5,596,784 Members 47,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][ICS][IML74K] teamhacksung's CM9 ALPHA for Captivate (BUILD 17)

Tip us?
 
nkrick
Old
#5211  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 145
Posts: 810
Join Date: Feb 2009
I have the i897 bootloaders that came with the Kk4 update through kies mini. When I decided to go to GB bootloaders I decided to allow kies perform the update (partially due to multi-upload going offline). I am using build 15 with the stock kernel and only QuickOffice restored from TiBU. My Captivate is a 1007 and I have never had a sleep death or charge death. My wife with a 100% stock 1105 Captivate with KK4 installed had a charge death Friday night / Saturday morning (for the first time ever).

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App
current -
Device: Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (takju)
ROM: stock

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 wifi
ROM: stock, rooted with CWM

previous devices -
Device: Samsung Captivate i897
Hardware Revision: 1007
ROM: CM9
Radio: KG3

Device: HTC Fuze
 
simple man
Old
#5212  
simple man's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 240
Posts: 713
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
No problems here, I've ran several of these builds, early on I would occasionally get the reboot during phone calls but that's it. I'm on 1008 build, last stock flash was kk4 one click, and that was SEVERAL CWM zip flashes ago.
I've not had any SOD, or COD, I use a cheap Wal-Mart charging Cable at least 50% of the time, the other times I use the stock charger. While I sleep I charge my phone and have an app called Relax and Sleep running to drown out noise, I'm a day sleeper. It's very puzzling what could be causing the SOD, COD issues.

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk
 
RockRatt
Old
#5213  
RockRatt's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3383
Posts: 3,746
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromlakh View Post
Not trying to rain on the parade, but it's incorrect to say that most people having charge deaths are on KK4 bootloaders. In fact, it's not correct to say that they're on any particular bootloaders. I've been following this thread for about 300 pages, and people have been complaining about charge/sleep deaths for a long time. First someone mentions they're on Eclair/Froyo bootloaders, and people "diagnose" that as being the problem. Then 10 people pipe up that they're on the Eclair/Froyo bootloaders and don't have the problem, followed by several pages of people ignoring that and saying the problem must be Eclair/Froyo bootloaders.

This has repeated itself over and over again with people variously targetting the Eclair/Froyo bootloaders, pre-KK4 i897 GB bootloaders, KK4 GB bootloaders, and i9000 GB bootloaders. Each of these "diagnoses" are then followed by pages of people mentioning how they have the alleged "problem" bootloaders and don't have charge/sleep death issues, and several more pages of their statements being ignored.

I doubt very seriously the bootloaders have anything to do with the charge/sleep deaths. The people who have been reporting the issue have not reported being on all the same bootloaders. The problem is something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-eock View Post
No such things as KK4 bootloaders. They haven't been updated since KF1

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Anyway I always get charge of death since build 10 and charge of death is 100% here.

I connected the captivate to the usb port of the computer with logcat running and no charge of death. I guess the usb debugging with logcat running keeps the phone awake.

Clean install of build 15 with KK4 GB bootloader and build 1010.

Downside the computer has to be on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane87 View Post
Just had my first sleep death. I sent an mms message, locked my phone and put it in my pocket. About 10 minutes later, I pulled it out to wake it, and got no response on pressing the power key. I tried a few more times, as some times my power key is finicky with my otterbox. After I confirmed that the phone was dead, I held power + vol up + vol down for a few seconds and got a vibe, so I let go of the keys, assuming the phone had shutdown and was rebooting. However, nothing happened. So I hit the three-key combo again, and held till I got a double vibe, then the att splash, followed by cm splash, followed by clockwork recovery. I hit reboot system now, and the phone booted successfully. After boot, I had lost about 8-10% battery. The battery was between 68-70% when I put it in my pocket (don't remember exact number), but after boot it was at 60%.

My setup:
1101 build captivate
Kk4 gb bootloaders
Ths ics build 15
Build 15 stock kernel
Tljl3 modem

I wasn't running logcat when it died, so I have no log dump to share.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App
Like I was saying these are from the last 10-20 pages with people with the issues that actually listed their boot loaders they are on.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using xda premium
 
Gromlakh
Old
#5214  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 165
Posts: 482
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRatt View Post
Like I was saying these are from the last 10-20 pages with people with the issues that actually listed their boot loaders they are on.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using xda premium
Or we could go back another 10-20 pages with people listing being on the i9000 GB bootloaders, leading to the announcement that the i9000 GB bootloaders were officially being listed as "unsupported" due to their supposed involvement in the sleep/charge death issue.

Or another 10-20 pages with people blaming the Eclair/Froyo bootloaders.

Or we could just move on, find the real problem, and stop blaming the bootloaders.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note II i317, AT&T
Current ROM: Infamous Open Android Project
Kernel: Stock

My OS: Linux Mint 16 (Petra)

Support Heimdall!
"Just use Odin" is not the right answer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gromlakh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
shaker2k
Old
#5215  
shaker2k's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 483
Posts: 1,180
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: winnipeg,mb
Or another 10-20 pages with people blaming the Eclair/Froyo bootloaders.

Or we could just move on, find the real problem, and stop blaming the bootloaders.[/QUOTE]

Great point. And one thing we have to remember. Flashing bootloaders
Is one of three more tricky procedures, and from what I've read one of the 2 ways to hard brick your phone if done wrong.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
Nexus 5
Nexus 10
Galaxy s 3
 
DaNaRkI
Old
#5216  
DaNaRkI's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 238
Posts: 547
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ???
Can the OP/Dev(s) designate/provide a set of bootloaders that everyone must use for the time being? It will eliminate a lot of back seat "problem solving". Anyone who is uncomfortable changing bootloaders can sit out until this issue is fixed or at least isolated.

Or as a group lets all pick a set to run, go a few days post results and try the next set. We have 3 sets, so if everyone agrees to something we can get this sorted out in about a week (since we probably only need to go 2~3 days a set).

Also, this ROM is just now at the alpha stage. Can we stop with the foreign kernel BS already. Anything you people post is useless, this is not an RC build it's not even beta... There is no reason to be tweaking something that is not a "finished" ROM, your just confusing yourselves and others. If you don't like how a pre-RC pre-beta ROM runs go use something else!

leaked from my semi- FUSED SGS I897 contaminating you via XDA app.
SGS I897 info: ROM-Is Here Kernel-(custom The Collective built) Modem-same...

I'm not always logged on, just to lazy to log off

xda is not your personal mechanic. You broke it! You fix it! Tho we will be glad to offer advice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaNaRkI For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
singlebeam
Old
#5217  
singlebeam's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 268
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: State of Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromlakh View Post
Not trying to rain on the parade, but it's incorrect to say that most people having charge deaths are on KK4 bootloaders. In fact, it's not correct to say that they're on any particular bootloaders. I've been following this thread for about 300 pages, and people have been complaining about charge/sleep deaths for a long time. First someone mentions they're on Eclair/Froyo bootloaders, and people "diagnose" that as being the problem. Then 10 people pipe up that they're on the Eclair/Froyo bootloaders and don't have the problem, followed by several pages of people ignoring that and saying the problem must be Eclair/Froyo bootloaders.

This has repeated itself over and over again with people variously targetting the Eclair/Froyo bootloaders, pre-KK4 i897 GB bootloaders, KK4 GB bootloaders, and i9000 GB bootloaders. Each of these "diagnoses" are then followed by pages of people mentioning how they have the alleged "problem" bootloaders and don't have charge/sleep death issues, and several more pages of their statements being ignored.

I doubt very seriously the bootloaders have anything to do with the charge/sleep deaths. The people who have been reporting the issue have not reported being on all the same bootloaders. The problem is something else.
I have followed this thread from the start and have read every single post. I agree with your observations and I'm glad you pointed it out - I've wanted to say something similar for a few weeks though I never feel like my views are credible like a Developer's would be. I mostly just sit back and listen to all 472 sides of these conversations

Also, on a side note, I wanted to ask where the term "charge of death" came from and why everyone is using it? I noticed this about 50 pages ago and everyone seems to have followed suit. What does that mean? Charge OF Death? That doesn't make sense. If one wanted to coin a term it would more appropriately be Death of Charge.
 
wash23
Old
#5218  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 65
Join Date: Aug 2010
Confused here; once the phone boots successfully, are the bootloaders any longer relevant??
 
brianray14
Old
#5219  
brianray14's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 79
Posts: 661
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sarasota
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlebeam View Post
Also, on a side note, I wanted to ask where the term "charge of death" came from and why everyone is using it? I noticed this about 50 pages ago and everyone seems to have followed suit. What does that mean? Charge OF Death? That doesn't make sense. If one wanted to coin a term it would more appropriately be Death of Charge.
This term is being carried over from the DOS and early windows days when the BSOD (blue screen of death) reared it's ugly head

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
Sent from my battery hog Samsung Galaxy-S Captivate SGH-i897 - Been turning me into an outlet whore since 2010
 
shane87
Old
#5220  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 208
Posts: 635
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waynesburg, KY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wash23 View Post
Confused here; once the phone boots successfully, are the bootloaders any longer relevant??
I would have to agree. I am not an expert in bootloaders, but from what I have read on adamoutler's threads about bootloader development, the bootloaders should have no effect on charging after the phone is booted. The only time the bootloaders deal with charging is when the phone is powered down. The bootloader should simply activate some memory, find sbl.bin (in the case of the primary bootloader) or zImage (in the case of the secondary bootloader), load the required file into memory, pass control to the file they loaded, then die. So, it seems to me, that unless the problem is with charging the phone when it is off, the bootloaders should not have an effect.

This is just my understanding of the subject, and I may be way off on this one. However, I know that the kernel has the code built in to handle charging, so having the bootloader involved seems redundant and unnecessary.

If I am wrong here, feel free to let the scathing comments begin, lol.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

The Following User Says Thank You to shane87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
cm9, icecreamhackish, ics, smooth, teamhacksung
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes