Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,250 Members 40,932 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

December Update Confirmed by top Samsung dev

Tip us?

kingsway8605
Old
(Last edited by kingsway8605; 25th November 2011 at 08:35 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 487
Default December Update Confirmed by top Samsung dev

TL'DR - A sprint executive told me there is an update in the final stages with a December release to fix LoS

Full story:
I have been having problems since I bought this phone with LoS and had been having bad customer service to the extreme which I won't go into here.

A couple of days ago I did an executive email bomb (not the dan@icouldgive address, but their actual email addresses). Bob Johnson, the customer service top guy at Sprint personally called to apologize to me at 9pm at night. After I explained the issue, he said he would research the issue and get back to me. A top Samsung dev called me today who said he had spoke to Bob and informed me that an update was due in December. He offered to push the update to my phone now but said it was still in testing, so I declined.

He explained the cause of the issue to me. It is isolated to areas with spotty coverage, which is why some don't experience it at all. If you are in 4g and leave 4g coverage, or in 3g coverage and leave 3g coverage, and in the process of sending packets, there is apparently a bug where the phone does not detect this and would just give up after it could no longer talk to the old tower.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kingsway8605 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Overstew
Old
(Last edited by Overstew; 29th November 2011 at 03:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1654
Sounds good but I don't expect much unless they officially state that.

EDIT: I retract my above statement.

Thanks OP.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

sling
Old
Thanks Meter 931

DONATE TO ME
Sounds realistic to me thanks for posting.
T-Mobile Galaxy S5 G900T
ROOT: CF-Auto-Root (HERE)
RECOVERY: [klte][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch (HERE)
ROM:BeansTown106 - G900TUVU1ANCH 4,4,2 STOCK DEODEX (HERE)
[SlingMods]
ATT Data Icons-v1 (HERE)
SMS/MMS Screen Wake Control-v1 (HERE)

scoobmd
Old
Thanks Meter 43
December is just a few days away now...
Hopefully this rings true.

kingsway8605
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstew View Post
Sounds good but I don't expect nuch unless they officially state that.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Lol he literally was willing to push the update to me that moment. I only declined because he emphasized it was still in testing and could make things worse, phone too critical to risk that.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingsway8605 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ayman86
Old
Thanks Meter 21
you could have accepted, pushed the new update, make a dump (for the devs) and revert back to your old nandroid? lol

though when i read the title i thought this was about ics. lol

kingsway8605
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayman86 View Post
you could have accepted, pushed the new update, make a dump (for the devs) and revert back to your old nandroid? lol

though when i read the title i thought this was about ics. lol
I considered that and am still considering calling him back Monday and telling him to go ahead and send it, but I am not an android dev, dont know what this update will break as far as root and recovery especially since it is an internal samsung build, and not sure I want to risk that when December is like a week away.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingsway8605 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

3meister
Old
Thanks Meter 7
What about apps-closing-every-10-minutes?

kingsway8605
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3meister View Post
What about apps-closing-every-10-minutes?
Not having that problem so didn't bring it up, sorry

kingsway8605
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by newalker91 View Post
You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. You have the opportunity to provide the community with everything they would need to fix LoS and you're only worried about what it will mess up on your phone. After receiving, packaging and uploading the update, you can easily just Odin back to what you're on now until our developers can modify, test and compile. Ask any of the developers how to upload an OTA after you receive it.
I will call back Monday and see if the offer still stands. Of course there is always a chance he uses xda which would suck.