Driver fix for nook tablet (for when you follow instructions exactly)

Search This thread

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Alright. This is for people who have followed instructions EXACTLY and cannot see "Nook Tablet" when they plug it in with the little /!\ next to it.
First, make sure that it's not loaded as an android device because generic drivers have taken it over.
Next, be sure to check for USB Mass Storage in Universal Serial Bus controllers. This is where some people have difficulties so I took the liberty to snap a picture from my desktop with what you need to uninstall and put a border around it to get my point across.
Paint1.png

All you need to do is uninstall those drivers and you should see "Nook Tablet" /!\ when you scan for hardware changes. I know this because I had to do it.

Last edited:

jerrykur

Oct 7, 2007
Doesn't work for me. Tried it on two systems.

Did you have the drivers for the Nook Color installed previous to installing the drivers for the Nook Tablet? Now about the development environment for ADK.

I have both of those on my system(s).

I think I will create a new VM and do a fresh install there. Thankfully with a USB install you can install Windows 7 64 in about 10 minutes.

tonyp22

Nov 20, 2011
Jerry, when I tried this before I too had troubles. I had to do a System Restore to a state previous to my having plugged in my NT. My thinking was along the same line as yours - once you have any semblance of a "normal" Nook installation (even a Color, it seems) you have to find a way to completely back out of that state. Your VM approach should get the job done. Just be sure to do the runmefirst step and check to make sure the .Android stuff is all done before plugging in the NT.

kbs24

May 5, 2010
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Here's how i fixed this issue on my system. Download Usbview www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Disconnect NT, open Usbview, remove all references to Nook and Android. Reconnect NT...as long as auto mount is off Windows will allow you to install the adb drivers.
in usbdview, do we "disconnect" or "uninstall" or "disable"? I'm going to try this method, if I can't get it all going I just realized I have a dual boot with WinXP on this machine so I will try doing it there.....Thanks to EVERYONE who has contributed to this issue, especially Indirect!!

kbs24

May 5, 2010
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
That worked! In Usbview there were like 10 instances of various android and nook which I uninstalled. Also with Usbview, as soon as I connected the Nook Tablet, I could see which mass storage device it was I had to update the drivers on. Perfect. THanks again to everyone. Now I know I will keep the tablet. It is much better deal than the Kindle Fire which I also tried out.

kbs24

May 5, 2010
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Sorry, this is probably silly question, but how do I get Windows to recognize my newly rooted nook in explorer? It is connected and the nook says it is ok to move files to pc, but I can't find it in windows.....I'll try rebooting the pc....

OK, I rebooted pc but still not showing up in windows. I opened usbdviewer and there is an entry, actually 3 entries that seem to point to it, in fact one names it, says it is connected, and says it is drive letter u:. hmmmmm. The two other entries are "unknown" and also both "unconnected" and they refer to the same usb port that my nook tablet is plugged into. I suspect that they are the nook and its sd card and should be showing up as drive letters in windows, but they are not. I should be able to figure this out but I can't seem to.

GOT IT. Was in device manager as composite device (I could tell by the port) so I let windows automatically update the drivers and it reverted to a mass storage device and now is showing up in windows. Thank god.

Last edited:

kreott

Jun 4, 2011
I am trying to root my Nook Tablet, and seem to be stuck because my system is recognizing the preexisting Nook driver. I've used USBDeview to uninstall Android and Nook drivers, and tried (not sure if successfully) to disable automount. But every time I connect tablet, it automounts and installs drivers. So I'm not able to update driver to 'usbdrivers' that will enable me to root the device. I've looked online various places and cannot so far find a solution.

UPDATE: Every time I connect the nook tablet (after uninstalling drivers in USBDeview) win7 (64bit) says 'Installing Device Driver Software' and then installs tablet as 'USB Mass Storage Device' - I assume I need to turn something off to stop this from happening, so I can update the driver manually?

Last edited:

Dfroelich

Apr 8, 2011
I am trying to root my Nook Tablet, and seem to be stuck because my system is recognizing the preexisting Nook driver. I've used USBDeview to uninstall Android and Nook drivers, and tried (not sure if successfully) to disable automount. But every time I connect tablet, it automounts and installs drivers. So I'm not able to update driver to 'usbdrivers' that will enable me to root the device. I've looked online various places and cannot so far find a solution.

UPDATE: Every time I connect the nook tablet (after uninstalling drivers in USBDeview) win7 (64bit) says 'Installing Device Driver Software' and then installs tablet as 'USB Mass Storage Device' - I assume I need to turn something off to stop this from happening, so I can update the driver manually?

Recheck to make sure that both USB debugging boxes are checked on and that the Auto-Mount is unchecked.
That was my first problem, and those boxes fixed it. Later on, I could install the drivers, but the nook and zergy script would never recognize my nook, so I used another computer that has never had android drivers. (I even used USBDeview to uninstallall android looking drivers.)

Later, I reset the nook to stock and then followed the "Troubleshooting" section at on the article: "How to root the NOOK Tablet, install the Android Market" at lilliputing.com

I was then able to recognize the nook on my original computer.
Good Luck.

Reactions: Froide

phil0sophic

Sep 13, 2009
Heber Springs
Recheck to make sure that both USB debugging boxes are checked on and that the Auto-Mount is unchecked.
That was my first problem, and those boxes fixed it. Later on, I could install the drivers, but the nook and zergy script would never recognize my nook, so I used another computer that has never had android drivers. (I even used USBDeview to uninstallall android looking drivers.)

Later, I reset the nook to stock and then followed the "Troubleshooting" section at on the article: "How to root the NOOK Tablet, install the Android Market" at lilliputing.com

I was then able to recognize the nook on my original computer.
Good Luck.
where do you set usb debuging and mount onte tablet?

kdraw

Mar 31, 2011
Many Thanks!

Not to sound like a lot of others, but here goes anyways...

This site has helped me out more than a four-year degree in IT has! You all rock. Many thanks to everyone. I now like my new Nook. The B&N interface was way too limited.

I am absolutely a noob, but still learning.

Kevin

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
Not to sound like a lot of others, but here goes anyways...

This site has helped me out more than a four-year degree in IT has! You all rock. Many thanks to everyone. I now like my new Nook. The B&N interface was way too limited.

I am absolutely a noob, but still learning.

Kevin

Same here. I've been digging in Windows and building computers for years, but as tablets go, I'm a noob. I've lurked here for a long time without joining, so I felt like it was time to signup and give my thanks to the folks that do the impossible here.

Dfroelich

Apr 8, 2011
where do you set usb debuging and mount onte tablet?

Did you download the apk for the tgps launcher app? When you open it with package manager, click start, then development. Those boxes are on the next screen.
I don't have enough posts to add links, but you can download (directly from your nook) that apk on the main root page under: "here is an app to pull up usb debugging menu"

FloridaPhil

Jul 17, 2011
Tampa Bay
OMFG! I am going to throw my laptop out the F***ing window!!

Every time I delete the drivers for Mass USB storage and the Nook, Vista just automatically reloads them as soon as I refresh the device list.

If I do not refresh the device list then there are no devices showing to update the drivers for.

If I try to install the drivers manually I get the infamous 'Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date'

If I try to force load the drivers by telling Windows I have a disk and point at the drivers provided it tells me it didn't find an appropriate driver.

6 hours straight - this is killing me!

Anyone?

jreed012

Dec 19, 2006
Brentwood
Ok, I think I know what might be happening here.

There are 2 (yes two) "USB Debugging" settings in the settings on the Nook. I wasn't able to get the "Nook Tablet" to show in Device manager. I FINALLY went back in, and saw the second (well in my case the first) USB Debugging option. Originally, I checked the second USB Debugging option. I went back in, and saw the first one on the menu. Once I checked that I saw the Nook Tablet device in device manager.

Edit - Note of clarification. Yes, these two USB Debugging options are on the same settings screen. If you see one, you'll see the other.

suicideclown

Jan 17, 2011
Wolfforth
tabletroms.com
OMFG! I am going to throw my laptop out the F***ing window!!

Every time I delete the drivers for Mass USB storage and the Nook, Vista just automatically reloads them as soon as I refresh the device list.

If I do not refresh the device list then there are no devices showing to update the drivers for.

If I try to install the drivers manually I get the infamous 'Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date'

If I try to force load the drivers by telling Windows I have a disk and point at the drivers provided it tells me it didn't find an appropriate driver.

6 hours straight - this is killing me!

Anyone?

if it were me i would try uninstalling the driver and clicking the box that says to also delete the driver from your computer so it wont auto install back.

Reactions: Froide

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright. This is for people who have followed instructions EXACTLY and cannot see "Nook Tablet" when they plug it in with the little /!\ next to it.
    First, make sure that it's not loaded as an android device because generic drivers have taken it over.
    Next, be sure to check for USB Mass Storage in Universal Serial Bus controllers. This is where some people have difficulties so I took the liberty to snap a picture from my desktop with what you need to uninstall and put a border around it to get my point across.
    Paint1.png

All you need to do is uninstall those drivers and you should see "Nook Tablet" /!\ when you scan for hardware changes. I know this because I had to do it.
    Here's how i fixed this issue on my system. Download Usbview www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Disconnect NT, open Usbview, remove all references to Nook and Android. Reconnect NT...as long as auto mount is off Windows will allow you to install the adb drivers.
    How I got around this annoying USB Driver issue on Windows 7

Hey guys, after reading several of these posts I was finally able to figure this out. First I uninstalled the device in the device manager. It didn't give me an option to remove the drivers. That is fine. I just wanted it gone. It would then flash the NOOK Tablet device line for a moment before reverting when I plugged it back in. So don't even plug it back in yet.

Next I downloaded the USBDView (USB Device View) program mentioned by yumms (URL: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19719695&postcount=6). I downloaded the x64 version (since I am running 64-bit Win7). I unzipped it and right-clicked the executable selecting "Run as Administrator" to get the access I needed.

Once I had the program open I removed all references to NOOK, to USB Mass Storage Device, and to my HTC Android phone.

Finally, and I think this is the kicker (remember the flash I mentioned earlier, Windows was interceding where I didn't want it to), I changed the Hardware driver default settings for Windows.

I did this by:
    1. Right-clicking "My Computer", clicking properties.
    2. Then on the left clicking "Advanced system settings".
    3. Then clicking the "Hardware" tab.
    4. Click "Device Installation Settings".
    5. Select "No, let me choose what to do".
    6. Below that select "Never install driver software from Windows Update."
    7. Click "Save Changes".

Now Windows should no longer get in your way. Plug the device back in and it will show up correctly now. Right-click the device and direct it to the USB drivers you downloaded and all will be well in the world.
    I had the same issue with not getting the Nook device recognized. What I found was that the info in the file %USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini was empty. This file is created when you run the runmefirst.bat file. So I just ran the following line of code from runmefirst.bat file from a command prompt to write the info it needs:

echo 0x2080 >> "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"

After I did that, when I ran the nookandzergy.bat file, it recognized my Nook with the device number and I was able to root.
    Cause - Windows Default Drivers

I had the same problem too. My problem was that no matter what, Windows installed its own drivers automatically. I could always update the driver after the fact, but that never worked. I could never get device manager to show a "composite" device. I decided to take the next step. I let Windows install the default driver. If I remember correctly, one shows up as a mass storage device, and the other as some ADB device. I right-clicked on both to get the name and path of those drivers. Next, I uninstalled them through device manager. After that, I found them on the hard drive (one was called usbstor.sys, I can't remember the other one). I removed them from their default location to my desktop. After making sure the USB debug and automount options were set correctly, I connected the Nook to the computer. This time, Windows couldn't find the driver :) and I was able to point it to the customer driver folder. This time, device manager installed both devices, including the composite device. I remember having to go through two "add new hardware" wizards. I chose the same driver for both. After that, the script recognized my device and listed the serial number. The root worked flawlessly after that. Finally, I moved the default drivers from my desktop to their default locations. I did all of the above on Windows XP SP3. I hope that helps.