Stay or Go with the SkyRocket lack of Dev Support

Tip us?

Earthdog
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76

DONATE TO ME
Default Stay or Go with the SkyRocket lack of Dev Support

So here we are approaching the 30 day window for returns with ATT.

I previously had a ATT Galaxy 2 and returned it for the SkyRocket because I am in an LTE area. Well I love the LTE Speeds but I have some negatives with the SR and would like some input not flames.

Concerns:

1. Processor is not as fast as the Exynos and the benchmarks support the statement. As a result video's can get choppy.

2. Kernel Development is limited and moving slow.

3. ROM Development is limited and moving slow.

I could live with issue 1 since I think with development 2 and 3 will be resolved.

I am not taking potshots at the development members. I personally have made donations to several members in hopes of stimulating the development and I appreciate all that has been done but it's not moving very well. Each and every ROM has issues whether its MMS or LTE Support or SoD on the kernel development.

So do I stay or go? What are your thoughts are you staying or going?

Does anyone see any solid development on the horizon?

Overall I believe the device is not being adopted a a high enough rate and this is definitely caused by Samsung segmenting the market by morphing this device to each and every carrier. Which has hindered the development efforts for each of these mutated devices.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Quotes to Live by:

If a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be solved, worrying will do no good.

Don't complain unless you are willing to offer a solution and participate in the solution. If not then SHUTUP!!!

xAnimal5
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthsdog View Post

I previously had a ATT Galaxy 2 and returned it for the SkyRocket because I am in an LTE area. Well I love the LTE Speeds but I have some negatives with the SR and would like some input not flames.

Concerns:

1. Processor is not as fast as the Exynos and the benchmarks support the statement. As a result video's can get choppy.

I could live with issue 1 since I think with development 2 and 3 will be resolved.

I am not taking potshots at the development members. I personally have made donations to several members in hopes of stimulating the development and I appreciate all that has been done but it's not moving very well. Each and every ROM has issues whether its MMS or LTE Support or SoD on the kernel development.

Overall I believe the device is not being adopted a a high enough rate and this is definitely caused by Samsung segmenting the market by morphing this device to each and every carrier. Which has hindered the development efforts for each of these mutated devices.

The sprint and at&t og sgs2 are the most similiar to the International one.

The ****rocket and tmo sgs2 are the mutated ones.

I was planning to get a ****rocket, but after reading about the LTE throttling, bad ppi, and snapdragon chipset, I decided to sell my og SGSII and go with the Note.

Lets just say, once you use the note, you will not be able to use small phones anymore.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
My Devices
International Samsung Galaxy Note
-The most powerful phone on the market

Asus Transformer Prime
-The most powerful tablet on the market

the2rrell
Old
(Last edited by the2rrell; 29th November 2011 at 08:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAnimal5 View Post
The sprint and at&t og sgs2 are the most similiar to the International one.

The ****rocket and tmo sgs2 are the mutated ones.

I was planning to get a ****rocket, but after reading about the LTE throttling, bad ppi, and snapdragon chipset, I decided to sell my og SGSII and go with the Note.

Lets just say, once you use the note, you will not be able to use small phones anymore.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

i would agree, but the note is not LTE ready if you buy it overseas so you can keep it. once it hits the US with LTE i will buy it and will not look back.

for now i am very happy with the rocket, i dont notice this lag in videos or ****rocket talk. i had the sgs2 for a week and was not blown away buy any means in the comparison. do what you will - ITS YOUR phone and you have to live with it. i plan on upgrading to either the nexus if it hits or the Note once it hits anyway so the rocket is just a short stop for 4 months or so till one of thoes drops anyway.

silver03wrx
Old
Recognized Developer / Contributor
Thanks Meter 2687

DONATE TO ME
Quadcores are just around the corner. Its pointless upgrading to a dual core. I will gladly keep my skyrocket until i pick up my quadcore sammy device. 4 cores mabye 2 gigs ram and a big super amoled with lte is what im waiting for

the2rrell
Old
Thanks Meter 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver03wrx View Post
Quadcores are just around the corner. Its pointless upgrading to a dual core. I will gladly keep my skyrocket until i pick up my quadcore sammy device. 4 cores mabye 2 gigs ram and a big super amoled with lte is what im waiting for
+1.............

nuwayman
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Only time will tell as far as the development goes. I don't have a skyrocket cause no lte for me. Also now reading about the throttling going on I'm not sure if I care about lte anymore. Now another question for all you lte guys is who is going to return the skyrocket for the lg nitro hd lte coming out in about a week.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

the2rrell
Old
(Last edited by the2rrell; 29th November 2011 at 08:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwayman View Post
Only time will tell as far as the development goes. I don't have a skyrocket cause no lte for me. Also now reading about the throttling going on I'm not sure if I care about lte anymore. Now another question for all you lte guys is who is going to return the skyrocket for the lg nitro hd lte coming out in about a week.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
if its not samsung, im not switching<<<

and it seems ilke it has the same specs as the skyrocket less the screen.

Justinfedor
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthsdog View Post

Concerns:

My quad score on here (stock) is way better than my infuse. Idc about lte. My phone is always connected to wifi so its whatever. Phones take awhile to get custom roms. Give it some time to settle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

silver03wrx
Old
Recognized Developer / Contributor
Thanks Meter 2687

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by the2rrell View Post
if its not samsung, im not switching<<<
+100...... ive owned htc hero. Htc evo shift.htc evo. Lg g2x. Htc mytouch 4g. Sammy epic. Sammy epic 4g touch. Sammy sgs2. Sammy sgs2 skyrockrt. Sammy moment.. Moto atrix. Kyocera echo.. and definately sammy is much better then moto or htc or lg or kyocera.

justanothernoob
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Returned my Skyrocket, ordered the Galaxy Nexus and not looking back...
Obsession Progression:
Samsung Galaxy Note II - AT&T
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Infuse 4G
Viewsonic G-Tablet
Dell Streak