[Q] 2nd init and kernel question

Tip us?

Khar00f
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] 2nd init and kernel question

Good day folks,

Alright so now that 2nd init is the way to go for roms on the NT, I have a couple of questions that some of you more knowledgeable can answer.

My understanding of Init is basically a hook that takes over once the Kernel initiates the startup sequence that runs right after the first init.

And since NT has a locked bootloader based on means we can't change the kernel, and since the current kernel doesn't support HA, in essence if an ICS ROM is created it wont' support HA unless B&N Releases an updated Kernel/Rom based on ICS itself and which supports HA, correct? or can HA be enabled even if the kernel doesn't support it?

I'm looking into getting that Tablet for my wife, as she wants an e-reader and I want her to have a tablet with the full android experience, Kindle Fire's 8GB of storage and no expansion is why I decided to go with NT, and the budget is 300$ . So I've come to the conclusion that the NT is the best choice for the budget, was going to go with Iconia A100, but I've heard read bad things about it's screen, I don't really care about angled viewing as it's for a 1 person use/viewing, but i read that the NT has the better screen, especially that she plans on doing some reading on it, it's important she gets a good screen.

Thank you,
Rodi

diamond_lover
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khar00f View Post
Good day folks,

Alright so now that 2nd init is the way to go for roms on the NT, I have a couple of questions that some of you more knowledgeable can answer.

My understanding of Init is basically a hook that takes over once the Kernel initiates the startup sequence that runs right after the first init.

And since NT has a locked bootloader based on means we can't change the kernel, and since the current kernel doesn't support HA, in essence if an ICS ROM is created it wont' support HA unless B&N Releases an updated Kernel/Rom based on ICS itself and which supports HA, correct? or can HA be enabled even if the kernel doesn't support it?

[...]

Thank you,
Rodi
I think that's true. But I think a compatible kernel can be used, just like CM7 on Motorola devices: it's GB with the Froyo kernel. That mean that not all the feature will run out of the box, but maybe we can have a good rom.
Btw, it's early to talk about ICS right now.