5,598,463 Members 46,294 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

will apps work in Windows 8

Tip us?
anna0811 Old
Thanks Meter
Default will apps work in Windows 8

if i install windows 8 on my windows 7 will everything be formatted ?
and other apps i install will that work ?

motioncoding
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Create a new partition if you want a dual boot, otherwise it will overwrite your data, because currently there is no upgrade function. Most Applications will work in the dev release, but MS is changing Framework, so I am not sure if they will work in the final release!

josidhe
Old
Thanks Meter 28
I've encountered a handful of apps that give me grief on Windows 8, but they're pretty old after all. A few classic games that I own through Steam will install well enough, but are a headache to run.

In all fairness, I had similar trouble in Windows 7 (for some reason, a handful of old games redistributed with DOSbox fail to launch), so it's probably safe to say that anything Windows 7 can handle, Windows 8 can as well. For everything else, there are virtual machines.

Wossner
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by josidhe View Post
so it's probably safe to say that anything Windows 7 can handle, Windows 8 can as well.
Not so true

Lacedaemon
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna0811 View Post
if i install windows 8 on my windows 7 will everything be formatted ?
and other apps i install will that work ?
Try this tutorial on how to dual-boot Windows 7 & 8: How to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 Side By Side
Device: HTC EVO 4G LTE
Hardware: 0003
ROM: CPTB Sense 5 (4.13.651.1)
Kernel: 3.4.10-gb03eefc root@abm034 #1
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1b
Baseband: 1.13.11.1105
PRI: 3.02_003
PRL: 25017

Starburst13
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by josidhe View Post

so it's probably safe to say that anything Windows 7 can handle, Windows 8 can as well. For everything else, there are virtual machines.
Not so there are a number of applications that will not run on VM ware, especially some of the tools required to work with Android phones.

My recommendation, get or keep an old laptop with Windows XP service pack 3 and your good to go.

Windows really should have everything backward compatible, but it doesn't.....Sigh!

josidhe
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst13 View Post
Not so there are a number of applications that will not run on VM ware, especially some of the tools required to work with Android phones.

My recommendation, get or keep an old laptop with Windows XP service pack 3 and your good to go.

Windows really should have everything backward compatible, but it doesn't.....Sigh!
My understanding is that, with USB pass through in VMs, there are no significant limitations on what you can do with a USB device from within a virtual machine. There are extensive discussions on using tools like adb from a virtualized Ubuntu box, at least.

As for your final comment, you're on a strange side of the fence. It has long been a *criticism* of Microsoft that it struggled for so long to keep Windows backwards compatible, and many--MANY--users have wanted them to throw caution to the wind and "rebuild from scratch" the OS, with such compatibility-breaking demands as "eliminate the registry" and so on.

Android itself barely stumbles through version changes, with countless applications breaking on each new release,, prompting swarms of app updates with nothing on their change logs but "added support for 2.x". To this day there are apps on the market with separate entries for 1.x devices.

So I would expect advanced users to acknowledge that virtualization is the grand middle ground solution, allowing businesses with ancient tools to keep using them while advancing the actual OS without wasted development time.

Austin Frizzell
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I definitely wouldn't recommend formatting your current Windows 7 partition and installing Windows 8, as it's still a developer preview. Try creating a new partition and dual-booting, this would also allow you to keep all of your current programs and data on your Windows 7 partition.