Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,692 Members 52,158 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kindle Fire vs. Acer Iconia A100

Tip us?

maddin90
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Kindle Fire vs. Acer Iconia A100

I'm am thinking about getting a 7" tablet. Do you think the Iconia A100 is worth the extra 100 bucks?

The point on the Kindle I'm struggling with is that you don't know now if the custom roms will give you the ICS experience... Without the custom roms, the Kindle will be a piece of crap, because the ecosystem is so limited!

The Iconia will receive an ICS early next year and has all the additional features, everyone wanted to see (camera, BT, micro SD, micro HDMI, Tegra 2, 1 GB ram).

What do you think?

GiageJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think the iconia a100 price is coming down. I see that Best Buy has it available online for $250. This is $60 more than the black friday price but still a decrease from the previous $330 price. If you can't wait it is only $50 more than the fire. If you can wait, there are a fleet of other tablets coming out so that price might drop a bit more in the near future.

pokey9000
Old
Thanks Meter 385
Had a Black Friday one for less than a day. The terrible viewing angles killed it.

bsoplinger
Old
Thanks Meter 333
If you plan to spend $300 on a 7" tablet right now I'd suggest the HTC flyer. You can only buy it at Best Buy but it's a single core 1.5 GHz tablet. Has an optional pen that only works in a few apps but that I find quite useful.

In general if you spend more you'll be buying a tablet that has market out of the box, a GPS, vibrator (thought that was gimmicky until I had a tablet with one), more memory both for storage and while running, usually some sort of SDHC card slot, possibly USB host. Quite a bit more feature-wise. You'll be giving up the tight integration with the Amazon ecosystem but everything but the silk browser can be gotten by running separate apps for each feature.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

osmtj
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I returned the a100 after seeing how inferior the screen was to my wifes Fire. My eyes would hurt on the a100. I now have a Fire of my own.

Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to osmtj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aimfire72
Old
Thanks Meter 116
I agree, the A100 is a nice snappy tablet, but the screen and awful battery life kills it for me, such a shame.

skeeterpro
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimfire72 View Post
I agree, the A100 is a nice snappy tablet, but the screen and awful battery life kills it for me, such a shame.
True. Had mine for a week. Loved the build quality and responsiveness but screen and battery was a deal breaker.

Bit the bullet and rather than compromise on a minimal tab like the KF, got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus. Fabulous little tab! Snappy, great battery, HC (ICS coming). Bit pricey but you get what you pay for these days.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."....A. Einstein
----------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Galaxy Tab S Stock rooted
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Civato Flexbeam 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 6800/OmniROM 4.4
SGS III Stock Rooted TW/Unlocked/4.3

Printerscape
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoplinger View Post
vibrator (thought that was gimmicky until I had a tablet with one)
A vibrator, you say... well that gives me an idea!
HTC Inspire 4G
IceColdSandwich [ICS]
26.14.04.28_M [AT&T]
---------------------------------
Google/ASUS Nexus 7
Stock [Jellybean]

chaose
Old
Thanks Meter 8
how is the tab? I bought one for my parents as a gift and got a fire for myself? no point in getting a tab for myself when quadrant core tablets are tint around the corner

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

BigKenW
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Avoid the A100

I looked at it at Best Buy and the screen was horrible. If you slant it on any angle it has this reflective view. It is really bad. I bought the Fire and it is a LOT better. I don't regret it at all.