Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

will apps work in Windows 8

OP anna0811

anna0811
29th November 2011, 09:16 AM   |  #1  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
if i install windows 8 on my windows 7 will everything be formatted ?
and other apps i install will that work ?
29th November 2011, 11:08 PM   |  #2  
Flag Freiburg
Thanks Meter: 10

52 posts
More
Create a new partition if you want a dual boot, otherwise it will overwrite your data, because currently there is no upgrade function. Most Applications will work in the dev release, but MS is changing Framework, so I am not sure if they will work in the final release!
30th November 2011, 01:12 PM   |  #3  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 29

124 posts
More
I've encountered a handful of apps that give me grief on Windows 8, but they're pretty old after all. A few classic games that I own through Steam will install well enough, but are a headache to run.

In all fairness, I had similar trouble in Windows 7 (for some reason, a handful of old games redistributed with DOSbox fail to launch), so it's probably safe to say that anything Windows 7 can handle, Windows 8 can as well. For everything else, there are virtual machines.
5th December 2011, 07:30 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 16

129 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josidhe

so it's probably safe to say that anything Windows 7 can handle, Windows 8 can as well.

Not so true
6th December 2011, 12:47 AM   |  #5  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 42

231 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna0811

if i install windows 8 on my windows 7 will everything be formatted ?
and other apps i install will that work ?

Try this tutorial on how to dual-boot Windows 7 & 8: How to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 Side By Side
6th December 2011, 01:56 AM   |  #6  

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josidhe

so it's probably safe to say that anything Windows 7 can handle, Windows 8 can as well. For everything else, there are virtual machines.

Not so there are a number of applications that will not run on VM ware, especially some of the tools required to work with Android phones.

My recommendation, get or keep an old laptop with Windows XP service pack 3 and your good to go.

Windows really should have everything backward compatible, but it doesn't.....Sigh!
7th December 2011, 09:56 PM   |  #7  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 29

124 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst13

Not so there are a number of applications that will not run on VM ware, especially some of the tools required to work with Android phones.

My recommendation, get or keep an old laptop with Windows XP service pack 3 and your good to go.

Windows really should have everything backward compatible, but it doesn't.....Sigh!

My understanding is that, with USB pass through in VMs, there are no significant limitations on what you can do with a USB device from within a virtual machine. There are extensive discussions on using tools like adb from a virtualized Ubuntu box, at least.

As for your final comment, you're on a strange side of the fence. It has long been a *criticism* of Microsoft that it struggled for so long to keep Windows backwards compatible, and many--MANY--users have wanted them to throw caution to the wind and "rebuild from scratch" the OS, with such compatibility-breaking demands as "eliminate the registry" and so on.

Android itself barely stumbles through version changes, with countless applications breaking on each new release,, prompting swarms of app updates with nothing on their change logs but "added support for 2.x". To this day there are apps on the market with separate entries for 1.x devices.

So I would expect advanced users to acknowledge that virtualization is the grand middle ground solution, allowing businesses with ancient tools to keep using them while advancing the actual OS without wasted development time.
23rd December 2011, 05:40 AM   |  #8  

9 posts
I definitely wouldn't recommend formatting your current Windows 7 partition and installing Windows 8, as it's still a developer preview. Try creating a new partition and dual-booting, this would also allow you to keep all of your current programs and data on your Windows 7 partition.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread