Wind Mobile. At first it was filled with all kinds of T-Mo apps etc and similarly locked to T-Mo within the OS. But once the updates starting rolling out from MS I forced them to my phone rather than waiting for T-Mo and it essentially made it become unbranded. The Internet Sharing feature was available as an update on my HD7 when the unbranded models received theirs and it was fully functional. So whenever MS rolls out whatever next update there is forcing it to our Titans should make it fully unbranded and at the same time unlock our Internet Sharing feature.

Pretty_Paulie1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm with At&t and can verify that once I switched my plan from unlimited to "4g with tethering" I've been able to use Wifi Sharing. In fact i'm using it right now.

YellowGTO
Old
Thanks Meter 181
I think it's a value in the registry to check or not. We'll see once we can edit it.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
-Note 3-
2125, 3125, 8125, 8525, Tilt, Fuze, Tilt2, Droid X, Captivate, Atrix, Titan, SGS3, Note, Nexus, Note II,

Phrozt
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Add me to the list of ppl curious how to do it for free. I very rarely use the option, but I'd like it nonetheless...

colbyjames
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Titan on Rogers

I have an AT&T branded Titan unlocked running on Rogers. I had a 1GB plan without tethering and I was getting teh same issue when I tried to enable tethering. So, I phoned Rogers and now I have a 6GB plan which has tethering enabled.

Restarted my phone, same issue.

I think that in order for this to work either I have to update the phone so that it is unbranded (how would I do this?) OR there is a registery key or file that needs to be changed so that the check to the carrier no longer happens.

Hmmmmm....

averma
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I think i know what needs to be done. My buddy has a Samsung Focus Flash from At&t (forgot to check but i assume it would give him the same At&t tethering message we're all getting).

Anyways we interop unlocked it and pushed the wifi tethering patch for WP7 and my guess it overwrote the At&t lockdown because he is able to tether without any issues.

Good news is we can get it working - bad news we have to wait for someone to interop unlock the Titan - which so far hasn't been done

Rickgig
Old
Thanks Meter 1
This whole thing with tethering is flat getting old. We should have it std on the phone if we have an unlimited plan like I do and some of the others do. This sucks and is a good reason to take our business elsewhere where the feature is included.

I really don't use it much but that is not the point.

Okay, I'm done ranting and raving about this and I am back to normal.