FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

FC09 being released OTA, FC19.rdf posted, still 2.3.6

1,323 posts
Thanks Meter: 584
 
By poit, Senior Member on 29th November 2011, 04:59 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
12th December 2011, 07:49 PM |#251  
KennyG123's Avatar
RC-RT & Moderator Committees / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 31,917
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poit

All it tells us is that there are new test builds floating around. There is information describing what's in the build, but that's often inaccurate. What you can infer from this is that there WILL be another firmware release for the epic, and it's not being ignored by Sam/Sprint.

Or just a maintenance release depending on how much is altered.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
12th December 2011, 08:03 PM |#252  
poit's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 584
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123

Or just a maintenance release depending on how much is altered.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

It appears to be Android 2.3.6. It's not likely to be ICS so I guess you could call any additional GB release a maintenance release.

I've added a basic explaination for what these files are to the OP.
Last edited by poit; 12th December 2011 at 08:08 PM.
12th December 2011, 09:07 PM |#253  
Specialksg1's Avatar
Senior Member
Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 216
 
More
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android..._history#2.3.4
Would this answer the "what is this update going to be?" question?
12th December 2011, 09:08 PM |#254  
Senior Member
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 50
 
More
They should keep their builds up with the Nexus S 4G sources, which I believe is at 2.3.7. I don't understand why they are so afraid of re-basing to small incremental bug-fix builds from Google. It's not likely to break anything; only fix things. And yet, they keep building on out-dated sources with known issues already fixed by Google.
12th December 2011, 09:12 PM |#255  
Specialksg1's Avatar
Senior Member
Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 216
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny32

They should keep their builds up with the Nexus S 4G sources, which I believe is at 2.3.7. I don't understand why they are so afraid of re-basing to small incremental bug-fix builds from Google. It's not likely to break anything; only fix things. And yet, they keep building on out-dated sources with known issues already fixed by Google.

2.3.7 would do nothing for our phones because we don't have the chip to use our phones like a credit card. So they are probably gonna finish up the 2.3.6 testing and I would imagine that will be the final "official" release for the epic 4G ... at least untill CM goes official
12th December 2011, 10:21 PM |#256  
poit's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 584
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny32

They should keep their builds up with the Nexus S 4G sources, which I believe is at 2.3.7. I don't understand why they are so afraid of re-basing to small incremental bug-fix builds from Google. It's not likely to break anything; only fix things. And yet, they keep building on out-dated sources with known issues already fixed by Google.

The 2.3.7 build just adds google wallet support. No big deal and not applicable to our phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to poit For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th December 2011, 11:04 PM |#257  
Senior Member
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 50
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poit

The 2.3.7 build just adds google wallet support. No big deal and not applicable to our phones.

Yeah, I didn't notice that until after I found the 2.3.7 changelog. But they did what I said with EI22, which was dumb really. Not to mention a waste of development resources on, say, ICS.
13th December 2011, 08:48 PM |#258  
stud_muffler's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag RI
Thanks Meter: 32
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialksg1

2.3.7 would do nothing for our phones because we don't have the chip to use our phones like a credit card. So they are probably gonna finish up the 2.3.6 testing and I would imagine that will be the final "official" release for the epic 4G ... at least untill CM goes official

Quote:
Originally Posted by poit

The 2.3.7 build just adds google wallet support. No big deal and not applicable to our phones.

You can get microSd card with embedded NFC chip.

13th December 2011, 08:59 PM |#259  
KennyG123's Avatar
RC-RT & Moderator Committees / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 31,917
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stud_muffler

You can get microSd card with embedded NFC chip.

But will our phone support...I am guessing not unless they upgrade it to 2.3.7.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
13th December 2011, 09:06 PM |#260  
Specialksg1's Avatar
Senior Member
Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 216
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stud_muffler

You can get microSd card with embedded NFC chip.

Interesting ... very interesting ...
13th December 2011, 09:20 PM |#261  
austin420's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag kansas city mo
Thanks Meter: 416
 
More
Do these nfc embedded sd cards have strorage also? Id hate to lose my 16 gigs.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA v App
Last edited by austin420; 14th December 2011 at 01:26 AM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes