Rooting the Captivate Glide (SGH-I927)

OP lambgx02

27th November 2011, 10:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 2,961

235 posts
More
Note - Sorry everyone; I've been so busy with work the past few days, and it doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon. I'll try to check in as much as possible.

This thread is mainly for rooting development / techniques and updates on the SGH-I927[R]; If you're looking for the latest (detailed) instructions, please see CarpeNoctem's guide here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1378082

If you want to participate in ongoing rooting/dev work, keep reading!

----

Success! The SGH-I927R was rooted on Dec 5, after a great team effort. We finally have the powerful device the Captivate Glide was meant to be! Special thanks to:

ardatdat, boog, CarpeNoctem, and everyone that helped keep this thread alive.

You've now got a couple options. If you don't mind the annoying little yellow triangle on boot-up (I think it looks kinda hackerish ), you can simply flash my insecure STOCK Rogers boot image (ro.secure = 0), attached to this message. I've never tested this against an AT&T ROM, so if you do, please report back how it goes!

Simply load this .tar up in the PDA section (same as procedure below), flash, and you should be able to adb in as root. Then, install your mode 6755 su binary into /system/xbin, and superuser.apk.

Note that you can always flash back to the stock kernel (also attached), when you're done rooting your device. This will restore the normal boot logo.

Alternatively, here are two pre-rooted ROMs:

Rogers Canada (SGH-I927R): https://rapidshare.com/files/1741701...ROOTED.tar.bz2
AT&T (SGH-I927): https://rapidshare.com/files/3058304...ROOTED.tar.bz2

1. Unpack the tarball, which will dump out a single tar file.
2. Put phone into download mode.
3. Launch ODIN, and select the file from the PDA flash option.
4. Don't touch anything else!
5. Flash the image.

Now, this goes without saying, but:

This is highly experimental! It could permanently brick your device! It worked for me, but I cannot accept any responsibility if something goes wrong!

At this point, it seems kernels and roms are interchangeable. I highly recommend the Rogers kernel, as it's not infected with CarrierIQ.

PS - Thank you Rogers, for doing the right thing!
Attached Files
File Type: zip SGH-I927R_insecure_bootimg.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.76 MB, 5923 views)
File Type: zip SGH-I927R_stock_bootimg.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.76 MB, 1526 views)
Last edited by lambgx02; 8th December 2011 at 09:28 PM.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to lambgx02 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th November 2011, 02:46 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Trenton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 587

1,161 posts
Donate to Me
More
The CL652095 is part of their build number, and modules from a different build won't work if that 'version magic' doesn't match.

So, if you try to build a kernel from other source (and the initramfs from your kernel) you will need to
Code:
export LOCALVERSION="-I927RUXKJ5-CL652095"
that way it will load the prebuilt modules properly.

But, if you can pull the zimage from the phone, it might be easier to just unpack, add su (or cwm, then you could flash root from cwm) and repack.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boog For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th November 2011, 08:00 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

235 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boog

The CL652095 is part of their build number, and modules from a different build won't work if that 'version magic' doesn't match.

So, if you try to build a kernel from other source (and the initramfs from your kernel) you will need to

Code:
export LOCALVERSION="-I927RUXKJ5-CL652095"
that way it will load the prebuilt modules properly.

But, if you can pull the zimage from the phone, it might be easier to just unpack, add su (or cwm, then you could flash root from cwm) and repack.

Yeah, assuming they're only using that to stamp the kernel and not to reflect their own (critical) patchset they've applied to the stock source.

I sent yet another request to Samsung support, and they're playing dumb. Their support guys claim to "not have the source" and be "not affiliated with the Samsung open source release center" (no joke).

I also filled out a request on their web form on the OSRC; I'll see what they say.

Honestly if there were a way to extract the kernel, we'd be golden. Unfortunately all mmcblk* devices are 007 masked or worse. Wonder if these devices have some undocumented "upload" mode.

Does anyone know if kies is able to force-recover a device with the emergency firmware recovery utility? Does the recovery mode use the main kernel that gets flashed by ODIN, or some separate kernel? ie. if I flash a bad kernel, is it lights out, or will recovery mode still work?
27th November 2011, 08:53 PM   |  #4  
Flag Missouri
Thanks Meter: 166

390 posts
Donate to Me
More
I know adam has been able to use UART to root devices and pull software.
Im pretty sure you need some hardware. But if anyone can find a way its adam.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smasher816 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th November 2011, 05:52 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

235 posts
More
Well, I'll be damned!

I made a request to the Samsung Open Source Release Center for the source, and they delivered!

I'm downloading right now and will report back shortly!

If anyone else is interested in checking it out, here's the link they gave me:

https://opensource.samsung.com/recep...attach_id=1842

Go Samsung!
29th November 2011, 06:15 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
I'm not trying to make too much of a tangent but with an upgrade due in a few months I've been considering this device. would you recommend it? If the hardware is worthy I will definitely root& rom and contribute to the community when I have the time.

How would you compare it to to original captivate?
29th November 2011, 06:39 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

235 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigArea

I'm not trying to make too much of a tangent but with an upgrade due in a few months I've been considering this device. would you recommend it? If the hardware is worthy I will definitely root& rom and contribute to the community when I have the time.

Honestly, my only issue is the lack of rootability (which hopefully will be solved soon).

Now, I'm coming from a 2+ year old n900, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I have to say that the phone itself is spectacular. If it wasn't, I'd have returned it the day I realized it couldn't be easily rooted. It was good enough to make me hold out.

The display is gorgeous, form factor perfect, keyboard is decent enough (not as good as the n900's, but it was way above average), and the performance is, for me, mind blowing.
29th November 2011, 06:58 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 89

300 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigArea

slide-out keyboard, stock gingerbread, front-facing camera... in line for an official ICS upgrade (maybe????)... dual core CPU... faster HSPA+ downloads...
29th November 2011, 07:05 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Montreal

235 posts
More
Ok, I successfully built a kernel for our device! Time to roll the dice.

...fires up ODIN...

Wish me luck!

Does anyone know offhand how to make a kernel insecure?
29th November 2011, 07:43 AM   |  #10  
Flag None
Thanks Meter: 774

1,222 posts
Try telling it that it needs to lose some weight. That should make it really insecure.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jmtheiss For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
sgh-i927 i927 root
Previous Thread Next Thread