Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 39,927 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rom Bounty: ICS on P1010 - $90

Tip us?

r_3
Old
(Last edited by r_3; 18th December 2011 at 05:20 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default Rom Bounty: ICS on P1010 - $90

Here is to start some development interest in the P1010 wifi only model of the GT. There is a ton of work for the 1000's and little love for the wifi only version. There are a lot of users with this tablet due to its price at this point and its only fair that there is even development throughout the models. Otherwise its just as bad as Samsung not supporting it.

I will start with saying that I will gladly contribute $10 towards the cause.

Updates will come with each users post/contribution.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r_3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheATHEiST
Old
Thanks Meter 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_3 View Post
Here is to start some development interest in the P1010 wifi only model of the GT. There is a ton of work for the 1000's and little love for the wifi only version. There are a lot of users with this tablet due to its price at this point and its only fair that there is even development throughout the models. Otherwise its just as bad as Samsung not supporting it.

I will start with saying that I will gladly contribute $10 towards the cause.

Updates will come with each users post/contribution.
Well firstly, a actual dev who is interested in ICS and who has a castrated version of the device needs to be involved and I dont think neither exist.

Second, It is in absolutely no way shape or form anything like Samsung not updating. This is a dev forum and nobody here is under any sort of obligation to update any device, devs here are members of public who share development they have done on their devices.
Phone:
Galaxy Note II | CM11 (Unofficial)

Tablet
Nexus 7 | CM 10.2

Smartphone History:
HTC Touch > HTC Universal > HTC Touch HD > HTC HD2 > iPhone 4S > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy Note II

Tablet History:
Galaxy Tab 7.0 > iPad3 > Nexus 7

r_3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Glad I am rejecting the delivery of mine then.

colemab
Old
Thanks Meter 10
The P1010 runs the OMAP3630 system on a chip but the 3630, 3621 and 3622 have that same PowerVR SGX530 graphics chip. And of course, all of the listed OMAP SOC models have the same ARMv7 Cortex-A8.

I have also learned that the droid X has that same that same PowerVR SGX530 graphics chip.

Both the nook color and the droid X have GB builds.

So this begs the question, why can't we modify a nook color or droid X GB build for the P1010? I ask because the p1010 should have the same hardware minus a cell modem, sim slot, or HID device. So shouldn't it be a matter of removing software from the build?

I know it isn't ICS but GB would be a step in the right direction.

I am in for 20$ for a ICS or GB build. Perhaps if we get enough cash, we can get a dev a refurbished P1010 to work with .... just a thought.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Any guides or information on how previous ports were started? I ask so that if a P1010 owner wanted to start down this path they could have a reference.

alexgogan
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
There was start on this when getting honeycomb on the device then I was going to send a dev a p1010 once it was done on the p1000 to get things moving, but to be honest at this stage my son my spare one now and uses it to watch his movies (http://youtu.be/chT6cV3HuDU) and plays angry birds ... which is as much as this device is worth now. Do not think I will trust Sammy again in the hardware front!

If a dev is willing to start again would be willing to help. That or will wait till my lad learns how to code >:¬}
Current

Galaxy SIII GT-I9300 - One of these days - YES Sudden Death Chip!!!!
  • I9300XXELLA
  • 3.0.31-742798
  • JZ054K.I9300XXELLA
Sony Xperia LT26i Rooted Bootloader Locked
  • 8660-AAABQOLYM-314010-22
  • 3.0.8+1.0.21100-30145-01956-g43358ca
  • 6.1.A.2.45

In the drawer sometimes played with
Galaxy Tab GT-P1010 rooted stock rom
Xperia i10
Palm Pre
Galaxy S i9000
The Following User Says Thank You to alexgogan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Reb0rn
Old
Thanks Meter 740

DONATE TO ME
Honestly it isnt samsungs fault... they made a bastardized version of the p1000 stripping the 3G sim slot. And made it cheaper then the big bro p1000.

You as a costumer made the bad choise im afraid... a tab without 3G option is... wrong.

Besides. Usually before i buy a phone or tab i actually check out the level of development shown in the threads here.

| MIUI Powered Galaxy Tab | Tapatalk |
Phone: Sony Xperia z2 16GB White
History: Too long to rabble here...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reb0rn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

colemab
Old
Thanks Meter 10
When samsung advertises the products the exact same way and don't list the soc specs on their website, you blame the consumer? Samsung also blocks reviews on its website that mention other products - even samsung products. This is a clear case of false advertising by samsung. Hell they even mention the front facing camera is perfect for video conferencing when android 2.2 doesn't even support it. The only way you can find out the products are different on the samsung website is to try and but the hdmi dock and see it isn't supported. Absent a GB update for it, the p1010 will be my last samsung product. They have dropped support for the product in less than 9 months with no updates and misrepresent the hardware.

I love the 7 inch size but not the samsung BS. My next tablet might be a 10 inch size but probably won't be a samsung.

Most people have routed phones with wifi tehering and don't want another data plan.
Or they use the tablet on wifi at home.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

jtdc
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Good luck even on Gingerbread for P1010, moreso Honeycomb nor ICS.
LG-D820 & ME571K on KTU84P
Sony D2005 on 4.3
A1395 on iOS 7.0.4 | A1432 on iOS 7.1.1

Freek20010
Old
Thanks Meter 2
So paying 200 for P1010 wouldn't be worth it cause it don’t have 3G Sim slot Least that what I’m getting as I found the white edition it states it supports 3G.

I guess from this thread everyone saying it don't have 3G Sim slot I just wanted to use Tmobile Sim card not as much I can live with just WIFI as I don’t want to pay extra fees for 4G is pricey.

Does P1010 Support Honeycomb Rom they have floating around or Gingerbread or would I be best to pay extra 60-70 dollars for P1000 version.

r_3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Glad I didn't keep it now..