Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,741 Members 47,346 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Beats Mod GB & ICS (Beats Dolby SRS Equalizer)

Tip us?

mudhi
Old
(Last edited by mudhi; 6th April 2012 at 05:04 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 248
Default Beats Mod GB & ICS (Beats Dolby SRS Equalizer)

You can use the zip for any purpose without asking, since I take and learn from this community.

Beats_ICS_v5.2_XE.zip
Fix beats icon disappear from sound effect dialog when headset plug or unplug, at the same time fix the chain bugs of this bug.
Fix unknown bug introducing by archiver 64bit 7-zip, by using default Windows 7's zip archiver.
The fix is only modifying HtcListen.apk, and is for XE base ROM only, I didn't include for non-xe ROM, since 3.32.401.105 is out there for a long time, but in case, if you want to flash it on non-xe ROM, just use this HtcListen.apk and push it to your phone or, insert and replace it to Beats_ICS_v5.1.zip and flash.

Please report bug if any, so that I know what to fix, thanks.

HtcStreamPlayer.apk mod for ICS ROM base 3.32.x,

This is a quick & dirty mod for Player launch by Htc Watch, which enables all 4 effects, tested with speaker and wired headset. The red beats icon not shown on status bar even if beats is selected. Not tested on BT yet. I may improve it when I have time to read the code, and it is not easy to analyze, as this is more complicated than HtcVideoPlayer.apk, just don't expect I could fix it.

HtcVideoPlayer.apk mod for ICS ROM base 3.32.x,

This mod enables all 4 effect available for xe and non-xe ROM, no-effect, srs, htc51(dolby) and beats. Beats sounds nothing on bluetooth.

For ICS ROM base 3.32.x, non-xe ROM, flash Beats_ICS_v5.1.zip

For ICS ROM base 3.32.10x, XE ROM, flash Beats_ICS_v5.1_XE.zip

For GingerBread Sense 3.5, ROM base 2.08.401.1, Flash Beats_GB_v4.2.zip

The mod is basically combine XE and non-XE sound effect styles into one.
/etc/TPA2051* are volume boost tweak
/etc/soundimage/* are my preference on srs, dolby and beats over BT tweaks
TPA2051* and soundimages can be deleted, and stock is used instead.

Beats cannot be delivered thru bluetooth and so it is moded to use srsfx_trumedia_movie.cfg soundimage to emulate beats effect.

On ICS builds, the dolby and srsfx have same effect, it is supposed to use srsfx_trumedia_51.cfg and srsfx_trumedia_music.cfg soundimages respectively, but due to htc's ICS build has added global srs and beats feature, so dolby and srs were using srs_global.cfg soundimage, however bluetooth is normal, I haven't found a way to fix it, just live with it, if you want your preference of srs on wired headset, edit the /etc/soundimage/srs_global.cfg

There is a feature of beats BT on latest ICS, however it is still under testing.

Most frequently ask question: Note I may be wrong, but I prove it by my music background (piano/violin etc...) See below for my descriptions.

No-Effect sounds like beats - from my understanding, Beats Effect is just bass enhancement only from No-Effect, and nothing more, bass gain is not louder either, that's why it is called Bass enhancement or BestsBass, it is not bass boost (SRS) which can boost a specific range of freq in strength and etc. What bass enhancement really do is emphasize low freq part something like prolonged the rythm, that's why you feel more rythmatic! makes you have an illussion of beating, and that's all the difference. Beats is louder, because on non-xe ROM, the TPA2051* (amplifier config) is configured 0x50 less volume, and xe ROM is 0x55, hence XE is louder, some ROM base you can differentiate no-effect and beats easily, because the volume is much more differ, but when it is close, you will say No-Effect sounds like beats, and it is caused by libraries.

To make sure beats is in effect or not, use this command

adb logcat BestsBass:V *:S

and you will see what files are loaded when turn on beats, and when no-effect, you will see Effect Release ...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Beats_GB_v4.2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.45 MB, 2784 views)
File Type: zip Beats_ICS_v5.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.57 MB, 4827 views)
File Type: zip Beats_ICS_v5.1_XE.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.67 MB, 1844 views)
File Type: apk HtcVideoPlayer.apk - [Click for QR Code] (263.5 KB, 2237 views)
File Type: apk HtcStreamPlayer.apk - [Click for QR Code] (295.7 KB, 1294 views)
File Type: zip Beats_ICS_v5.2_XE.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.71 MB, 3005 views)
The Following 100 Users Say Thank You to mudhi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drms12
Old
Thanks Meter 27
It's for sense 3 / 3.5 ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drms12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Giblet-dono
Old
Thanks Meter 415
I dont get it..

The opening post says that its original from sensation XE
But this this means beats will work through Bluetooth or not?
HTC One (M8)
S-OFF | ViperOneM8 1.8.0 | ElementalX 0.19 | TWRP 2.7.0.4

HTC Jetstream
S-OFF | El-Diablo 1.2 | El-Diablo | TWRP 2.4.1.0

My Other Devices
HTC One X | HTC Sensation | HTC HD2 | HTC One S | HTC One (M7)
Sony Xperia S | Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 | Nokia Lumia 800

mudhi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giblet-dono View Post
I dont get it..

The opening post says that its original from sensation XE
But this this means beats will work through Bluetooth or not?
It's for sense 3.5, and it work through bluetooth also, I already edited my post for simpler clarification.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudhi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drms12
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Please make the mod for sense 3.0 xe device also or explain which files I need to edit to make my own mod. Thanks

zozo10k
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Damn!

It is what I'm looking for! Thanks in advance!
Phone:
Samsung Galaxy S III --- HTC Sensation --- HTC Desire --- Nokia N97 --- Nokia N95 8GB --- Nokia N80 --- Nokia 6680
Rom:
Omega v39 ● JB 4.1.2
Tab:
Acer Iconia A501
Rom:
TegraOwners JB 4.1.2. v23

"Thanks" button is here for a reason...

mudhi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by drms12 View Post
Please make the mod for sense 3.0 xe device also or explain which files I need to edit to make my own mod. Thanks
Sorry, I cannot convinced myself to use sense 3.0, everything is better in 3.5, so why not just flash a sense 3.5 ROM?

Making a mod out of original htc apk for all sound effects working requires adding codes to the apk, and beyond my knowledge of java, but anyway, I explain how beats works on sense 3.0 and 3.5

sense 3.0: Sensation XE already has HtcMusic.apk enabled the beats, + the files for beats, those files you can see them on my mod.

sense 3.5: To enable beats on sense 3.5 stock ROM 2.08.401.1, you just have to mod the services.jar framework file's class HtcHardwareService, method isSupportBeats to always returning true, and HtcListen.apk will simply operates in beats, plus you need files from XE to really hear the effect.

For both 3.0 and 3.5, you need to mod the HtcMusic.apk and HtcListen.apk, adding, modifying codes to display the dialog, to invoke the effects etc... what I've done is just fixing others did, my first post's 2 links to the threads is where I got the modded HtcListen.apk, I referenced it to the original HtcListen.apk, tools I used:
Apk manager 5.02 for decompile/compile apk
smali/backsmali for moding services.jar
dex2jar to decompile dex to jar and view classes on jd-gui for better understanding of the app.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudhi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drms12
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Thanks for the explanation. Sense 3.5 for the sensation isn't the final release and have problems, slow performance and battery life in compare to 3.0.
I have beats headphones, when I connect them the enhancer option have option to disable beats/enable beats, not the HTC enhancer which is srs. I just try to figure out the way to make every headphones use the real beats enhancer, not the generic one. And bt/speaker out is also needed.
If you can help I'll appreciate that. Thanks anyway.

daman215
Old
Thanks Meter 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhi View Post
Sorry, I cannot convinced myself to use sense 3.0, everything is better in 3.5, so why not just flash a sense 3.5 ROM?

Making a mod out of original htc apk for all sound effects working requires adding codes to the apk, and beyond my knowledge of java, but anyway, I explain how beats works on sense 3.0 and 3.5

sense 3.0: Sensation XE already has HtcMusic.apk enabled the beats, + the files for beats, those files you can see them on my mod.

sense 3.5: To enable beats on sense 3.5 stock ROM 2.08.401.1, you just have to mod the services.jar framework file's class HtcHardwareService, method isSupportBeats to always returning true, and HtcListen.apk will simply operates in beats, plus you need files from XE to really hear the effect.

For both 3.0 and 3.5, you need to mod the HtcMusic.apk and HtcListen.apk, adding, modifying codes to display the dialog, to invoke the effects etc... what I've done is just fixing others did, my first post's 2 links to the threads is where I got the modded HtcListen.apk, I referenced it to the original HtcListen.apk, tools I used:
Apk manager 5.02 for decompile/compile apk
smali/backsmali for moding services.jar
dex2jar to decompile dex to jar and view classes on jd-gui for better understanding of the app.
Sense 3.5 is a test build so how is it better than 3.0?, it has all the bugs in the world. Anyway this same mod is on the new coredroid wich is xe sense 3.0 so if any body want true beats sound try the new coredroid, this mod sounds nothing like the xe base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-27_10-10-44.jpg
Views:	7420
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	796771  
N5:

Rooted:for sure why not

Rom: [4.4.4] [HAMMERHEAD] Mahdi-Rom 2.7 7/19

Glad to be back on XDA.....

drms12
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by daman215 View Post
Sense 3.5 is a test build so how is it better than 3.0?, it has all the bugs in the world. Anyway this same mod is on the new coredroid wich is xe sense 3.0 so if any body want true beats sound try the new coredroid, this mod sounds nothing like the xe base.
Thanks for that. I didn't know about the mod from coredroid. I hope it's work over bt.

The Following User Says Thank You to drms12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]