[ROM] CM7 for the Kindle Fire

Search This thread

JackpotClavin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2011
New York
Howdy everybody! I just got CM7 to boot for the first time on the Kindle Fire. As of right now, I believe the touch screen is off 90 degrees. I know there's a fix in the source code, I just forgot where it is but I'll look. It might actually be an edit to the build.prop. Pictures below:

http://i.imgur.com/SE4nx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8ZRCW.jpg

I'd really love to stay and chat, but I'm actually really late for work

More on this when I get off from work and before I gotta leave for school

12/4:

12/13

This ROM is obsolete; it was more of a proof of concept than an actual everyday ROM. It would suggest staying stock until ICS is ready and stable.

The ROM's update.zip
The KF's clockwork recovery to install files located under /sdcard/update.zip
The KF's stock recovery

md5sums
update.zip e0e8f8bb08318ef15c8afc042c2e9766 update.zip
updaterecovery.img 38eb5308439a6f1e256a4914ab06d508 updaterecovery.img
stockrecovery.img c4f028310bd112649c94be6a4171f652 stockrecovery.img

Make sure your battery is fully charged, rooted, you know your way around adb, and that your kindle fire actually connects to adb and works successfully before installing CM7. Installing CM7 will wipe your system, data, and cache, and I'm not responsible for any malfunctions :/ I've done this for versions 6.0 and 6.1, but I have not tested under 6.2

Copy the CM7 zip to the root of your sdcard, so it's /sdcard/update.zip, and copy the updaterecovery.img file to your sdcard so it's /sdcard/updaterecovery.img. For Clockwork, you will need two files to be present under /cache/recovery/ so copy these two files to your sdcard log last_log. You'll need to copy them to the root of the sdcard as well. Before proceeding, I highly recommend you go into adb and verify the md5sums of the two files you just put there. If you aren't familiar with this, you need to unmount your kindle from the PC, type:

adb shell
cd sdcard
md5sum update.zip and make sure the numbers generated after a few seconds match the numbers posted above
md5sum updaterecovery.img and again, make sure the numbers generated after a few seconds match the numbers posted above
If these numbers don't match, I wouldn't proceed as your file might be corrupt, and I would try again

Now we will need to copy these two log files to your cache partition under /cache/recovery so type

adb shell
cd cache
mkdir recovery
cd /
cp /sdcard/log /cache/recovery/
cp /sdcard/last_log /cache/recovery/

If your files are verified to be okay via the md5sums before, we can flash clockwork now, by typing

adb shell
dd if=/sdcard/updaterecovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/recovery
Now, we can reboot recovery by typing "idme bootmode 0x5001"
If it says the bootmode has written, you can type reboot and it'll reboot

I install all of my zips without removing the usb plug from the computer or the kindle and I have never failed once, I don't think I've ever tried it without doing so, but if you don't wanna mess with success, don't remove the usb cord. I'm not saying anything bad will happen because I've never done it, but I'm just saying I'm batting 1.000 without removing the usb cord

Now that you're in clockwork, look below the menu to see if there are any error messages written in white. If you see one about something being read-only, that's fine. If it complains about log and last_log, you might've missed a step above. If you see an error that I haven't mentioned, and you would like to reflash the stock recovery and reboot like none of this ever happened, skip to the bottom.

About Clockwork: since we can't navigate to items in Clockwork, we have to bring the items to us. Basically what I did was I shifted the entries of Clockwork so the "Install update.zip from sdcard" was listed first, not the Reboot system now option. That way, we can just press OK (The power button) and it'll install the CM zip. I also changed it so you don't have to scroll all the way down to the "Yes" option to confirm install as I pushed that to the top also so we can just press OK. In the update.zip I included the wiping of system, data, and cache because we can't navigate to mounts and storage to wipe those things in Clockwork, so we have to do it automagically.

In the clockwork that I made for you, all you have to do is press the power button a bunch of times. There will be a point there you have to scroll down to "Yes", but you can't, that's fine, just press OK, even though it says "No" it will mimic you pressing Yes.

After you press the power button 3 or 4 times, it will being the installation. Give it a minute or so, it will install

After installation, we will need to reflash the stock recovery to your kindle. Type adb shell
mount sdcard
exit (this will bring you back to the non-shell command line)
then adb push /sbin/
So for me, (I use linux) I use adb push /home/jonathan/kf/stockrecovery.img /sbin/ **there's a space after .img and /sbin/**
Then type "dd if=/sbin/stockrecovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/recovery" it will say something about 16 megs written or something. Once that happens, type adb reboot or reboot and your kindle will reboot. Actually it will reboot twice. Give the initial boot a few minutes, and the CM7 boot logo will appear :D

Last edited:

rmagruder

Aug 5, 2009
The only thing that tempers my excitement about this or CM9 is wondering what happens to Amazon's apps once we install a CM build of Android.

1. Will the Kindle still see Amazon and Visa Versa as a registered Kindle owner
  2. Will the Amazon video app still be installable and usable (albeit we have to unroot?)
  3. Re: Above...can CM be unrooted after installed?

Basically, I just want to know what I'm LOSING by going to CM on the Kindle Fire.

JackpotClavin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2011
New York
I wasn't able to test much out because the screen and the touch sensor aren't in sync. Basically the screen is facing one way and the sensors think the screen is oriented 90 degrees in another direction. There's a quick fix but I had to leave for work

I managed to open the wifi screen but couldn't click my ssid let alone type the password with the orientation/sensor hiccup

Sent from my DROID Pro using XDA App

Last edited:

SikYou

Oct 18, 2010
The only thing that tempers my excitement about this or CM9 is wondering what happens to Amazon's apps once we install a CM build of Android.

1. Will the Kindle still see Amazon and Visa Versa as a registered Kindle owner
  2. Will the Amazon video app still be installable and usable (albeit we have to unroot?)
  3. Re: Above...can CM be unrooted after installed?

Basically, I just want to know what I'm LOSING by going to CM on the Kindle Fire.

I don't have all of the answers for sure but I think at this point no one really knows.

1. The device would no longer be registered as a Kindle if it is just stock CM. If you add the regular Kindle for Android app you wou still have access to kindle books but not other content.

2. The Amazon video app should work because it is reported as working on other unrooted devices. You should be able to unroot CM7(9) the same way that we currently unroot the KF. I suspect that it will not be long before we see a modified Kindle Video app that runs on rooted devices as I have noticed an increase in developer activity and interest in the device.

3. Yes

I too am concerned about these things as I have become very accustomed to instant video and all of the other features of the KF. I see many ways of having both. I suspect that once CM is fully operational we will have a zip that we can flash in recovery to add all of the Amazon apps the same way we do with gapps.

thekitch

Nov 16, 2011
The Fire is my first Android device and I have been following the XDA forums closely because this kind of hacking and tweaking is just WAY to cool.

Congrats on the CM7 boot. Can't wait to see more!

zahne

Sep 19, 2009
Got a donate button? I'll throw in for the hard work! Would love working CM7 or 9 on this guy.

SikYou

Oct 18, 2010
You know something about TWRP I don't?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Probably not. I know that there is a working build though and that it has been said to be working great. I know there are still some hurdles but the guys are working hard :cool:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

SikYou

Oct 18, 2010
Talking about TWRP? if so what hurdles?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Yes TWRP. I am not 100% sure what is holding up the release. Agrabren has TWRP working on the KF but says that it may be a week or 2 until it is ready for release, he is the only one that knows for sure still needs to be done. I think 1 problem is lack of an easy way to boot in to recovery. Either way, looks like we aren't far off.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Last edited:

atinm

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 16, 2010
Howdy everybody! I just got CM7 to boot for the first time on the Kindle Fire. As of right now, I believe the touch screen is off 90 degrees. I know there's a fix in the source code, I just forgot where it is but I'll look. It might actually be an edit to the build.prop. Pictures below:

Congrats! Do you have a github repository somewhere that you've got your code committed that we can look at? I do CM7 for the Samsung phones (Galaxy S and Galaxy SII), and so I'm interested in putting Ice Cream Sandwich on the Fire but haven't got around to doing anything on my Kindle because I've been busy the ICS for the phones. Starting with what you've got would be a good start and then I can try to put ICS on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

12/4:

12/13

This ROM is obsolete; it was more of a proof of concept than an actual everyday ROM. It would suggest staying stock until ICS is ready and stable.

The ROM's update.zip
    The KF's clockwork recovery to install files located under /sdcard/update.zip
    The KF's stock recovery

md5sums
    update.zip e0e8f8bb08318ef15c8afc042c2e9766 update.zip
    updaterecovery.img 38eb5308439a6f1e256a4914ab06d508 updaterecovery.img
    stockrecovery.img c4f028310bd112649c94be6a4171f652 stockrecovery.img

Make sure your battery is fully charged, rooted, you know your way around adb, and that your kindle fire actually connects to adb and works successfully before installing CM7. Installing CM7 will wipe your system, data, and cache, and I'm not responsible for any malfunctions :/ I've done this for versions 6.0 and 6.1, but I have not tested under 6.2

Copy the CM7 zip to the root of your sdcard, so it's /sdcard/update.zip, and copy the updaterecovery.img file to your sdcard so it's /sdcard/updaterecovery.img. For Clockwork, you will need two files to be present under /cache/recovery/ so copy these two files to your sdcard log last_log. You'll need to copy them to the root of the sdcard as well. Before proceeding, I highly recommend you go into adb and verify the md5sums of the two files you just put there. If you aren't familiar with this, you need to unmount your kindle from the PC, type:

adb shell
    cd sdcard
    md5sum update.zip and make sure the numbers generated after a few seconds match the numbers posted above
    md5sum updaterecovery.img and again, make sure the numbers generated after a few seconds match the numbers posted above
    If these numbers don't match, I wouldn't proceed as your file might be corrupt, and I would try again

Now we will need to copy these two log files to your cache partition under /cache/recovery so type

adb shell
    cd cache
    mkdir recovery
    cd /
    cp /sdcard/log /cache/recovery/
    cp /sdcard/last_log /cache/recovery/

If your files are verified to be okay via the md5sums before, we can flash clockwork now, by typing

adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/updaterecovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/recovery
    Now, we can reboot recovery by typing "idme bootmode 0x5001"
    If it says the bootmode has written, you can type reboot and it'll reboot

I install all of my zips without removing the usb plug from the computer or the kindle and I have never failed once, I don't think I've ever tried it without doing so, but if you don't wanna mess with success, don't remove the usb cord. I'm not saying anything bad will happen because I've never done it, but I'm just saying I'm batting 1.000 without removing the usb cord

Now that you're in clockwork, look below the menu to see if there are any error messages written in white. If you see one about something being read-only, that's fine. If it complains about log and last_log, you might've missed a step above. If you see an error that I haven't mentioned, and you would like to reflash the stock recovery and reboot like none of this ever happened, skip to the bottom.

About Clockwork: since we can't navigate to items in Clockwork, we have to bring the items to us. Basically what I did was I shifted the entries of Clockwork so the "Install update.zip from sdcard" was listed first, not the Reboot system now option. That way, we can just press OK (The power button) and it'll install the CM zip. I also changed it so you don't have to scroll all the way down to the "Yes" option to confirm install as I pushed that to the top also so we can just press OK. In the update.zip I included the wiping of system, data, and cache because we can't navigate to mounts and storage to wipe those things in Clockwork, so we have to do it automagically.

In the clockwork that I made for you, all you have to do is press the power button a bunch of times. There will be a point there you have to scroll down to "Yes", but you can't, that's fine, just press OK, even though it says "No" it will mimic you pressing Yes.

After you press the power button 3 or 4 times, it will being the installation. Give it a minute or so, it will install

After installation, we will need to reflash the stock recovery to your kindle. Type adb shell
    mount sdcard
    exit (this will bring you back to the non-shell command line)
    then adb push /sbin/
    So for me, (I use linux) I use adb push /home/jonathan/kf/stockrecovery.img /sbin/ **there's a space after .img and /sbin/**
    Then type "dd if=/sbin/stockrecovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/mmci-omap-hs.1/by-name/recovery" it will say something about 16 megs written or something. Once that happens, type adb reboot or reboot and your kindle will reboot. Actually it will reboot twice. Give the initial boot a few minutes, and the CM7 boot logo will appear :D
    Thread closed!

Its time for cool down period.

Cleaning the mess up.

Edit: okay i cleaned the mess up. if i have to come back its not just cleaning.
    This time just a warning.
    Keep it nice and friendly please.

I will reopen the thread, but subscribed now, so i will follow it very closely.
    And when i see a boo or baa, infractions will be flying.

Greetz Whiskey
    Forum Moderator
    wondering why there isn't any walk through video of CM7 on kindle fire available...

Because you haven't made it yet. Please let us know when it's done. Thanks!
    everything is running okay, the only noticeable bug right now is this if you look at the numbers above the letters, some numbers are missing

i just wanna make sure everything is in ship shape, and i will play with that pulled system and try to get the light sensor working. expect a release sunday night
    Can we please get rid of the useless MIUI & ghetto Kindle conversations, please? Let's stay on topic - we've got some serious devs in here willing to give us a hand with cm7 & ICS...